Thread: Named Character showing a random nickname instead of surname

Icon1 Named Character showing a random nickname instead of surname

First character I've modded in, in-game he starts as "*first name* the Saint". How can I prevent this?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Named Character showing a random nickname instead of surname

This is governed by the traits he obtains. It's called an 'epithet'.

The only way to totally avoid this is to edit the trait itself, eg delete the line that defines the epithet. Or in your case remove the relevant trait from the character's set up (descr_strat or script)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    This is governed by the traits he obtains. It's called an 'epithet'.

The only way to totally avoid this is to edit the trait itself, eg delete the line that defines the epithet. Or in your case remove the relevant trait from the character's set up (descr_strat or script)
    Yeah, I figured if he wasn't the Saint it would be something else. I deleted the epithet line from the Inspirational_Speaker trait and it got replaced by a different one from a different trait, so my guess is since I don't really want to remove the traits nor the epithets, I can just make the surname an epithet itself though I don't know how to do that yet. Is it something I can do through your geomod tool as well? Maybe the Label field below Portrait?

Yeah, though I figured that the rest of his traits would give him other epithets if I took that one out. I didn't want to delete them from the traits themselves either so my guess is doing a trait that gives him the surname again. Is it something I can do with your geomod tool as well? Maybe the Label field under Portrait?

Nevermind, I figured out how to create the custom trait with the surname as epithet.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you managed on your own. It is in fact rather common to create so-called 'orphaned' traits for the sole purpose of using epithets. Meaning that the trait has no trigger so that it will given only manually, usually via descr_strat\spawning but occasionally also through script.

We used it extensively in 1648 for custom surnames and nick names.

Code:
    Trait Bierjorge
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Bierjorge
            Description Bierjorge_desc
            EffectsDescription Bierjorge_effects_desc
            Epithet Bierjorge_epithet_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect TroopMorale 1
        Effect Violence  10
        Effect Loyalty  8

----------------

character    Johann_Georg von_Sachsen, named character, male, leader, age 33, x 315, y 202, portrait byz_leader, label Sachsen_erbe1
    traits Factionleader 1 , Bierjorge 1 , GoodCommander 2 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , GoodDefender 1 , Intelligent 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , Sachsen 1 , Erzmarschall 1 , Albertiner 1 , Wettin 1 , kurfurst 1 , Protestant 1
    ancillaries taticius, kur_hut