Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Princes, Kings and Heroes

Default Princes, Kings and Heroes

Just realised there is now a WIPS Remastered Mod thread forum... so thought I'd get in first!

PKH is migrating to Rome Remastered for its first release, which will be a simplified version grouping the various barons and families into factions such as the Welsh Marcher Lords. Hopefully this will resolve some of the issues that were bogging down our M2TW attempts!

Wilddog has been developing IWTE to generate new meshes and textures for the RR 3D maps, and we're currently experimenting with some refinements to cliffs and adjacent sea areas.

There's been some basic de-romanising of the UI done, and new RTW style faction icons by Kurdish Nomad:

The WIP IWTE process is adding some interesting 'normal' texturing to mountains that wasn't possible in M2.

The ability to see through the sea in RR is really nice (though the depths and my 3d frame need some tweaking)

Instead of the high definition '3d effect' loading and splash screens we're going back to our old sepia/sketch/parchment type styles:

Default Re: Princes, Kings and Heroes

After a complete failure to get preview pics to work yesterday, I've now added pics to the OP!

This looks cool. I never heard of the mod before so could you give a basic run down on what it has specifically and what is changing due to it's move to RR?

The UI looks really nice. Seriously, I know the old Rome/Med UI used to have space for all those intricate details and extra UI decorations with swords, horns and everything on it, but at the same time the new UI allows for some nice "clear" design and aesthetic behind it. Makes me wonder though how it's going to work with UI overhaul mods, in theory (as long as the mod in question doesn't really touch sizes/positions) it should be fine. But I wonder in practice, because some graphics/backgrounds are definitely changed here. Hopefully both are always fully or almost agreeable and weird-graphical-issues-free because, for example, I know how I approach this - I would hate to play anything on Remastered when no way to get rid of the vanilla UI design and make it better, I simply would have a HARD time to play and enjoy the mods

great to hear that it is coming to Rome Remastered.
    getting older

Nice to see others ideas with the incorporation of Lordship of the Isles, Lordship of Ireland, and Scots Nobles... Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Zantorian View Post
    Nice to see others ideas with the incorporation of Lordship of the Isles, Lordship of Ireland, and Scots Nobles... Well done!
    Thank you! We had some good advice on rationalising the faction set-up

@TesalionLortus -I'm not quite sure what you meant about UI overhaul mods. The position of UI elements in RR is theoretically moveable, but it is a huge pain to do! I think it was in M2/RTW as well. Identifying the parts and swapping the images to something more appropriate will definitely do for now!

@NostalgiaFan - I will try and do a more organised explanation and preview... but if you ever followed the old forum you'll realise I'm quite bad at getting round to publicity

Still haven't got round to a proper preview, but there is a little thing we figured out how to do:

very nice!

Thanks sashar!

I've forgotten to update this again, sorry.

There's some new things the recent RR patch allows. Mixed models within units, including ones specified by armour upgrade:

Unique and/or specified upgrades to settlements using different plans which apply to both battle and strat models:

We (me, KurdishNomad and xHoly) have been working on some building related stuff:

Which will include some height changes in the wall perimeter:

wilddog has also been developing some 'lake' functionality for the campaign map mesh which means lochs can look like lochs and not lost bits of sea...

does that mean you can make separate castles and towns and have the castles be multi-layered like in med 2?

Quote Originally Posted by sashar View Post
    does that mean you can make separate castles and towns and have the castles be multi-layered like in med 2?
    Sort of - We're going for defined and fixed types of settlement, standard city type, ones that had Norman keeps and will retain them, ones that grow from Motte and Baileys that will remain defensive type but vary according to who builds the upgrade. Giving hidden resource specified attributes to them will allow that to work similarly to Med 2 just without the conversion between types.

Multi-layering doesn't really work in RTW/RR though you can do fake inner rings so long as you just leave gate areas open. However as the AI has 'issues' with multi-layering in M2 we were considering doing that anyway!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Still haven't got round to a proper preview, but there is a little thing we figured out how to do:
    Animated strat map stuff - awesome! I have always dreamed of getting those seagulls\eagles from Troy into M2TW....

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Still awesome

those units looking very good!
    getting older

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Really liking those coastlines, was that something you guys added or have I just never noticed them... Maybe it's the textures or water, colours look great, real...

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Really liking those coastlines, was that something you guys added or have I just never noticed them... Maybe it's the textures or water, colours look great, real...
    As usual I keep forgetting to update or reply to this! Sorry!!!

The coast stuff works a bit better in RR as the sea is transparent. Unfortunately though you can't directly colour it like you could in RTW/M2, so you have to manipulate the depth of the mesh below sea level and the textures applied to get a result other than just bland blue sea...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ah, transparent water.

Thought that wasn't something I'd seen before (also just noticed one of your comments says exactly that )....

anny updates?
    getting older

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast