Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Amendment] Section 3 - Article I

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Amendment] Section 3 - Article I

Rewards and medals are revoked in both the real and the digital world, on a not very infrequent basis, so I don't understand how our perception of the citizenship is relevant to the debate.
    I do not believe you.

When was the last time someone's award was revoked?

I mean, even Parafix has the award he cheated to get, does he not?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Opposed

The amendment doesn't say what would happen if an appeal made within 72 hours gets denied or thrown out. Do they automatically get a free pass? Praetorium appeals are also not public so nothing there would be available for curial decision making as a matter of course.

As far as I'm concerned the existing point limit of 1 is just fine and none of the comments in this thread have convinced me of the need for the amendment to be honest.
    Last edited by Tango12345; September 23, 2021 at 09:07 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

The amendment doesn't say what would happen if an appeal made within 72 hours gets denied or thrown out. Do they automatically get a free pass? Praetorium appeals are also not public so nothing there would be available for curial decision making.
    Do they already have an infraction? If so, they would then have their citizenship suspended. Do they have no infractions? Then nothing would happen until they get their second one.

Infractions under appeal
    It says infractions under appeal, which means once it's denied or thrown out it's no longer under appeal.

Your wording is more ambiguous than you intended then and can very easily be read as the exemption being permanent in that the decision/action point for no further action would already have been reached. If you really want to keep that wording then you should add 'until the appeal is completed' after the words 'further action' or a similiar clarification.

Alternatively you could completely rewrite that bit and talk about pausing any further action until the completion of the appeal rather than using the word exempt. That is rather less ambiguous.

Or not, considering I'll likely end up opposing this anyway it wouldn't change much.
    Last edited by Tango12345; September 23, 2021 at 09:44 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Why did you close this thread?

Did I? Apologies, must have been a fat fingers issue on my phone. If I were to effectively veto something I would have the decency to say so.
    Last edited by Tango12345; September 23, 2021 at 09:56 AM.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I was hoping that was the case , thanks for clearing it up.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Why did you close this thread?
    Why have you not withdrawn the proposal? Abdulmecid's post demonstrated it is based on the misunderstanding that people can get infracted for trivialities. Or is there another motivation or objective you'd like us to consider?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Why have you not withdrawn the proposal?
    Why would I?

I do not believe that his post demonstrated anything that would change the objective of this amendment, which is to increase the threshold by which a user's citizenship is suspended by default.

I do not think a single infraction rises to that level, regardless of Abdul's opinion.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Indeed, this proposal is not changing in any way the mechanics of the automatic suspension system, it's just making it slightly less strict
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Except that Abdül demonstrated it is not being made "slightly less strict" but rather ridiculously lax, in as much as you could be a repeat offender with half a dozen violations before the citizenry deigns to act on it.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

That's demonstrably false, though. You can't have more than 1 active infraction before your citizenship is suspended under this new proposed system. I don't know how you expect someone to rack up a "half dozen violations" without getting more than one infraction.

It is not up to the citizenry to act on it in this case, we're not talking about an Ostrakon here. The action is taken immediately by the Consul once the citizen has more than one active infraction.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Ah, I had overlooked the restriction to 1 point before suspension. I stand corrected then on "half a dozen", though one point is still someone who broke the same rule at least twice. I would expect from a citizen to get the message the first time with the point-less (mind the hyphen!) note.

As for "action taken", establishing an automatism by amendment is still the citizenry acting. Whether action is taken "manually" on a case by case basis or "automatically" by implementing a rule is of no importance to the question that it is the citizenry's agency at work in suspending citizenship (or not).
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Why have you not withdrawn the proposal? Abdulmecid's post demonstrated it is based on the misunderstanding that people can get infracted for trivialities. Or is there another motivation or objective you'd like us to consider?
    People can, and are, issued infractions for "trivialities" (that being behaviour not worthy of Citizen suspension). This is one of the reasons why ~25% of appeals are granted in the Tribunal. More importantly, Moderation itself recognizes that not all infractions are equal. This is why there is a points based system in which functional consequences are absent unless a user accrues a significant number points. The purpose of a single point infraction is to act as a warning for minor/soft offenses. If Citizen standards are going to be integrated into Moderation action, it is rational that they should be integrated in accordance with this system. I understand that Moderation isn't going to support an amendment which limits their influence, even if it doesn't actually separate them from exercising control over the Curia.
    Last edited by Cope; September 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

For the good of the site I suggest that Hex vetoes this if it does manage to ignominiously pass. Opposed.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Why would I?

I do not believe that his post demonstrated anything that would change the objective of this amendment, which is to increase the threshold by which a user's citizenship is suspended by default.

I do not think a single infraction rises to that level, regardless of Abdul's opinion.
    Ok, at least we know where we stand then. This has nothing to do with infractions given for trivialities. It really is about lowering the standards of behaviour. E.g. you think people citizens should be able to hold on to their badge even if after the initial warnings Abdulmecid mentioned people get infracted not once, but twice for things like defying moderation or insulting people.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    For the good of the site I suggest that Hex vetoes this if it does manage to ignominiously pass. Opposed.
    No mandatory suspension rule existed prior to a year or two ago and there was no issue.

but twice for things like defying moderation or insulting people.
    I urge you to re-read the amendment once again. There is an automatic suspension issued after the second infraction.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I urge you to re-read the amendment once again. There is an automatic suspension issued after the second infraction.
    Indeed. I guess I'd better re state one point: this amendment is not changing in any way the actual system, it just give Citizens in trouble an extra opportunity to improve.

Now this is purely a matter of where one believes the bar has to be put, someone wants it higher, someone wants it lower, that's normal, and the majority will win as usual, but please stop addressing this like if it is trying to destroy the fabulous higher standards (that for so long have failed all of us, both with Staff/Citizen referrals and Ostrakons), that's simply false and quite hypocritical, honestly.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    My personal opinion on setting the bar aside, I will rebuke this advocacy for hex to overreach (not in permissions perhaps, but in spirit). If the citizenry want to raise the number, lower the bar whatever, that is their business and what the citizens do among themselves has had little to do with 'the good of the site' for some time. A lot of this issue is semantic. Disagreement is one thing, comments like this are just another part of the problem. Don't like it, act strictly as a citizen and oppose, or continue the fad of resigning citizenship in protest since it will have clearly gone past your personal desires.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Indeed. I guess I'd better re state one point: this amendment is not changing in any way the actual system, it just give Citizens in trouble an extra opportunity to improve.

Now this is purely a matter of where one believes the bar has to be put, someone wants it higher, someone wants it lower, that's normal, and the majority will win as usual, but please stop addressing this like if it is trying to destroy the fabulous higher standards (that for so long have failed all of us, both with Staff/Citizen referrals and Ostrakons), that's simply false and quite hypocritical, honestly.
    I respectfully disagree. Whether you never allow a certain behaviour or whether you allow it once is not an incremental change, but a categorical one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Commodus View Post
    My personal opinion on setting the bar aside, I will rebuke this advocacy for hex to overreach (not in permissions perhaps, but in spirit). If the citizenry want to raise the number, lower the bar whatever, that is their business and what the citizens do among themselves has had little to do with 'the good of the site' for some time. A lot of this issue is semantic. Disagreement is one thing, comments like this are just another part of the problem. Don't like it, act strictly as a citizen and oppose, or continue the fad of resigning citizenship in protest since it will have clearly gone past your personal desires.
    I get your point, but there is another angle, which is that if Hex decides a change is such that the whole system of Citizenship is no longer of value to the site, it has the choice to veto the change or get rid of it altogether.

As Abdulmecid pointed out, in terms of behaviour, this decision allows citizens to be below par relative to the entire membership. How can you then defend their status as respected and privileged members? Surely it must make members indifferent or quite possibly resentful.
    Last edited by Muizer; September 24, 2021 at 08:05 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast