Thread: Campaign feedback from 340 turns as Bosphoros

Default Campaign feedback from 340 turns as Bosphoros

Back playing the mod for the first time in a while, since about 2.2b I think... Progress has been awesome, all the factions look unique and I can't wait to try a few different ones. Great job!!<br><br>Just a few observations that may be of interest (or not!)<br><br>Bosphoros is an interesting one, great mix of units - with a really strong late roster, but they are similar to Baktria in that you are going to be short of colonists for a long time. I played slow and did not prioritize this, by the time I grabbed Byzantion and got Khersonesos up to polis level it was pretty late and I was desperate for colonists. Leading to a lot of public order issues later on - the happiness and law bonuses from hellenic polis and colony buildings are big and necessary! When I started moving into Histrie, Zikideva and Kabyle later on after they had been held by Getae for 150 turns, and I had to leave almost 3/4 stacks there to maintain order. Even when I used an allied state for a while in this area, I couldn't find a way to convert it to factional eventually without a heavy garrison - I guess some of these are troublesome regions? I eventually stopped after taking most of Greece at turn 340-ish<br><br>I like the increased movement points, they really make the campaign a lot more dynamic, particularly when venturing onto the Steppe. Fleets seem to be a bit too much IMHO though. I defer to the histrorical analysis of others, but they make some ridiculous things possible from a gameplay point of view. Like sailing across half the Mediterranean upon losing a naval battle! As an aside, I would consider reducing the number of men in fleets to similar to the trusty Pontomora - this would have the effect of making fleet battles more decisive, rather than having to chase ships around the entire Med to get a final engagement. This would be historically accurate I think.<br><br>I don't mind the attacks and peace requests, if you read a bit on the period it kind of fits tbh - particularly with tribal confederations acting somewhat independently. But there has been some weird AI behavior at times, whole armies marching from Greece/Thrace through Byzantium to attack random cities on the west coast of Asia minor. No Seleucid development of Ipsos, but stationing 4 full stacks permanently there? A real rush for Krete and Rhodos. These two islands must have changed hands between Koinon, Makedonia, Epiros, Seleucids, Ptolemaioi, Qarthadast, Pergamon, Pontus etc etc... just felt a bit odd. Inability to deal with rebels inside AI borders for decades..<br><br>Having said that, most of the factions progressed, expanded and conflicted in pleasing ways... there was a lot more expansion than in previous versions I have played. Which offers much more of a gameplay challenge. Rome has steadily expanded and fought several Punic wars and is starting to push into Spain. Lougiones lost the northern European shuffle and horded - still roaming around Southern Gaul. Nabateans had their moments, but also got horded when the Sabau moved North. There was no major delays on any of the hording events BTW. Epiros won Greece pretty quick but left a full stack in almost every city... they pushed Makedonia into Illyria. Seluecids have been mostly stable fighting the expected wars, but maintaining their position (in was nice to see a wave of rebellions after the king was killed, that they eventually had to reconquer!) There has been a real see-saw in the east, but no-one has really gained an upper hand. The barbarian factions have all been really active, lots of back and forth also. Only one who was a non-entity was Numidia, they got bottled in one province early and beset by rebels they never dealt with....&nbsp;<br><br>If y'all ever get round to getting a new faction I would love to see the Ardiaei added, there is space there, the core units already exists, and it might balance out other factions in the area. I would write a justification if I could find the time! Other minor stuff that would be nice to add is some maps in the guide that show, the various pastoral and nomadic areas, starting hellenic polis and levels, plus Royal_core (this effects a lot of the government types I think?). Would be a "nice to have" but I understand there are probably more important priorities heheh!<br><br>Thanks again for all the hard work - it is an amazing achievement! Sorry for the text wall, let me know if you want any other feedback? not sure how often people take a slow burn campaign this long.

Default Re: Campaign feedback from 340 turns as Bosphoros

Nice of you to take a good, long dive as the Kimmerios Bopshoros!

I have played this faction 2-3 times and I have to say, most of what you say is on point except the following point and with an additional question:

• The situation with the colonists for the KB is not as desperate compared to Baktria as you do have the option of taking Sinope and developing Khersonesos' minor polis to get your trio of polises to get the colony ball rolling....
    • Did the Sauromatae give you any trouble at all? They tend to be the most dangerous enemy the KB encounters throughout the campaign .

For more of my take, check this out over on the faction difficulty trend:
    Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    My guide to the KB
    If you think the KB is complete, its not, there is more stuff in the works for them and word has it that a government overhaul is among future plans for v2.4.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Can you post a picture of the mini map please ? That would be an interesting feedback.

Aijak, I got a crash while posting this and it lost all the formatting - sorry again for the actual text wall!! Here is how it should have originally looked. I guess I don't have editing privileges!

Back playing the mod for the first time in a while, since about 2.2b I think... Progress has been awesome, all the factions look unique and I can't wait to try a few different ones. Great job!!

Just a few observations that may be of interest (or not!)

Bosphoros is an interesting one, great mix of units - with a really strong late roster, but they are similar to Baktria in that you are going to be short of colonists for a long time. I played slow and did not prioritize this, by the time I grabbed Byzantion and got Khersonesos up to polis level it was pretty late and I was desperate for colonists. Leading to a lot of public order issues later on - the happiness and law bonuses from hellenic polis and colony buildings are big and necessary! When I started moving into Histrie, Zikideva and Kabyle later on after they had been held by Getae for 150 turns, and I had to leave almost 3/4 stacks there to maintain order. Even when I used an allied state for a while in this area, I couldn't find a way to convert it to factional eventually without a heavy garrison - I guess some of these are troublesome regions? I eventually stopped after taking most of Greece at turn 340-ish

I like the increased movement points, they really make the campaign a lot more dynamic, particularly when venturing onto the Steppe. Fleets seem to be a bit too much IMHO though. I defer to the histrorical analysis of others, but they make some ridiculous things possible from a gameplay point of view. Like sailing across half the Mediterranean upon losing a naval battle! As an aside, I would consider reducing the number of men in fleets to similar to the trusty Pontomora - this would have the effect of making fleet battles more decisive, rather than having to chase ships around the entire Med to get a final engagement. This would be historically accurate I think.
    I don't mind the attacks and peace requests, if you read a bit on the period it kind of fits tbh - particularly with tribal confederations acting somewhat independently. But there has been some weird AI behavior at times, whole armies marching from Greece/Thrace through Byzantium to attack random cities on the west coast of Asia minor. No Seleucid development of Ipsos, but stationing 4 full stacks permanently there? A real rush for Krete and Rhodos. These two islands must have changed hands between Koinon, Makedonia, Epiros, Seleucids, Ptolemaioi, Qarthadast, Pergamon, Pontus etc etc... just felt a bit odd. Inability to deal with rebels inside AI borders for decades..

Having said that, most of the factions progressed, expanded and conflicted in pleasing ways... there was a lot more expansion than in previous versions I have played. Which offers much more of a gameplay challenge. Rome has steadily expanded and fought several Punic wars and is starting to push into Spain. Lougiones lost the northern European shuffle and horded - still roaming around Southern Gaul. Nabateans had their moments, but also got horded when the Sabau moved North. There was no major delays on any of the hording events BTW. Epiros won Greece pretty quick but left a full stack in almost every city... they pushed Makedonia into Illyria. Seluecids have been mostly stable fighting the expected wars, but maintaining their position (in was nice to see a wave of rebellions after the king was killed, that they eventually had to reconquer!) There has been a real see-saw in the east, but no-one has really gained an upper hand. The barbarian factions have all been really active, lots of back and forth also. Only one who was a non-entity was Numidia, they got bottled in one province early and beset by rebels they never dealt with....&nbsp;

If y'all ever get round to getting a new faction I would love to see the Ardiaei added, there is space there, the core units already exists, and it might balance out other factions in the area. I would write a justification if I could find the time! Other minor stuff that would be nice to add is some maps in the guide that show, the various pastoral and nomadic areas, starting hellenic polis and levels, plus Royal_core (this effects a lot of the government types I think?). Would be a "nice to have" but I understand there are probably more important priorities heheh!

Thanks again for all the hard work - it is an amazing achievement! Sorry for the text wall, let me know if you want any other feedback? not sure how often people take a slow burn campaign this long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss (2).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	365549

Hopefully you can see this screenshot...

Sauromatae were no problem, I stayed allied to them for the whole game, only grabbing steppe regions from them when they were taken first by Saka or Hayastan. As you can see from the minimap they got shoved a but west.

• The situation with the colonists for the KB is not as desperate compared to Baktria as you do have the option of taking Sinope and developing Khersonesos' minor polis to get your trio of polises to get the colony ball rolling....
    • Did the Sauromatae give you any trouble at all? They tend to be the most dangerous enemy the KB encounters throughout the campaign .

For more of my take, check this out over on the faction difficulty trend:

If you think the KB is complete, its not, there is more stuff in the works for them and word has it that a government overhaul is among future plans for v2.4.
    Yeah, I was slow to grab that 3rd Polis and I paid for it later, should have read the guide first! hahah
    I look forward to any updates - their government chain is one of the more simple ones.
    One point I forgot to mention, should the Thorakitai Epilektoi be available as easily...? they're at the top two governments Arkhe Paradynastou and Satrapeia Basilike - pretty much anywhere that is fully developed. I limited myself to 2, but they just felt a bit too easy to get for such an elite unit. Maybe at only the Satrapeia Basilike?

Campidoctor

That map is beautiful ��

Quote Originally Posted by mckeen View Post

Sauromatae were no problem, I stayed allied to them for the whole game, only grabbing steppe regions from them when they were taken first by Saka or Hayastan. As you can see from the minimap they got shoved a but west.
    Nice map!
    I see that you manage to activate the cheat code . You lucky .
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Nice map!
    I see that you manage to activate the cheat code . You lucky .
    Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    Say what?
    Referring to this
    Quote Originally Posted by mckeen View Post

The de facto cheat code for any KB campaign being that he managed to stay friendly with the Sarmatians the entire time, these pesky nomads are a constant menace in any KB campaign and staying friendly with them makes the KB campaign soo much easier to stomach.
    - Sun Tzu