Thread: Triggers for forming square by the AI

Default Triggers for forming square by the AI

Does anyone have an idea in which circumstances AI forms a square? So far I've tested a lot of various concepts, e.g. increasing the square bonus vs cavalry, increasing cavalry's attack value (to make AI think that forming a square it is necessary to win), increasing morale bonus for secured flanks and morale penalty for being flanked (because it seems to me that AI also take in the account morale values when deciding if go to square forming it even when fighting only with infantry and being near to be broken).

Unfortunately any of mentioned changes haven't made AI behaviour better against cavalry. The only repeatable action which I observed was to form square when neighbour unit is attacked by cavalry (but still - only sometimes). I am aware that I am not the first person trying to made it work and I didn't find any info about anyone who did it but maybe someone will have their own observations regarding this or other ideas which could be tested.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Triggers for forming square by the AI

I remember from my time as a darthmod beta tester, that it took Darth a lot of effort to come up with workable squares ... that the AI was not always using correctly.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Triggers for forming square by the AI

Ok, I performed a few more tests aimed to find out if different values in kv_rules, kv_morale and battle_entities, have any inpact on the AI behaviour when is attacked by cavalry. Results aren't promising. It seems that abovementioned tables does not have any influence on the AI decision-making concerning decision to forming a square (at least in the most basic circumstances). The AI makes the same decisions, no matter if I use configuration from DarthMod, Empire Realism, Imperial Destroyer or vanilla - it always decides to form a square by a regiment of line infantry in the middle of formation consisted of 3 regiments, when the other two, which are on flanks, are attacked by cavalry - and never decides to form a square by regiment which was attacked or when only one neighbourly regiment was attacked.

It brings me to the conclusion that all of those who stated that the AI operates upon current circumstances on the battlefield (e.g. exisitng square bonus etc) when makes decision regarding to form a square, were wrong. It seems that the AI uses some hardcoded mechanic and there is nothing that can be done about it. However there still remains an issue of the impact of morale on the AI's decision to go into square. So far I haven't been able to make it work when infantry fighting with cavalry and I am afraid that it just doesn't work in that circumstances.