Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abolish the 501st Modding Awards

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen Censor

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Abolish the 501st Modding Awards

You are incorrect.

Three citizens have already publicly supported this.

Want to play TWC D&D? Click here | Join the Thema Devia Discord here
    If you'd like you see my graphics workshop click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Proud Patron of Sara Temer, Cope, and Gyrosmeister

PikeStance's Avatar Live to Inspire
    Blog Entries

After looking through the thread, I am the only person in support. There is one non citizen and two citizens [1] [2] giving a conditional support. All three would not be considered support.
    Last edited by PikeStance; September 16, 2021 at 01:03 AM.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

You are also incorrect.

Blog Entries

I have read the thread 4 times and I still cannot find any other supporters except myself and Commodus.
    I originally took is comment to referring to the one support meaning someone else. So there are two supporters not one and not three. Post here
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

If you want to discuss this further, take it to the Townhall or Curial commentary thread.

This thread is solely for discussion of the merits of abolishing the 501st modding awards.

I love bling myself and modding deserve lots of it . From creating one line of script to those who create marvellous textures , they all deserve our thanks and all the recognition they can carry .
    However , if it's not being offered for some reason then the whole system needs looking at .
    I support this as it seems to be a good start as long as a popular way to give these legends some props in the end happens .
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

These awards were initially added as a way for the now defunct modding committee to recognize up and coming modders.

There is no available mechanism to distribute these awards, as they aren't listed in the Const. under the awards able to be awarded by the Curia.

To even make use of these awards properly would technically require a constitutional amendment of its own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    These awards were initially added as a way for the now defunct modding committee to recognize up and coming modders.

There is no available mechanism to distribute these awards, as they aren't listed in the Const. under the awards able to be awarded by the Curia.

To even make use of these awards properly would technically require a constitutional amendment of its own.
    Is it?

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Flinn's Avatar The Dude Retires
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Support
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    First of all, I don't care about bling anymore. Maybe I might have in the past. Dunno.

However, Pike has a point here.

The number of recipients, in this case 1?, does not imply the award being useless. If anything, it might imply that it is not handed out as it should be.

Both the modding service award (Modding Service Award
    To qualify for the Modding Service Award, the nominee must have participated within a workshop section with distinction over the span of 6 months or released a hosted modification.) and the Legio 501st Modder Award(Awarded by the Curia for one or more of the following: creating a detailed and original tutorial containing relevant media (screenshots, video, code snippets), releasing a minor mod involving at minimum a single modding section (units, scripting, mapping, animations, sounds, media) of work estimated to have taken more than 5 hours or a remarkable act that benefits TWC modding community.)
    could be handed out en mass, if people would care to propose those who deserve it.

Heck, I could off-hand name a dozen or more people who deserve it from the M2 Workshop alone from the days when I was active there. Same goes out for RTW Workshop or others.

I mean, really?

Sorry, but if anything this award is a splendid example of how to not use an award that a lot of people qualify for by default.

Hence, opposed!

I would suggest to simply go through the Tutorial and hosted mods sections and to slam that thing on all people who qualify for it, so that the calculating time for checking that user group every time one opens a page here is worthwhile spent.

Edit: and if a procedure is missing, but the award already was handed out, simply stick to this precedent or create one befitting the award.
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

People made that same argument last time, Aikanar. Which is why we held off on pushing this amendment through 6 months ago. And yet here we are, 6 months later with none of these awards distributed. I agree, it should be as easy as you suggest to round up a bunch of people for this award, but no one has done that. Every time this topic of doing away with these awards comes up people make a big hubbub about how they totally intend to use them, but they never do.

Sadly I don't see any reason why things would change this time.

I would suggest to simply go through the Tutorial and hosted mods sections and to slam that thing on all people who qualify for it, so that the calculating time for checking that user group every time one opens a page here is worthwhile spent.
    Awards are not distributed via user groups and don't slow down the server.

That being said, most of those people on your list of users deserving of this award would also be qualified for an Artifex or Opifex award. If any of them haven't been recognized yet for their contributions then we should start there, I think.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Akar, every award is tied to permission group. I suggest to read GED's metionings of permission groups.

That being said, I do not care what did or did not happen the last time around.

It is interesting enough that there is a curial award. The award was awarded once. But there is no mentioning of that award in the twcc nor in the anals. So how did this award see the Light in the first place?

Aside from that the Argument nobody did a thing is not a valid Argument to abolish something curial, by Tradition. If it would be, go figure how often the Curia would have been abolished.
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 16, 2021 at 12:55 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

The wiki (which in this instance probably means me) thinks they are awarded by the curia... I need to try and backtrack and work out why!

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...o_501st_Modder

EDIT: so this was the thing that passed
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=legio+modding

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Cheers for your effort, mak.

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mak. Seems the Const. will need to be edited to reflect that appropriately then.

@Aik, I'm familiar with that post and my understanding is that he's only referring to Curial awards that convey access to a usergroup. I could be wrong though.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Thanks, Mak. Seems the Const. will need to be edited to reflect that appropriately then.

@Aik, I'm familiar with that post and my understanding is that he's only referring to Curial awards that convey access to a usergroup. I could be wrong though.
    Ah, Well you could be spot on and my understanding wrong
    Would make sense.

Blog Entries

I read the OP of the proposal and it isn't explicitly clear who awards it. I didn't read through the thread, but the award was giving out by the Curia as I linked above.
    I would not be opposed forming a "dreaded" committee of modders who identify candidates for the award if we want to go that route. I would put my money where my mouth is to and volunteer for such a committee.
    Last edited by PikeStance; September 21, 2021 at 02:05 AM.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    As you mentioned previously Aik, this could go to pretty much every modder that ever released a, thing. If keeping the curia active and seemingly busy is the goal, fair enough. I imagine AL could automate this, given a list.
    Replying here in an attempt not to derail the Withwnar proposal...

I can see the intention behind the low initial requirement for the first award, and the stepped approach to other, silver, gold, levels (that wasn't well explained), I can see it was attempting to recognise and engage new modders entering the site.

If it had worked that way KurdishNomad would be a good example of someone that should have been noticed a while back and have worked up to gold level by now.

If people (the curia) did engage with this at that sort of level and nominate people who had only recently started posting mods/modding info, then I can see how it could maybe help... Going through the 'old guard' to award this, and/or getting into too much debate about tiers amongst established TWC modders = much less useful!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Mak - particularly that, if this award will be used, it seems more useful for people who started posting mods or guides recently, who could be motivated by the award to keep going.

Blog Entries

Yes, the intent was to be an encouragement to new modders. I didn't like the the top two levels of the ward because we already had Artifex and Opifex. Personally, I think Artifex should be like the Opifex where the member can choose to accept citizenship or not. So that would take care of the "three level." The problem is a citizen has to recognize the contribution and there are plenty of cases where members did Artifex/Opifex like work and still have not been recognize. At such a (for lack of a better word)"low" level contribution, 99% is likely to be missed. So either a "group" of citizens (or Modding staff when it existed) or admin/content should awarded whenever someone post something that would meet the requirement of these awards. In nuthsell, the award has the best intentions, but it has been poorly executed.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast