Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God’s Love: A Thread

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: God’s Love: A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    The reason life can be terrible comes down to one factor and that is man's situation whilst in sin. There is nothing more heart-breaking than to see youngsters with terrible maladies and there is nothing worse than to find supposed Christians who bring them no comfort or solace. Do I have an answer when my own family have serious problems health wise, no I don't but I do know that for every tragedy God has the capacity to bring good out of it. Sin doesn't take prisoners and as long as one remains under it the statistics are 100% death.
    What, precisely, did the baby do wrong sin-wise to deserve 2 years of near constant medical intervention in order to have a chance?

What good came out of it? More practice for the doctors on how to handle these frustratingly unique cases? It's a medical miracle the child survived, not a religious one.

Plenty of people are using religion as a coping mechanism right now in response to the fact that the blood of Jesus did not in fact protect their loved ones from COVID. I don't understand how their faith isn't shaken but that's their own issue to resolve one day.

This coping mechanism is interesting though. Dangerous, but interesting.
    Until the day that Jesus Christ returns the situation on this planet will remain the same.
    I'm sure all the other people who believed he would return in their lifetimes were simply wrong in their calculations.

But that was just them. Surely this time it will happen.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

True Christian faith isn’t “shaken” by physiological death because Christ’s sacrifice wasn’t about ending temporal mortality. Whether a person lives in the material world at the time of the second coming is irrelevant to the question of their redemption.

Suffering is a product of free will, sin and imperfection. It is also necessary for man to experience the world in its fullest sense (through which he can find meaning and truth).

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

But ultimately, it is living a certain way in order to be rewarded when you die, and thus can no longer participate in the world where you've chosen to live a certain way, yes?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    But ultimately, it is living a certain way in order to be rewarded when you die, and thus can no longer participate in the world where you've chosen to live a certain way, yes?
    Ultimately, Christ's elect are redeemed by Christ. A Calvinist will say that the reward of eternal life predetermined, others that it is through faith alone or through a combination of faith and works. Humanist Christians argue that God's infinite mercy will eventually save all souls.
    Last edited by Cope; September 19, 2021 at 11:38 PM.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

But (with the exception of those Humanist Christians...) it's just a big eternal carrot and stick?

One where (with all due respect to those who have experienced miracles) the majority don't get to find out whether it was all a big coercive joke or not, until after it's too late to do anything about it?
    Last edited by antaeus; September 20, 2021 at 02:03 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

TheDarkKnight,

Before man fell there was no illnesses of any sort so it was as a result of Adam sinning that man's nature changed meaning that illnesses came into being. It meant that no baby was safe because of the sin in its parents. So whatever that baby had it inherited from its parents. Therefore since I don't know this family what I do know is that even sinners do go through good times.

Now as for the cases of Covid deaths if any were born again Christians I know that they are now in the arms of Jesus. The others lie in the grave awaiting the final judgement. As everyone knows there is a limit to life on this planet and so the blood of Christ was never primarily for this world but shed for those whose entry into heaven is guaranteed.

So, when will He return? When asked this Jesus said that only His Father knew that yet He gave hints as to the signs and what the situation would be prior to that. Those signs are gathering apace. So, rest assured He will come back but will you be ready?

But (with the exception of those Humanist Christians...) it's just a big eternal carrot and stick?
    Christian humanists believe that the incentives are eternal, not the reverse.

One where (with all due respect to those who have experienced miracles) the majority don't get to find out whether it was all a big coercive joke or not, until after it's too late to do anything about it?
    There is every opportunity to know of the Word in this life - as is evidenced by this conversation.
    Last edited by Cope; September 21, 2021 at 08:47 AM.

antaeus,

And yet it is the greatest crime thriller ever written and the longest in terms of longevity. It is all experiential because we the created are bit part players held by an evil force and the Creator the Hero Who saves us. The twist in the story is that this Hero actually gets killed unlike any other manmade story yet after three days dead He comes alive again to ensure that His followers are witnesses to Him being alive. He deputizes them with power so that they can continue His work by spreading their knowledge of Him across as many places as they can reach, an objective still being attempted as the opposition to their work continues until this very day. He Himself now back in His Glory awaits the day when He shall return to gather in all the Saved for their eternal crimefree life with Him and to send all the criminals to life imprisonment without parole. Surely the basest of fellows can understand that.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 103
    8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
    9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
    10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
    11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
    12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
    13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
    14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
    15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
    16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
    17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
    18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
    19 The Lord hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

" For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him shall not perish but hath everlasting life." Yes, everlasting life in the new world for this old one will cease to exist and be replaced by one much better than the one He originally created.

As I’ve been reading more these last months it’s wonderful to find encouragement like that. For years I’ve felt so overwhelmed by the weight of sin that I didn’t want to call myself a Christian because I felt that would reflect negatively on Christianity. Like giving Jesus a bad name. Silly perhaps, but seeing the violence, disease and degeneracy abound in our midst, I began to see a lawless world without God. I realized that because of my laziness and apathy I was contributing to that world. I was convicted that my weakness is no excuse to live in sin. And I resolved that though I am not a very good Christian, I must do what I know is right, crying out to Jesus for forgiveness and the strength to defeat myself every moment of every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 5
    16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Lord Thesaurian,

The words you wrote are exactly what I go through every day in my Christian walk. It's the race Paul talks of yet it is more of an obstacle race than any other. The reason is I suppose is that though still sinners we are covered by the blood of Jesus Christ given a new heart plus the Spirit that we are able to fight off by Faith that which our body and memory retains otherwise we would still be lost. The good news is that we are no longer enemies of God nor Him an enemy of us and that is what makes each day something to look forward to as the finish line gets closer. It will be Him that gets us over that finishing line and we must thank God every day in believing that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123