Thread: Enemy who attacked me is not attacking during battle

Default Enemy who attacked me is not attacking during battle

Seleukid army attacked me, fortunately I was able to find a very defensive position on a hill and enemy army is just endlessly walking left and right (they did it 5 times already). I always play with unlimited time and definitely don't want to give up my position on the hill...

In all previous mods I played AI was attacking nonetheless (they were the attacker after all). Is it working here as intended and AI became "smarter"? I agree it's more realistic, but it's just a game and can't be too realistic. I can't sit for weeks on this hill until they finally attack or march away...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bez*tytułu.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	365506

Default Re: Enemy who attacked me is not attacking during battle

my rule of thumb, never play with unlimited battle time. learnt this back in RTW. you may encounter what you described or all sort of bugs, especially during sieges, and sometimes the timer is the only way out without losing your overall progress.

EDIT: if you have light skirmishers, cavalry is the best, send them down and start poking at the AI. this sometimes works in triggering it into action.

Well, I always play with unlimited battle time and have no issues. The AI is not able to decide what to do in that case so the best option is to send some skirmishers at them to trigger the AI to attack you.

I was just going to edit it - fortunately I had mounted skirmishers and I was able to lure enemies into the battle (I've never had to do it before in any of my TW battles, so it was new to me). With such defensive position I was able to win, capturing the Seleukid king in the process

I never played any TW game with limited battle time. To be honest I don't even know how it works, but if it works that I'll lose if time runs out - then nope, it's not an option. I can't imagine losing a battle just because one last enemy unit didn't rout until some timer reached zero.

What was the composition of your and enemy army? AFAIK the ranges of various units matter a lot for AI to decide whether to engage or wait. It's one of reasons why I always pack some artillery-AI will attack if you can outrange it.

Quite similar - he both had a mix of heavy and light infantry, one or two skirmishers, two archer units, one mounted skirmisher and two other cavalry units. They had similar size and composition plus one elephant unit. At first they slowly advanced and stopped just in the range of my archers/slingers. They stood there until I ran out of bullets/arrows and then started this dance I mentioned - going left and right and left and right and so on until I sent skirmishers to lure them.

This happens when the AI and you are closely matched and it isn't willing to suicide itself by attacking your stronger position. Some ways to get the AI to move are:

- Play with limited battle time. I always do this since RTW, at 60 min. The reason has been stated already - sometimes the AI would get stuck, like in sieges, and do nothing, forcing you to surrender the battle. When you play with time limit, the attacker will lose if the time runs out. This applies everywhere and forces both the AI and player to do something about the enemy instead of waiting.

- When you have significant missile superiority, the AI will often decide to close up on you. In addition, attacking the AI with missile units such as horse archers, will "aggro" the AI so long as you inflict casualties. Once the AI starts losing enough balance of power (or the equivalent in old TWs) then it will start moving towards you.

In general my advice is to always play with battle limit set to 60 min, so that the attacker side is always forced to engage or retreat from battle. In my experience 60min is more than enough even for long sieges.

If you inflict 3.5% casualties on them, they will always attack no matter how suicidal. If they get stuck in a siege... well that's tough. Though usually, it gives me enough time to outflank their whole army around the city. And if I don't have enough men to do that, I could be doomed. I've always played with unlimited time and there's been to big problems so far.

I don't think I've ever experienced battle-breaking AI being stuck on siege. I also don't think I've ever had a battle longer than 60 minutes, but I still don't like the idea of having a clock ticking and forcing me to act faster when I would prefer to act slower.

Campidoctor

I feel the same, Aquila. And since baiting them into battle works nicely, no need to time limit yourself into feeling rushed. Plus it feels realistic, why would they rush up a hill to meet you, unless you're harrying their lines and forcing their hand to act.