View Poll Results: What do you use the Scriptorium for?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • What's the Scriptorium? I don't use it

8 53.33%
  • To find After Action Reports

1 6.67%
  • To find history articles

4 26.67%
  • To find modding guides

1 6.67%
  • To find strategy guides

0 0%
  • For something else (please specify on the poll thread)

1 6.67%

Thread: Do you use the Scriptorium and, if so, what for?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Do you use the Scriptorium and, if so, what for?

If you're wondering what the Scriptorium is, this is explained in the Scriptorium FAQ.

* What's the Scriptorium? I don't use it
    * To find After Action Reports
    * To find history articles
    * To find modding guides
    * To find strategy guides
    * For something else (please specify on the poll thread)

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Do you use the Scriptorium and, if so, what for?

I know what the scriptorium is, but i don't use it. No content of interest for me.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I use it to read through site history, since that's really its function given the state of upkeep. A little time portal to when it was updated where I'm forgiving of the rather frequent lost image, timeliness of content and so on.

Points 2-4 I have far quicker and more accurate means to get. So outside of the use I define above and due to the way it has since gone without drive, I see no function that justifies itself today.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Know what it is, have no use for it and don't use it.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Many years ago I used to browse it for well-written historical articles. And by that I mean about 10 years ago. As the quality of the VV has dropped off I have not been there for that purpose. I did work with Hadar many years ago selecting articles for archiving.

Maybe this is something where the relevant links could be moved to the Wiki?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'll say now what I've been saying since 2017. Given the collapsing quality of comments and number users as a whole the Scriptorium would serve the site much better if it was merged with the wiki and organized around the lines of TWC modding school, TWC library (for the non-gaiming stuff), TWC let's plays or gaiming or whatever (for completed AARs and unit guides) with proper SEO and search-engine friendly features so that when Johnny googles how to mod medieval II in the top 10 results he gets several pages separated into categories (or a single much better organized page than the current index) with links to properly formatted and stylised articles curated by a librarian instead of the current hard to use modding index page.

The Scriptorium as it is right now was designed in 2006 to be an archive so that any lost guide or tutorial can be restored in case it gets lost and to offer a private forum to organize the (at the time) only writing competition on the site. It was never designed or intended to be actively consulted, hence the awkward position in the forum index, the lack of any header/title formatting to make finding stuff easier and why posts are copied verbatim with minimal formatting to ensure vbulletin consitency.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; August 22, 2021 at 04:01 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Good points, Adrian.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Read some of the history articles. I glanced at the other parts and read here and there. Good stuff.

I quite like the little library we have. It'd be cool if it were on the wiki too, likely I'd still use it here, maybe use the wiki for searches if it really is better.

Loved when I could go and find new releases of publications gathered in one place.

There's good stuff. Like. The article on Forum Government, The Burra-Hurra article that highlights how even if something might be true, if popular opinion/knowledge/habits are against it, it can drown out in favour of other theories. Discrimination, by blood type. Scary. One I remember starkly is one by Atterdag, he had a poem included which I still can vaguely remember. It's a bit like "Remember remember"
    It is only because of the scriptorium that I even knew the story, It's one of the best.

What happened to the Big bang article? This could be worrying if it is not just one article that's gone.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    What happened to the Big bang article? This could be worrying if it is not just one article that's gone.
    It was deleted from the Scriptorium. The reason given for the deletion is "Requested", so I assume the author of the original post asked for this to be removed from the Scriptorium.

(I see it's still listed in the catalogue. I'll remove it from there - it obviously isn't very useful to have a link in the catalogue to a deleted thread!)

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

I want to praise the https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...57-Scriptorium
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...TWC-University
    You guys gave me knowledge and education as school wasn't for me. Thank you for teaching me to be a person.