Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The only piece of Europa Barbarorum II fanart in existence

Default Re: The only piece of Europa Barbarorum II fanart in existence

Adskoros from Cisalpine Gaul are ready to serve as the first boss of the Roman campaign!

Are all these beauties based on real facts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Are all these beauties based on real facts?
    These drawings are based off of Europa Barbarorum II's depiction of soldiers circa 272BC. I've added a few creative flairs, such as the Roman-style helmet feathers for the Hellenistic Machairaphoroi, or the neck bandana for this Gallic Adskoros, but for the most part I tried making them decently faithful. If the historicity interests you, I highly suggest installing the EBII mod for M2TW at https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-R3-5-released !

That mod is indeed a "beauty based on real facts", since nearly everything in the game, from visuals to game mechanics, is based off of archaeology, historical documents, recovered art/artifacts like mosaics or pottery, and historical analysis. It's like a history lesson and video game in one immersive package. The only features not based on history are alternative history scenarios, which are still very plausible and grounded in historic trends! You can Hellenize the Nabataeans (who historically never expanded out of the Sinai Peninsula and were absorbed by the Romans), restore the Antigonid Macedonians' former glory by taking Antiochea and Babylonia (Antigonus One-Eyed nearly did it in real life!), kickstart the Parthian Empire 100 years early (I've speedrun Imperial Parthia by 252BC), and more. If you do install the mod, make sure to read as many descriptions as you can. From buildings to regions, from units to historical pop-up scrolls, to even special "Biography" traits for the many historical characters present at the start of the game, you are bound to learn a ton about history.

The Carthaginians didn't learn from the first time when their Sacred Band was destroyed at the Battle of the Crimissus in 341BC, and reconstituted it with fresh citizens. Less then a century later Carthage lost the First Punic War. Coincidence? I think not

In 280BC, Celts from modern-day southern France migrated to and settled in modern-day central Turkey! For the next century, their raiding and mercenary antics will destabilize the region into an uninhabitable hellzone. Meet the Galatian Colonist

Silver Shields (Argyraspides)

These were Alexander the Great's veterans, serving from the time of Philip II in the 340s BC all the way to the Wars of the Diadochi in the 310s BC. They proved to be an unstoppable force on the battlefield, always grinding up everything in front of them and sometimes winning victories or salvaging draws by themselves alone. This elite corp also proved to be rather disloyal - they betrayed their then-commander Eumenes in 316BC after the battle of Gabiene by handing him over to Antigonus One-Eyed (Antigonus managed to capture the Silver Shield's baggage train). Upon gaining command of the Silver Shields, Antigonus, rather than risk leading such a venal battalion, sent the now 60-70 year old Silver Shields on suicide missions in the far East. Their numbers dwindled to nothing, or so they did allegedly. It isn't too wild of a guess that some hardy Silver Shields survived their suicide missions, discovered their betrayal, and melted away into the local populace as fugitives. Who knows, maybe some locals married these veteran gramps (or in the case of this drawing, grannies) and their descendants exist to this day: legacy of one of the greatest elite units of all time: the Silver Shields.

I see no old grumbler here
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12