Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Guide for Missions

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Guide for Missions

The assassination (and adventure) missions can be focused on labeled characters as the example in the teutonic campaign shows. The 'adventure' is a new mission where actions against the target faction get directly financially rewarded, but must be carried out by the labeled character.

Code:
     --- script commands
            create_mission adventure_crusader teutonic_order crus1
            create_mission kill_crusader lithuania crus1

--- descr_missions
    mission    adventure_crusader
    {
        ORDER_COUNCIL
        duration 15
        paybacks
        {
                payback_id adventure_crusader_cash_reward
        }

initial_cash        500
        win_cash            500
        win_siege_cash        1000
        win_withdraw_cash        0
        loss_cash            -750
        loss_siege_cash        -1500
        loss_withdraw_cash        -250
        exterminate_cash        2000
        success_cash_threshold    501
        target_religion        pagan
        target_faction        lithuania
    }

mission  assassinate_general kill_crusader
    {
        COUNCIL_MISSION
        duration 15
        event_mission
        paybacks
        {
             payback_id kill_crusader_cash_reward
        }
        killed_by_any_means
        expire_on_hide_disabled
    }

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

BTW Calistonnian, you were probably right about "only_dead_source_factions" in the barons alliance mission, couldnt get the mission to work with the line (scripted or "random"). I assume in britannia DLC context it meant, that the Barons Alliance didnt have any settlement at the moment of mission, but they were still alive even without (as they are an emerging faction). Its fine to just remove the line indeed.

If you are interested, you can check out some of the modified missions in action in this preview thread of mine https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post15972062

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    the big question is, whether AI actually gets missions... (except the papal states and the scripted one
    This thread suggests it is possible to give the AI missions and have them act on them. Withwnar tells us that at least the diplomacy_mission type works for the AI. I'm not sure how viable AI-scripting via missions would be, but it's worth checking if any other mission types do anything for the AI.

I'm thinking in particular of the give_settlement type, which could be used for a simplified region transfer script, and the give_ancillary type, which could be used to remove an ancillary from the AI.

Gaming Emeritus

That thread doesnt work with any of the actual missions, those "missions" are just diplomacy stuff...

Well, the AI for example seems to totally ignore the adventure crusader mission (if given via script ). Also, we can actually test whether they receive missions easily... just boot up a HS, and switch control of various factions to see if they have any. I always forgot to check this when testing other stuff via HS... but I think that always when you switch control to AI faction , they either have no mission or they receive one at the moment...

EDIT

Btw one could use the HS to test if AI cares about the missions... By for example switching the faction you play to AI at the moment they receive a mission, so you know their task, and then watching if they actually do anything about it
    Last edited by Jadli; December 10, 2020 at 12:13 PM.

I need some help setting up an assassinate_general mission. I'm trying to use the attribute_type and attribute_min_threshold parameters to target a character with a particular trait or ancillary. The vanilla files use Piety as the attribute. I figure I can use an unused attribute like Magic, set the trait to grant 10 Magic, and set the min_threshold to 10 (or really anything greater than 0). The problem is that this mission is never given to the faction I specify. I've tried setting turn_start to 0 and other values. I've tried removing parameters that might prevent the mission from firing by introducing additional probabilities. I've tried creating the mission in script to make sure it works (it does) but I can't use this as a solution because it requires a character label and I don't know the label of whichever character has the trait/anc with 10 Magic. I've even tried removing the attribute_type and attribute_min_threshold parameters but the mission is still never given.

How do I ensure that the mission will be given as soon as any character on the map meets the attribute threshold? I.e. is there a way to give missions "randomly" using only descr_missions but without the randomness?

Gaming Emeritus

Well. You need to have an assassin, and also the characters needs to be somewhat in your lands or next to your lands, not on other side of the map (afaik. Was trying with characters ery fast and it didnt assing the mission). Any attribte works indeed, using this already to target the specific generals (for different levels of dungeon contracts) and works well. (Also you can use this atributes than just one.. just add more lines). Perhaps you should also specify character type, but i doubt its necessary

the characters needs to be somewhat in your lands or next to your lands, not on other side of the map (afaik. Was trying with characters ery fast and it didnt assing the mission). [...] Perhaps you should also specify character type, but i doubt its necessary
    Thank you, this bit of information was the key - the assassination target has to be in one of your regions or in a region that borders your regions or the mission won't be created spontaneously. You do not need to specify the character type.

I tried using some of the blockade parameters to expand the radius for the assassination target but of course this didn't work. I don't see any way to circumvent the proximity requirement for spontaneous assassinate_general missions. I'm guessing most of the other mission types have similar hard coded behavior unless, like blockade, they're specifically set up with parameters to change the radius.

Blog Entries

'conquer settlement' seems to be always next door

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    Thank you, this bit of information was the key - the assassination target has to be in one of your regions or in a region that borders your regions or the mission won't be created spontaneously. You do not need to specify the character type.

I tried using some of the blockade parameters to expand the radius for the assassination target but of course this didn't work. I don't see any way to circumvent the proximity requirement for spontaneous assassinate_general missions. I'm guessing most of the other mission types have similar hard coded behavior unless, like blockade, they're specifically set up with parameters to change the radius.
    Nice.
    Yea, I tried possibly useful parameters for the more interesting missions, but wasnt able to discover any new one that would work, except the ones already used in DLCs. I tried decreasing own_region modifier but with no success, I suppose increasing/decreasing only effects whether its more likely to pick a character in your lands or at neighbors

Good thing also is, that unlike the take_settlement type, etc, it doesnt crash if given via script, hence if for some reason you need to target a character thats very far, still doable

BTW, it also seems, that guild_score_modifer also multilplies the "guild_money" reward (apart from the score) for some reason, not sure why...

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    'conquer settlement' seems to be always next door
    What do you mean? A command that tells AI to take some settlement via script or something like that?

I still haven't figured out how to bypass the 'proximity' condition for the assassinate_general mission type. Upon further testing, it seems like the mission will only be given spontaneously (by descr_missions and not campaign_script) if the target is in the faction's own regions or a neighboring slave faction region. The mission will not be given if the target is in any other faction's region.

But, I did find a way around having to keep an assassin on the map. For the mission to be given spontaneously, the faction only needs an assassin on the map at the start of their turn (the mission seems to be created before PreFactionTurnStart). This is what I have:

Code:
        monitor_event FactionTurnEnd not IsFactionAIControlled
            spawn_character    england, Gazbug, assassin, age 16, x 374, y 234
        end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType england
            retire_characters england assassin
        end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart not IsFactionAIControlled
            retire_characters england assassin
        end_monitor
    This is hotseat compatible for all orders of human and AI factions. At the start of england's turn (whether human or AI) the assassin is retired and likewise at the start of every human faction's turn, the assassin is retired (to prevent anyone from ever seeing the assassin on the map). Since we can't predict the order of human/AI factions, we have to respawn the assassin at the end of every human faction's turn. This way, the assassin can only exist during AI factions' turns (but not england's since we don't want them to actually use the assassin) and the assassin always exists at the start of england's turn. These monitor events are so generalized that I already had them in my mod, so this script didn't cost anything performance wise.

I also gave the assassin an invisible strat model texture for england and spawned him at coordinates inside england's starting capital LOS bubble so he doesn't reveal any tiles that weren't already revealed to england on turn 1. This tile is also on inaccessible terrain so there's no risk of the assassin ever interacting with anything on the map in any way.

This is a lot of effort for a mission that only fires if the target is practically inside your territory already. I get that CA didn't want to give the player missions with objectives on the other side of the map, but an assassination mission against a target that's already inside your territory is pretty pointless. I hope we can find some way to expand that radius without using script.

Blog Entries

What do you mean? A command that tells AI to take some settlement via script or something like that?
    Didn't know the exact name of the two relevant missions. You can trigger them via script like the other missions, but you can't define a target. Believe me, I tried, always ended up with York, never with Caernavon.

Gaming Emeritus

@Callistonian.

Nice idea with an assassin. My plan was to spawn an assassin to a local faction on some abandoned inaccessible isle, and call him literally "Trust me, you need me"

Well, I assume if you set own_region_modifier to 0, it should be more likely it selects targets on borders... also I dont know what exactly is your mission about, whether its about killing random characters from any faction, but who you select as target somewhat influences whether the target is inside your borders or next to them... I mean selecting specific factions and for example only generals/leaders/heirs would usually probably pick a character at your borders, and they might move further, unless you are at war. While agents can be everywhere (so also inside your regions)

Funny thing also is the devs left there a disabled mission to assassinate captains ("generals").... no wonder they didnt use it, tho weird they left it in descr_missions

@Gigantus
    Well, depends what you want... Im more inclined for assassinate_general mission type over council_take_settlement or _guild_take_settlement. Assassinate_general at least doesnt seem to cause a crash if scripted, while take_settlement may cause a fatal crash to the game (if for example there is not a valid settlement target at your borders)... And assasssinate_general may somewhat result in you having to take a settlements which is not at your borders (or make it happen via script)

Aslo funny and important thing you mention about York or Caernavon indeed which applies also to assssinate_generals... If you give the mission on turn 1, it would also always pick the same target (or if the availible targets are not moving), presumably preference is based on distance to the assassin (or where assassin guild is, but more likely the assassin himself). In later turns they might move around so it might shuffle a bit.... Its indeed kinda ironic that eventhough the missions are assigned somewhat magically/randomly, the selection of targets is somewhat set in stone...

Though, I have a relatively easy cure of that. You can make more variants of each missions (just a bunch of ctrl c and ctrl v) with everything in them the same... except you change the parameters/modifers... for take_settlements the one with garrison_modifers, etc. While for assassinate_general based on assassination_difficulty, target attributes and so on... Should affect what yuor first target would be...
    Last edited by Jadli; December 14, 2020 at 04:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Thought that just struck me regarding York: any chance a region based target might get chosen by lowest region number if there is a multiple choice of neighboring regions? York is 16, Caernavon is 19. Simply putting a Caernavon pixel on the Shetland Islands should reverse the number sequence if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 15, 2020 at 07:04 AM.

Well, I assume if you set own_region_modifier to 0, it should be more likely it selects targets on borders...
    I don't notice any difference in the proximity test results when setting this to 0.0, which leads me to conclude that without this parameter defined in the mission, the value is set to 0.0 by default.

also I dont know what exactly is your mission about, whether its about killing random characters from any faction, but who you select as target somewhat influences whether the target is inside your borders or next to them... I mean selecting specific factions and for example only generals/leaders/heirs would usually probably pick a character at your borders, and they might move further, unless you are at war. While agents can be everywhere (so also inside your regions)
    I'm want the mission to target any character with a particular attribute level (10 Magic). This works, but only if the character with the attribute level is within the mission faction's regions or in a rebel bordering region. I tried adding the 'target_faction' parameter to the mission, but it still wouldn't grant the mission unless the target was within the mission faction's regions or bordering them.

I also found that giving the target a Locked trait (reducing MovementPoints to 0) prevented the mission from being given. I suppose the game needs the target to be capable of moving around or perhaps the game can only "see" the character if they have > 0 MovementPoints.

Its indeed kinda ironic that eventhough the missions are assigned somewhat magically/randomly, the selection of targets is somewhat set in stone...
    This seems to apply to all supposedly random mission types - you always get the same target for taking a settlement, sending an emissary, etc. It reminds me of some other aspects of the game which aren't as random as they're advertised to be, such as the selection of portraits for adoption offers.
    Last edited by Callistonian; December 15, 2020 at 11:03 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

Yea, tho as I said, i think its more affected by distance to your assassin. When i tried recruiting assassins in different settlements, i was given diffrent targets. Have you tried to do this when you have an assassin in enemy lands for example? That would prob more often pick a neighbor region target...

Interesting thing with the movement points... its kind of weird that it then works for my dungeons targets, who do not move as well (because the faction is freezed) and for the fact the faction is freezed I feared the game wouldnt want to pick them as targets at all... but it works just fine

Yea... the "random"... anyway, its not that huge issue for missions, as we are kind of doing statical test, while the game is very dynamic... so in a few turns later the targets may be very different because of different situation on the map.... also if you were bothered by the same mission with the same target always given at the beginning to a faction, you could use "turn_start" parameters and set it to a few turns later, to change the course of events, and perhaps make sure this way the first mission might be something more unusual (turn_start 3 or so is used for most missions in vanilla tbh).
    Or even better, you could use missions to create some introductory unique "RP" mission to get the faction started with some historical touch

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Thought that just struck me regarding York: any chance a region based target might get chosen by lowest region number if there is a multiple choice of neighboring regions? York is 16, Caernavon is 19. Simply putting a Caernavon pixel on the Shetland Islands should reverse the number sequence if anyone is interested.
    Well, I assume it might if the settlements were at the same distance and had the same garisson... but i believe it picks it mainly based on garison strenght (thats what most parameters claim to do) and stuff like that... so instead perhaps changing garisons and settlements lvls a bit might do the trick as well
    Last edited by Jadli; December 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM.

Yea, tho as I said, i think its more affected by distance to your assassin. When i tried recruiting assassins in different settlements, i was given diffrent targets. Have you tried to do this when you have an assassin in enemy lands for example? That would prob more often pick a neighbor region target...
    I tried spawning the assassin in the same region as the target (a region belonging to the target's faction) and the mission wasn't assigned. But when I move both assassin and target within the mission faction's borders it creates the mission on the very next turn. If you were able to recruit the assassin in those settlements, then of course the targets would change because the borders of your territory have also changed. I.e. on the vanilla map, if you only own the London region, then you only get targets in regions bordering the London region that are owned by england or slave. But if you capture Rome, then you will also get targets in regions bordering Rome that are owned by england or slave. I don't think it makes a difference whether or not you have assassins in Rome or the ability to recruit assassins in Rome, all that seems to matter is proximity to regions you own.

It also occurred to me to try using the regicide mission type. I know this only targets faction leaders, but this may be a price I'm willing to pay. The problem is, the regicide mission doesn't already have the attribute_type and attribute_min_threshold parameters which I need to identify targets on the basis of their having a trait or ancillary. I don't think simply adding those parameters, in a way not used by vanilla, will work.

Does anyone know if the target faction can be specified for a send_emissary mission?

The comment for this mission type as seen in vanilla and Americas seems to imply that there is a hard coded 'turns distance' parameter which is the primary factor in determining target factions if the mission is given via descr_character. I tried adding the 'target_faction' parameter to the mission but this predictably resulted in a startup crash. In the Americas expansions, they use the 'factions' parameter with this mission type, but it only specifies which factions can get the mission - not the target factions.

I tried creating the mission in campaign_script as such:

Code:
    create_mission send_emissary_custom england
    This creates the send_emissary_custom mission for the england faction, but the target is always the closest foreign faction. If I try to put the intended target faction after england in the command, the game ignores it and picks the closest foreign faction anyway. The game seems to ignore any text after england.

Edit: The hard coded 'turns distance' parameter applies to any diplomat belonging to the faction receiving the mission. If the faction only has one diplomat on the map (because: it's turn 1 and they don't start with any others or diplomats aren't recruitable for this faction or you use a retire_characters command to kill all diplomats beforehand), then it is possibly, in theory, to specify the target faction for a send_emissary mission by moving the diplomat to a location near the target faction.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
        monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
            if I_IsFactionAIControlled england
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

spawn_army
                faction scripts   ;dummy faction
                character    AgentSpawnCover, named character, age 20, x 341, y 423
                traits        
                unit        UnusedUnitType            exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
            end
            spawn_character    scripts, SpotterDiplomat, diplomat, age 20, x 241, y 401
            give_everything_to_faction scripts england false
            kill_character AgentSpawnCover
            if I_CharacterExists SpotterDiplomat
            end_if
            kill_character SpotterDiplomat

terminate_monitor
        end_monitor

Since this fires at the start of the first human faction's first turn, the state of the map is always the same, and hence the game always picks the same target faction. The problem is that the game usually picks the wrong target faction if there are a bunch of factions in the vicinity of where the diplomat was spawned. I have yet to determine exactly how the game picks the target faction, but it's definitely not as simple as whichever faction's regions are closest to the diplomat.
    Last edited by Callistonian; December 27, 2020 at 09:31 PM.

Gaming Emeritus

I also found that giving the target a Locked trait (reducing MovementPoints to 0) prevented the mission from being given. I suppose the game needs the target to be capable of moving around or perhaps the game can only "see" the character if they have > 0 MovementPoints.

Yea, I dont think its about whether the game "sees" the agents, but it determines your capability to fulfill the missions.. 0 MP means you cant. Regarding my idea to simply give each faction an assassin on some inacessible isle... didnt work either, the missions was not given... as the asssins wasnt able to reach any target.. Similarily like there is threshold for assasination chance difficulty for the mission to be eligible to be given (which definitely suggests it gives the missions based on assassins capabiities)

In the end I just simply gave each faction an assassin with low skills, he has no name and his portraits says "DONT LOOSE ME!" and his trait description says that the player needs him to receive missions and that he can move him around to slightly affect which dungeon targets he receives....

It also occurred to me to try using the regicide mission type. I know this only targets faction leaders, but this may be a price I'm willing to pay. The problem is, the regicide mission doesn't already have the attribute_type and attribute_min_threshold parameters which I need to identify targets on the basis of their having a trait or ancillary. I don't think simply adding those parameters, in a way not used by vanilla, will work.
    Hm, regicide is indeed an interesting missions... perhaps if you attempted to give it via script, you cuold force it at other characters than just leaders

Does anyone know if the target faction can be specified for a send_emissary mission?

The comment for this mission type as seen in vanilla and Americas seems to imply that there is a hard coded 'turns distance' parameter which is the primary factor in determining target factions if the mission is given via descr_character. I tried adding the 'target_faction' parameter to the mission but this predictably resulted in a startup crash. In the Americas expansions, they use the 'factions' parameter with this mission type, but it only specifies which factions can get the mission - not the target factions.

I tried creating the mission in campaign_script as such:

Code:
    This creates the send_emissary_custom mission for the england faction, but the target is always the closest foreign faction. If I try to put the intended target faction after england in the command, the game ignores it and picks the closest foreign faction anyway. The game seems to ignore any text after england.

Edit: The hard coded 'turns distance' parameter applies to any diplomat belonging to the faction receiving the mission. If the faction only has one diplomat on the map (because: it's turn 1 and they don't start with any others or diplomats aren't recruitable for this faction or you use a retire_characters command to kill all diplomats beforehand), then it is possibly, in theory, to specify the target faction for a send_emissary mission by moving the diplomat to a location near the target faction.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
        monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
            if I_IsFactionAIControlled england
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

spawn_army
                faction scripts   ;dummy faction
                character    AgentSpawnCover, named character, age 20, x 341, y 423
                traits        
                unit        UnusedUnitType            exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
            end
            spawn_character    scripts, SpotterDiplomat, diplomat, age 20, x 241, y 401
            give_everything_to_faction scripts england false
            kill_character AgentSpawnCover
            if I_CharacterExists SpotterDiplomat
            end_if
            kill_character SpotterDiplomat

terminate_monitor
        end_monitor

Since this fires at the start of the first human faction's first turn, the state of the map is always the same, and hence the game always picks the same target faction. The problem is that the game usually picks the wrong target faction if there are a bunch of factions in the vicinity of where the diplomat was spawned. I have yet to determine exactly how the game picks the target faction, but it's definitely not as simple as whichever faction's regions are closest to the diplomat.
    Nice find with the diplomacy mission, that it can be given like this via script! Didnt notice it was used in americas ...

Well, its expectable there would be only way to give the mission via scrit.... thus via the script you wrote, hence you got the right one (mission_name source_faction), and its not possible to add additional parameters...

Perhaps the solution to your assassinate type issue would be, that you increase movement points of assasins to some insane number (via descr_characters) or perhaps give them a bunch of bonus movement traits? You could manage it being given and removed via triggers... You could try the same with diplomats.. at least to perhaps see what affects it or not
    Last edited by Jadli; December 28, 2020 at 05:33 PM.

In the end I just simply gave each faction an assassin with low skills, he has no name and his portraits says "DONT LOOSE ME!" and his trait description says that the player needs him to receive missions and that he can move him around to slightly affect which dungeon targets he receives
    The script in post #70 resolves this if you don't want the assassin to be visible on the map.

You seem pretty convinced that the assassinate_general mission is granted based on distance from the assassin agent to the target instead of distance from the faction's regions to the target. We know this is the case for the send_emissary mission (distance from diplomat to target faction's regions), but I tested for the assassinate_general mission and could only get the mission to be given when the target was inside the mission faction's regions or a rebel border region regardless of where on the map I moved the assassin.

Good suggestions to try increasing the assassin's agent skill and movement points. I will test both of these.

If the diplomacy mission is indeed affected by the diplomat's movement points, then I would need to spawn him next to the intended target faction's capital and reduce his movement points to zero to be sure the mission can only pick the intended target faction. I will also try giving him max agent skill to see if that affects it.

Gaming Emeritus

It does resolve it only partially and I already undoubtly proved that it does depend on distance to assassin and his capabilities in some regard as well(together with proximity to your regions) As I said, when I put a starting assassin on an abandoned inacessible isle (with intent to give every faction missions without having to hire an assassin) it didnt work, no missions were given. Because the assassins was unable to reach the target. If assassins had 0 MPs, no missions either (that you did too). And similarily, if I recruited an assassin in city A, I got different mission targets than in city B. And also there is "difficulty_threshold" which is an assassination difficulty, which you can use to limit to difficult missions, so it it must be counted based on your assassins' skills. Hence I deeemed its better to not spawn and retire assassins, to make missions assignment more dynamic, as if player moves him around, it might only help.. Mainly I cant use it because in the same time I want assassins to be availible to players for other actual assassination missions and so on.

However, since the script command of send_emissary is similar to take_settlement and not to assassinate_type (you cant specify target, it always picks it for you based on some parameters), I suspect it might not depend on distance to diplomat as much as with assassins in assassinate_ttype, but who knows, curious to see what you find out.
    Also, one more suggestion (regarding your targetting characters for assassinate_type), you can do similar thing what I have done in my missions in the newly released mod. I made the three types of dungeons, and different "assassinate_type" mission for each, based on different attributes of the targets. You can do the same, but for the sama targets, so there is more variability with picking targets. I believe you said you target characters with Magic 10? Well, you can ensure they can have any Magic value from 1 to 10 (either via triggers or starting traits/ancs I suppose) and you create 10 basically the same missions, one for each level of the Magic attribute, and you give each missions for example "exclude_duration 50" and that should also ensure you get many different targets as well (but they will all still be in or next to your regions).

BTW, there is my missions file from my mod if you want to check the stuff and all the possible missins. I also scripted some rewards in connection to paybacks... and tied some further things/rewards to it in EDU,EDG and EDCT/EDA ... in case you want to see (or just download the mod ). I will probably make some expanded mission guide at some point...

EDIT

BTW, you cant actually make 10 entirely separate missions based on Magic level, as you can only specify minimu attribute threshold, so if you used only Magic attribute min threshold 10 times, the lower one would always include the ones above... however, you can sort it as I have, by combining two or multiple attributes as requirements, if you would want it to work entirely reliably.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jadli; December 29, 2020 at 02:45 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast