Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Guide for Missions

Default Re: A Guide for Missions

Mhm, I saw your post and ideas... nice one!

Nevertheless, I'd stick with the c_s for specific rewards (from special missions) like the one you seek, the descr_missions is pretty hardcoded for pre-set missions/rewards, though...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The conditions MissionID or PaybackID in connection with MissionSuceeded (not required I think with PaybackID) should do the trick, using the LeaderMissionSuccess event or the even more specialized mission events like MarriageMission.

If you manage to get the condition\event combo right then you are only limited by the scripting commands as to what you want to happen as reward. Scripting the actual mission can be a bit iffy, in Rise of three kingdoms we reverted to script only and used a 'show_me' script to call up the mission goals.

I see, yes in descr_missions can be some combos, although limits prevent somewhat fantasy of the modder.

Scripting with a show of explanations, points and requirements to fulfill is nicer, indeed! (I mean, it feels more like a true "mission")

Thanks Gig, again, for this "scripting panorama"..

Blog Entries

The Cao Cao mission chain in RotK was the first we attempted that does not use any mission files. Used some fancy foot work for camera movements and arrows on the strat map together with regular historic events. This was then set up to repeat on pressing the regular mission button via show_me script as long as the mission was pending. But in the end all of it can be in the regular script.

Feel free to poke around in the campaign and show_me script and adapt useful stuff, some credit if you do does wonders for my ego
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 20, 2017 at 08:54 AM.

Is there a way to exclude factions from certain missions. Like prevent them from getting the 'Blockade Port' mission?

I never tried but by setting which faction get the mission in descr_mission, you should exclude the others. Like here:

Code:
    mission	council_take_settlement teutonic_captureconvert
    {
        ORDER_COUNCIL_MISSION
        image_path_issued	oracle
        image_path_expired	oracle
        image_path_success	oracle
        image_path_failed		oracle
        duration 15
        exclude_duration 25
        score_modifier 1.5
        max_score			200.0	; max score clamp
    ;    difficult_turn_start	0
        turn_start			15
        factions { normans, byzantium, sicily, milan, ellenobaktrioi, egypt, turks, romani, }
        paybacks
        {
    	random 0.5	payback_id order_major_income
    			payback_id order_major_unit
        }

lower_diff_threshold	0.0	; threshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 0.0
        upper_diff_threshold	1.0	; threshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 1.0
        ratio_modifier		50.0	; modifies score (+) by ratio * modifier
        no_garrison_modifier	50.0	; modifies score (+) by modifier if garrison exists
        min_settlement_level	village
        link_mission_id		teutonic_convert
        religion_thresh		0.9
        target_religion		heretic
    }

Thanks a lot! I'll try this immediately.

A couple of question about some added missions of kingdoms expansion:

teutonic_captureconvert
    teutonic_convert
    teutonic_assassinate_general
    teutonic_assassinate_priest

I suspect it's not possible as hardcoded, but better to ask anyway...

Is there a chance to track the activation of those missions in scripts?... For example, once one of those is issued in the panel of the missions, is there any particular code I can use in campaign_script to track the fact that the mission is ongoing and not yet completed??

I explain, I'd like to use an I_EventCounter and another I_CompareCounter which will regulate what mission is issued by a non-playable character (triggered when you select a playable figure placed just next to it), so that only one mission per time is issued by this non-playable char...

whereas about the final rewards of these missions, it's ok, they already refer singularly to all these missions...

Hence, yes, a possibility to track the activation of those missions in c_s, so I can manage what appears when??

thanks!!

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

The I_PlayerHasMission condition?

Code:
    if I_PlayerHasMission teutonic_captureconvert
      ;this mission is currently active...do something
    end_if
    I assume that would work. I don't recall ever using that condition before.

reallyyy!! this would save my whole plan about those missions issued by non-playable characters, thanks Withwnar...

Actually, I never saw such condition before while playing mods, gonna test asap and I will provide the results of my trial!!

Thanks a lot again for the suggestion

Vanilla's export_descr_advice.txt and norman prologue CS use it. But it was in the docudemons that I found it originally.

yes, finally!

I had the test... just as you said, the condition in the c_s recognizes the missions I mentioned, so with the counters now I can decide what mission is triggered by the non-playable character while clicking (a witch-oracle is the one in charge), and the missions just appear once per time as I was exactly looking for... as a mission is terminated, then a new one generates without multiple missions at the same time!

Thanks a lot Withwnar, I thought It was not achievable!!

+ big rep!!!!!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

In SSHIP, I've got the following issue report:
    Playing as the Rum Seljuks I get missions like "Annex Settlement x". When I do it I get a mission message telling me that someone else already annexed it and the mission doesn't give me any reward.
    It seems that for that faction, even if it manages to succeed to the mission, the game doesn't reconize it. I've tried to look through the descr_missions.txt file and have found 3 kind of missions of that type:
    mission council_take_rebel_settlement
    mission council_take_settlement
    mission annex_settlement

As you can see, for the 3rd one, there's no "council" specified. Could it be the cause?

Btw, what is the difference between "take a settlement" and "annex a settlement"?

Many thanks in advance
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

"Annex" in post 3 of this tutorial describes it as a diplomacy-give action, not a battle capture. "It expires if the target settlement is taken" ... presumably including by you.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Damn, I've missed it
    Thanks for pointing it for me. Now, I understood that non-issue actually. If I'm right, taking a settlement means conquer it with an army. Annexing a settlement means get it by the diplomatic way. So in my case, because the player conquered the settlement instead of negociating it, his mission failed.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Yep, that's my reading of it.

I didn't know the difference between "annex" and "take" either. Although, the in-game mission description is a bit of a giveaway:

"By rights, this settlement should be under our authority. It is a mockery for it to be held by our rivals. The Council suggests you send a diplomat and attempt to have them to hand it over. You may be able to offer them a settlement that is less valuable to us in exchange."

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

As I understand its not possible to create custom missions, with custom objectives like conquer multiple specific settlements, set the deadline etc. RIGHT?

Blog Entries

I tried the 'take settlement' mission a long while back - although it works I never managed to get it to work for a particular settlement.

The assassinate mission however works and we used it in 1648 to set Gustav Adolf of Sweden as target for the opposing coalition factions.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Have anybody got descr_missions from teutonic? And the expanded.txt? I cant unpack it, and I asked several other ppl but it didnt work for anyone as well...

Aslo, I assume if I make some mistake, typo etc, the game wouldnt start, right? (similarily like when you typos in EDB, EDU, etc)
    Last edited by Jadli; April 04, 2020 at 07:27 AM.

Blog Entries

You are the second member telling me he can't unpack teutonic. Is it a general issue or just this campaign, Steam or disk? - my Steam unpacks without a hitch.

jadli.zip

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast