Thread: Flickering Mountains

Default Flickering Mountains

Hi all,

So one thing that annoys me a great deal is a weird visual bug that happens around the Hindu Kush mountains where the peaks will flicker in and out of existence as you scroll past them, exposing weird-looking bodies of water under them. I've attached an image of the bug.

Does anybody else get this? Is it fixable with some graphics tweaks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountainflicker.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	365382

Default Re: Flickering Mountains

actually, i dont remember seeing this in any other mod, so must be fixable, i presume?

I've had this but kinda just ignored it. Been there ever since 2.35A update.

Update: I fixed it!!! It feels incredible, like popping a zit you've had for months.

Turns out Med2 doesn't like "High Mountain" ground types being too densely clustered and freaks out, so I've interspersed them with "Low Mountain" around the problem mountains (i.e. the Hindu Kush/Himalayas) using GeoMod. They look less majestic but no longer phase out of existence when you scroll the map.

If you want to fix it for yourself, backup map_ground_types.tga in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/base, replace it with my version (attached below, unzip first), and then delete map.rwm in the same folder (the game will rebuild it when you next start a campaign). No idea if this is save compatible though, sorry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    Update: I fixed it!!! It feels incredible, like popping a zit you've had for months.

Turns out Med2 doesn't like "High Mountain" ground types being too densely clustered and freaks out, so I've interspersed them with "Low Mountain" around the problem mountains (i.e. the Hindu Kush/Himalayas) using GeoMod. They look less majestic but no longer phase out of existence when you scroll the map.

If you want to fix it for yourself, backup map_ground_types.tga in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/base, replace it with my version (attached below, unzip first), and then delete map.rwm in the same folder (the game will rebuild it when you next start a campaign). No idea if this is save compatible though, sorry.
    wow you are a star! it bugs me in my Baktrian letsplay when they are in your face half the time. will test it out and report back.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post

all works like charm and save game compatible. wish i had it applied before recording the final episode of Baktria campaign.

hope devs take note of this and implement in the next update.

thanks again for this

Hey everyone, just in case the previous fix has issues in 2.4, I've rebuilt it using the new version of EBII.

Like I said before - the mountains look less majestic, but no longer phase in and out of existence. No gameplay impact, impassable areas remain impassable, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files