Thread: How 'accurate' is the new successor system in 2.35?

Default How 'accurate' is the new successor system in 2.35?

Hello,

Returning to EB2 after a long break,just reinstalled the mod this week, and started a Carthage campaign.

In order to trigger Barcid reforms, I of course want a Barcid general as my faction leader. I have placed the Potential Successor ancillary onto my first Barcid family member, and I would like to ask, does this guarantee this guy will be the next faction heir, or is this a percentage chance only?

Thanks!

Default Re: How 'accurate' is the new successor system in 2.35?

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    Hello,

Returning to EB2 after a long break,just reinstalled the mod this week, and started a Carthage campaign.

In order to trigger Barcid reforms, I of course want a Barcid general as my faction leader. I have placed the Potential Successor ancillary onto my first Barcid family member, and I would like to ask, does this guarantee this guy will be the next faction heir, or is this a percentage chance only?

Thanks!
    Good of you to return to EB2, first of all, EB2 has been updated to version 2.35A R3.5, follow the instructions in the opening post of the sticky trend Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.35A R3.5 released!. In the new version, the Barcid reforms have been made easier to achieve with the following changes and revelations:

• Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
      Yes, he's gotta be both. Unfortunately, if he's already faction leader, he cannot be elected to Rab Mahnet through player selection. HOWEVER, if the faction leader is Charismatic and Fabulously Wealthy, he is still eligible through automatic selection. To enable automatic selection, once the Rosh declares war, decline to manually choose the Rab Mahnet. This permanently disables player selection, but allows automatic selection. The way this works is that starting the turn after war breaks out, any qualifying FM, including FH and FL, inside of a settlement with Council Administration could be elected to Rab Mahnet. To guarantee that it's your faction leader, have everyone previously in a Council Administration settlement step outside while your FL steps in. Yes, it's complicated, but until 2.4 rolls out with its revamped Carthage, you gotta do this to unlock those Late Libyan units, improved governments, and the ability to construct Foreign Military Colonies outside of the Punic heartlands
    • The chances of new characters (via marriage, adoption or coming of age) being Barcid have been bumped up greatly, so your starting eligible Barcid, Hanno is not as critical to getting the reforms as he used to be....

As for the potential successor, there is a hidden authority meter that every character possesses (the only character with that authority visible is your faction leader), the potential successor ancillary increases that hidden authority up by 1, there is no guarantee that the character with the ancillary will become the heir, to increase that character's chances of becoming heir, have him win battles and amass influence to better his chances.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by realm56; August 11, 2021 at 06:35 AM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Thank you. I have the 2.35A R3.5 installed (restarted my 2.35 campaign after finding out about it).

My plan currently is: have a Barcid Rab Mahnet with the Potential Successor ancillary and stay at war until he becomes FH. What I'm worried about is: when the FL or FH dies, does the ancillary guarantee that my Barcid guy will be the next FH?

Edit: only saw the second part of the reply after I wrote my post.
    Last edited by LordBlades; August 11, 2021 at 07:31 AM.

Thank you. I have the 2.35A R3.5 installed (restarted my 2.35 campaign after finding out about it).

My plan currently is: have a Barcid Rab Mahnet with the Potential Successor ancillary and stay at war until he becomes FH. What I'm worried about is: when the FL or FH dies, does the ancillary guarantee that my Barcid guy will be the next FH?
    Like I mentioned before, having the ancillary is no guarantee of your Barcid candidate becoming faction heir, this is because of a holdover from vanilla Medieval 2 which prioritizes the firstborn son/son in law married to firstborn daughter of current faction leader/heir and favours them to leap ahead in the succession (Thank you very much primogeniture!). the best advice I can provide is the one I hinted at before (Win battles and amass influence, if your barcid happens to be the firstborn son of current FL/FH, well good for you (Sons can take the opposite political ideology of their father but its rare...)), besides, there was always an element of political jockeying for the succession in real life when the FL/FH dies so nothing is a given!
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Metaluis90's Avatar Ordinarius

Just to be clear, once a faction heir is appointed by the game, there's nothing the "potential successor" trait can make (or any workaround in that regard) to allow its character becoming the new faction leader? If I understand its mechanics, correctly what the trait does is giving a chance or designated character a shot to become the next faction heir, doesn't it?

I'll give an example with my current romani playthrough

First FL died and Manlius Valerius Maximus became the faction heir. The game chose Publius Claudius Pulcher (a 20 year-old at the time) as the faction heir. I wanted Atilius Regulus to become the next Faction leader, so I gave him the potential sucessor ancillary and he got the trait; during the course of his life, he amased influence, even becoming consul several times, winning battles against Carthage and becoming a celebrated triumphator. At age 72, Manlius Valerius Maximus died and contrary to what I expected, the celebrated Atilius Regulus didn't become the faction leader but the unproven first-time consul Claudius Pulcher became the faction leader, as the game intended. To add to my suprise, his 22 year old son - and not Regulus -became the faction heir.

I understand this may be intended vanilla behavior, but - being my first EB II playthrough - I don't know if it's working properly.

Claudius Pulcher's authority is 0, by the way.

EDIT: To put things even more in perspective, both characters (Atilius Regulus and Claudius Pulcher) have the influence points maxed out, but whereas Atilius Regulus was a grizzled commander (so more than 9 battles and with vanquisher of carthaginians and celebrated triumphator traits) Claudius Pulcher had commanded less than 3 battles
    Last edited by Metaluis90; September 07, 2021 at 03:41 PM.
    "Rules without exceptions last eternally; Roman Law is the only law"
    "The mighty sword in mighty Roman hands"

Quote Originally Posted by Metaluis90 View Post
    Just to be clear, once a faction heir is appointed by the game, there's nothing the "potential successor" trait can make (or any workaround in that regard) to allow its character becoming the new faction leader? If I understand its mechanics, correctly what the trait does is giving a chance or designated character a shot to become the next faction heir, doesn't it?

I'll give an example with my current romani playthrough

First FL died and Manlius Valerius Maximus became the faction heir. The game chose Publius Claudius Pulcher (a 20 year-old at the time) as the faction heir. I wanted Atilius Regulus to become the next Faction leader, so I gave him the potential sucessor ancillary and he got the trait; during the course of his life, he amased influence, even becoming consul several times, winning battles against Carthage and becoming a celebrated triumphator. At age 72, Manlius Valerius Maximus died and contrary to what I expected, the celebrated Atilius Regulus didn't become the faction leader but the unproven first-time consul Claudius Pulcher became the faction leader, as the game intended. To add to my suprise, his 22 year old son - and not Regulus -became the faction heir.

I understand this may be intended vanilla behavior, but - being my first EB II playthrough - I don't know if it's working properly.

Claudius Pulcher's authority is 0, by the way.

EDIT: To put things even more in perspective, both characters (Atilius Regulus and Claudius Pulcher) have the influence points maxed out, but whereas Atilius Regulus was a grizzled commander (so more than 9 battles and with vanquisher of carthaginians and celebrated triumphator traits) Claudius Pulcher had commanded less than 3 battles
    This is because the heir was already chosen. I'll explain how the mechanic work by steps
    1. The Faction leader dies, and the game replaces him with the Faction heir - the old FH is now the FL.
    2. As there is no faction heir now, the game starts looking for a new one.
    3. The game looks at all family members, and pick the one with the highest authority.
    3.a In this process, you can help the odds of getting your candidate picked by giving the ancillary.
    4. The new heir has been appointed. So long as he has that title ingame "faction heir", he will never ever be demoted. He is destined to die or to become king.

Your issue here is that you aleady have an heir, once you do, it doesn't matter how much authority you have, he will be the next ruler.

The ancillary only helps in the process of selecting a new heir, not a new ruler. So in essence, it can't select your future ruler, only your future heir. To speed up the process you would need to get the heir killed, that way your selected candidate can take place as heir.

Hello,

Thanks!
    You don't need to have faction leader barcid just war leader barcid. Once all reform are fulfilled just declare war and appoint barcid as your war leader.(or just ensure your war leader are always barcid)

I was expecting this method will be more known by now consdiering how much of a pain in the ass trying to make barcid faction leader is.