Thread: Historically Accurate, Well-Balanced Romani Army Based Upon Polybius and Vegetius

Default Historically Accurate, Well-Balanced Romani Army Based Upon Polybius and Vegetius

So I've made two schemes:

ROMANI POLYBIAN ARMY

And the part that wasn't included in the end said "... armies".

ROMANI POST-MARIAN ARMY

"Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Campidoctor

Default Re: Historically Accurate, Well-Balanced Romani Army Based Upon Polybius and Vegetius

Nice. And here's my Camillian contribution to round out the Romans.

Default Re: Historically Accurate, Well-Balanced Romani Army Based Upon Polybius and Vegetius

My take is on pre-Marian armies a bit different, but close to Dooz´ roster. I center it around the idea that a consular army is usually two legions, while a praetorian army is one legion with half of the units coming being allied contingents.

A single legion is one each of:
    Roman skirmishers (Leves or Velites) & Allied skirmishers
    Hastati & allied lighter infantry
    Princeps & allied heavier infantry
    Triarii
    Equites + FM

For the allied units I use either Socii (sometimes for both Hastati and Princeps line) or other units from the local recruitment pool to reflect the local origin of the legion. When I combine two legions for a consular army, I use only one equites and one locally recruited cavalry unit for the allies. This leaves room for an additional FM (young ones as military tribunes), siege equipment if needed, or extraordinary if the army is commanded by a currently serving consul.