Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questions! Questions that need answering!

Default Re: Questions! Questions that need answering!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleitus the Pink View Post
    You can choose to enslave the the captives you captured during the battle. It will have the same disastrous hit to your reputation though, especially if you do it to thousands at a time. That's why I nearly always choose the ransom option. You either get a lot of money or the faction can't pay and their troops get enslaved anyway, except this time it won't tank your reputation.
    Any advantage to releasing them on your diplomatic rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    Any advantage to releasing them on your diplomatic rating?
    Releasing captives improves your diplomatic standing slightly.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Releasing captives improves your diplomatic standing slightly.
    As in your reliability or just the faction you defeated? I can't imagine releasing the captives could outweigh the damage I am doing through war so unless it affects overall reliability there would be no point.

Does the market bonus for tributary state only apply to tributary states or does it apply to all allied gov?

Does culture in a settlement affect the type of retinue you get?

As in your reliability or just the faction you defeated? I can't imagine releasing the captives could outweigh the damage I am doing through war so unless it affects overall reliability there would be no point.

Does the market bonus for tributary state only apply to tributary states or does it apply to all allied gov?

Does culture in a settlement affect the type of retinue you get?

• Your reliability increases slightly when prisoners are released.

• The market bonus applies to Tributary State only.

• Culture in a settlement does not affect the type of retinue you get (I will be fun if it did!).
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

• Your reliability increases slightly when prisoners are released.

• The market bonus applies to Tributary State only.

• Culture in a settlement does not affect the type of retinue you get (I will be fun if it did!).
    My man with the answers! Does a tributary state avoid the negative malus that comes from the traditional greek city states?

My man with the answers! Does a tributary state avoid the negative malus that comes from the traditional greek city states?
    There are two sources of unrest that is associated with the greek city states when playing as a Hellenistic faction:

• Stasis: -20% Law (This applies for all hellenisitc factions and cannot be negated unless you are the KH and have the Greek League Founding State government installed)
    • Hellenic Autonomy: -20% Happiness (This applies to any Hellenistic faction that builds a FACTIONAL government in settlements with this label, unless you are the KH, if that is you then you can safely ignore this)
    - Sun Tzu

There are two sources of unrest that is associated with the greek city states when playing as a Hellenistic faction:

• Stasis: -20% Law (This applies for all hellenisitc factions and cannot be negated unless you are the KH and have the Greek League Founding State government installed)
    • Hellenic Autonomy: -20% Happiness (This applies to any Hellenistic faction that builds a FACTIONAL government in settlements with this label, unless you are the KH, if that is you then you can safely ignore this)
    So a tributary state will incur the first and neuter the second?

So a tributary state will incur the first and neuter the second?
    Yes
    - Sun Tzu

From what I can tell I can't turn Petra into a city as Greeks. Is that something Nabati has to do first, and if so, what conditions do they have to meet?

From what I can tell I can't turn Petra into a city as Greeks. Is that something Nabati has to do first, and if so, what conditions do they have to meet?
    Please take note of the following discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Megas View Post
    I have the same question about Tadmur and Nabatu when I play as AS. In my Seleucid Campaigns I always consider to take Tadmur as a priority.
    Unfortunately the AS is not on the list of factions that can convert camps to settlements.

This honor is only reserved for the following:

Pahlava, Sweboz, Saka Rauka, Sauromatae, Mamla ha biMassylim, Lougiones, Kimmeros Bosporos, Halmalkot ha'Nabati, Boii, Getai and Safot Softim biQarthadast.

And even then, only nomadic camps with the following label/building (Pastoral region or better...not that uniform pastoralism) can be converted to settlements given that mid-scale pastoral farms are built and your Steppe Nomadism/Arid Nomadism culture is below 60%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Megas View Post
    Realm56, What do you recommend in this case? Wait for the conversion of Tadmur by the Nabatu or take the settlement in the early stage of game (and consequently it remains as camp)?
    Unfortunately, the AI will never be able to convert camps to settlements on its own, I'm afraid there is nothing more that can be done.
    This will also apply to Petra.
    - Sun Tzu

I'm just curious, is it possible to take convertible camp, develop agriculture, reduce nomadic culture and then give it to faction that can convert. After that, can AI build the required builing?

Quote Originally Posted by Paerisades View Post
    I'm just curious, is it possible to take convertible camp, develop agriculture, reduce nomadic culture and then give it to faction that can convert. After that, can AI build the required builing?
    Honestly, that is a very good question and I really don't know the answer to that, but I doubt the AI is able to do it, even with all the right conditions presented on a silver platter.
    - Sun Tzu

Please take note of the following discussion:

This will also apply to Petra.
    Man thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I'll just run up on them then, no reason to wait for them to do anything.

Is there any reason not to accept a candidate for adoption when the option presents itself?

Is there any reason not to accept a candidate for adoption when the option presents itself?
    You do have a limited number of total family members/children, so if you adopt too many or at the wrong time it can lead to your other bloodlines dying out. Same thing I think if you have too many client leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganos Paran View Post
    You do have a limited number of total family members/children, so if you adopt too many or at the wrong time it can lead to your other bloodlines dying out. Same thing I think if you have too many client leaders.
    What is the total number? Is there any advantage to protecting certain bloodlines past your royal bloodline with the +1 fertility?

What is the total number? Is there any advantage to protecting certain bloodlines past your royal bloodline with the +1 fertility?
    Characters that are of the royal bloodline gain an Authority bonus if they ever become the Faction Leader.

Some factions' royal bloodline offers more than just +1 fertility. For example, the Ptolemies' Lagides ethnicity and the Bosporans' Leukonides ethnicity also grant +2 influence, which is extremely valuable for getting that extra cultural conversion oomph.

I also typed the following before realizing I misread your question and wrote too much, but here they are anyways:

Certain factions have certain ethnicities that have scripting-related mechanics. They are:

Parthia - Only a Suren character with at least 5 influence that spends one turn in a core Indian province can unlock the Indo-Parthian Satrapy government. Very useful for those migrating to the eastern corners of the map!

Arevaci - Only ethnic Celtiberians can participate in the "Celtiberian Warrior Values" traitline.

Epeirotes - There's an actual Federalization Reform that requires that all your starting Aikades family members (Pyrrhos, Ptolemaios, Alexandros, and Helenos) die. This will obviously happen eventually no matter what... but if you want to experience Federalization gameplay early then you can suicide via leaky ship the legendary Pyrrhos, his competent sons Ptolemaios and Alexandros, and that idiot Helenos. Actually, kill off Helenos early on anyways. He sucks. Your future Aikades characters don't have to die prematurely though (Pyrrichos breathes a sigh of relief). They aren't noticed by the campaign script.

Taksashila - Only non-FL/FH characters that are of the warrior caste can benefit from a special ancillary that grants hefty general-related bonuses. Similarly, only non-FL/FH characters that are of the priest caste can benefit from a special ancillary that grants excellent governor-related bonuses. Those of other ethnicities are left with nothing.

Makedonia - Only Antigonid characters (ostensibly with high loyalty and Unselfish) can gain the "Loyal Antigonid" trait, which IIRC grants +1 influence and +1 loyalty.

Baktria/AS - Any Makedonia-related ethnicities can potentially gain "Pothos" which implies that they will acquire REALLY bad traits if they can't spend a few turns in Pella, Makedonia's ancestral capital. For AS, a pilgrimage to a recently-conquered Pella for homesick characters is a hassle. For Baktria, this is practically impossible.

In 2.35 R 3.5A, is it normal that the westernmost African starting settlement of Carthage can recruit no Africans, but a mix of Spanish, Ligurian and Gauls ?
    Last edited by LordBlades; September 02, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Characters that are of the royal bloodline gain an Authority bonus if they ever become the Faction Leader.

Some factions' royal bloodline offers more than just +1 fertility. For example, the Ptolemies' Lagides ethnicity and the Bosporans' Leukonides ethnicity also grant +2 influence, which is extremely valuable for getting that extra cultural conversion oomph.

I also typed the following before realizing I misread your question and wrote too much, but here they are anyways:

Certain factions have certain ethnicities that have scripting-related mechanics. They are:

Parthia - Only a Suren character with at least 5 influence that spends one turn in a core Indian province can unlock the Indo-Parthian Satrapy government. Very useful for those migrating to the eastern corners of the map!

Arevaci - Only ethnic Celtiberians can participate in the "Celtiberian Warrior Values" traitline.

Epeirotes - There's an actual Federalization Reform that requires that all your starting Aikades family members (Pyrrhos, Ptolemaios, Alexandros, and Helenos) die. This will obviously happen eventually no matter what... but if you want to experience Federalization gameplay early then you can suicide via leaky ship the legendary Pyrrhos, his competent sons Ptolemaios and Alexandros, and that idiot Helenos. Actually, kill off Helenos early on anyways. He sucks. Your future Aikades characters don't have to die prematurely though (Pyrrichos breathes a sigh of relief). They aren't noticed by the campaign script.

Taksashila - Only non-FL/FH characters that are of the warrior caste can benefit from a special ancillary that grants hefty general-related bonuses. Similarly, only non-FL/FH characters that are of the priest caste can benefit from a special ancillary that grants excellent governor-related bonuses. Those of other ethnicities are left with nothing.

Makedonia - Only Antigonid characters (ostensibly with high loyalty and Unselfish) can gain the "Loyal Antigonid" trait, which IIRC grants +1 influence and +1 loyalty.

Baktria/AS - Any Makedonia-related ethnicities can potentially gain "Pothos" which implies that they will acquire REALLY bad traits if they can't spend a few turns in Pella, Makedonia's ancestral capital. For AS, a pilgrimage to a recently-conquered Pella for homesick characters is a hassle. For Baktria, this is practically impossible.
    So as AS letting my makedonia characters dies off isn't the worst thing in the world!

What about the "Arrogant Hellene" trait? I had one playthrough where it rarely happened but I have had a ton of characters get it recently. What are the conditions?

{Arrogant_Hellene}Arrogant Hellen
    {Arrogant_Hellene_desc}Raised by a proud Hellenic mother or maybe from reading too much of Aristoteles, this man is nonetheless a Hellen and damn proud of it. He is so proud, in fact, that he is bewildered why the King allows barbarians to have any benefits at all. Surely a mistake which he has to correct.
    {Arrogant_Hellene_effects_desc}-1 Influence, +2 Unrest (decreases public order).
    Source: export_vnvs.txt

Trigger Arrogant_Hellene_Hellene
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition Trait SeleukidHellen > 0
    and Trait ArrogantHellene < 1
    and FactionType f_seleukid
    and Trait Selflessness < 3

Affects ArrogantHellene 1 Chance 2

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger Arrogant_Hellene_Makedon

Condition Trait SeleukidMakedon > 0

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger Arrogant_Hellene_Seleukides

Condition Trait SeleukidSeleukides > 0

Source: export_descr_character_traits_regionlabels.txt

So literally any Selfish Hellenistic character can become arrogant. Practically guaranteed for lifetime governors to become bigoted POS by their fifties.

You have a lot of questions, and they're good questions, but to sate your curiosity quicker you could learn how to search for relevant data yourself. Generally, campaign_script.txt has all the unique gameplay mechanics, export_descr_buildings.txt has everything building-related, and export_descr_unit.txt has everything unit-related.

Spoiler alert: all the in-game descriptions for trait, historic event, ancillaries, and building flavor text are in export_vnvs.txt, historic_events.txt, export_ancillaries.txt and export_buildings.txt, respectively. Although TBH some of these flavor texts, such as the ones for the massive Eastern Migrations, are extremely hard to achieve in-game. No shame in reading them, you might even learn a ton about history that you can't easily find elsewhere (Fun fact: Google "Asana" followed by some nomad-related keywords. You won't find ANYTHING pertaining to the specific steppe tribe that displaced the Sakans during EBII's timeframe. EBII literally has insider info)

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    In 2.35 R 3.5A, is it normal that the westernmost African starting settlement of Carthage can recruit no Africans, but a mix of Spanish, Ligurian and Gauls ?
    That settlement is Gader. IIRC it starts with either a Medium or Large Phoenician Trade Colony. These buildings offer you mercenary recruitment of mercenaries from the nearby (Western) Mediterranean regions (If you manage to build one in Salamis, you get some... interesting recruitment from the Eastern Mediterranean). This explains the Ligurians, Gauls, and Maurentanians. Gader's government is the Closely Allied Democracy, which offers a good selection of "true" Iberian troops. None of that Celtiberian or Lusitanian stuff. No Iberian elites though.

The Trade Colonies actually do offer Africans in the form of Libyan Spearmen and Maurentanian Cavalry, but if you're looking for those hardcore Liby-Phoenician troops, you'll have to spend a valuable colony point to "side-grade" the Trade Colony into the first level of Settler Colony, and beyond for better access to Liby-Phoenician troops and good locals. Even a Large Trade Colony will be converted to a Small Settler Colony. Don't spend colony points frivolously!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast