Thread: A few questions about new & old...

Icon5 A few questions about new & old...

Hi. I really enjoy Rome Remastered so far despite of the few well known issue (UI, pathfinding and so on). However I encounter few issues I was not able to google so far, so I wonder if it has always been like this...

Here's my situation. I play as Numidia (basic unit size 80, vh/vh - not that it matters so much in RR), snatched Carthage, Thapsus and Thebes early on. Now I have all of Africa except Alexandria (turn 25). Now Romans start to show up, first Julii with little army, no problem. But then came Brutii (for whatever reason) and sieged Carthage. Knowing the AI rather wait out siege than attack directly I sally forth and...

They have 6 units of wardogs, 4 generals including faction leader, 2 Equites, 3 units of Hastati and 2 Velites. Luckily I have adequate garrison there consisting of 6 archers, 1 javelin, 3 Desert Infatry, about 8 Numidian Cavalry and 1 general. Still the forces are 60:40 in Brutii favor.

1. Wardogs. I tried this battle probably 10 times but always been doomed by... Wardogs. They are literally insane. But not because they are strong but because once released they are ignored by literally everyone! I know that if I click to attack them, my units will go for handlers, that's okay. But I don't remember that my infatry is not defending against the actual dogs. They just stand there, let themselves be chewed one by one in front of the gates, while my archers on the wall just watching it despite of fire at will is on and nobody else is in range. That surely wasn't in original, right? How do you deal with dogs in RR with faction without heavy infatry? Furher more if you wipe out the handlers, the actual dogs are unattackable. I don't remember that either and doesn't really make sense...

2. Numidian Archers. I notice that quite often when I issue order to get back behind front lines, the archers just stand there for few seconds (probably questioning my orders), while something is charging them. Of course that these few seconds are essential in their survival. Was that normal before? Never noticed that when I play as a Roman.

Finally I gave up the sally attempts, noticed that Brutii have just their two starting towns which might be undefended and with another army set sails for an excursion of my own. And indeed, Tarentum had just four units total behind the wooden walls, perfect. That probably prompted the siege battle for Carthage. Also perfect...

3. Siege Towers (level 3 walls). So my 6 units or Archers are all on the walls with all the other infatry mentioned earlier. He build two siege towers and two ladders. I know that when I would face so many archers, my siege equipment would be on fire in matter of seconds. However despite of concentrated fire all of his equipment is in 100% condition while he already attacking on the walls. How many archer units do you need to set 1 siege tower on fire before it reached the wall? Does the tooltip actually telling the truth?

We actually succesfully defend against them and they scram with their dogs. Nice. In the meantime I'm sieging Tarentum...

4. Wooden wall siege tower bug. So in Tarentum I captured the wall while one of the siege tower still shooting at me... while I'm inside. Was that in original? It was one tower in the "innner" corner.

Bonus question: Why are Slingers in level two archery range, but archers level first for Numidia? Are Slingers better for something (because I can't see a situation where that would be the case) or is it just little tweak to make Numidia a little more bearable?

Okay, that's probably all... for now. I can't install English spellchecker on this computer, so I hope didn't make too many mistakes :-)

Default Re: A few questions about new & old...

Don't sally out with your whole army. Use your cavalry units to isolate and pick off weaker units in the enemy army. Since the war dogs are such a problem I'd focus on the handlers and try to kill as many as reasonably possible. Get your cavalry back inside and settle for the draw. The dead handlers won't be there next turn so you'll have fewer dogs to deal with. You should have several turns to whittle down the enemy. I've used this general technique successfully numerous times.
    I'm OldTotalWarrior on YouTube.

Default Re: A few questions about new & old...

Yeah, I tried that but he defended them quite well. That didn't answer any of my actual questions, tho :-). I think 2.0.2 patch made it a little bit more bearable (I wrote this just day before announcment). Would be nice it there would be some kind of aggresive stance/seek and destroy mod. There isn't anything like that, right?

I finished this short Numidian campaign yesterday, defeating not only Carthage, but also Brutii, Scipii and Egypt. It was fun, but I must admit that the main reason I won was really strange AI behaviour on campaign map :-). Mostly abandoning sieges for no reason or sallying out with inferior army.