Thread: What's wrong with event_titles.txt.strings?

Default What's wrong with event_titles.txt.strings?

Another of those weird occurrences. I've been trying to edit a few entries in event_titles.txt.strings for a while now, because the original contains several poorly written messages and misplaced spaces. However, it turns out that I fail miserably at this again seemingly simple task.

I'm using the BIN Editor to modify the string file directly. Once I save the changes, I notice that the game still uses the old version even though it apparently no longer exists in files. I'm aware that there are some hardcoded backups that I need to overwrite through the "file_first" entry in preferences, however when I try to do anything of the sort, the game crashes. I also tried copying my new event_titles.txt.strings and pasting it inside my mod folder, which I believe would make the file_first command unnecessary. However doing so also crashes the game. It appears that it simply doesn't recognise changes done to event_titles.

This seemed absurd at first and I was sure I was doing something wrong, until I found this page: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=993

The guy who posted this claims that the game crashes whenever he edits event_titles.

So I wonder, is that confirmed? Does the game always crash whenever anyone does any change to this file? Has anyone successfully modded it before?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's wrong with event_titles.txt.strings?

The events themselves are hard coded, but otherwise there is no issue - I just edited the display text in both event files and then some data text and there was no problem running my trusty Bare Geomod. There could be an issue if you edit the data text and the event actually takes place, but nothing further then a {localized_text} place holder.

The modding world of M2TW is full of advice not to mod in the main directory, and it has numerous reasons - ranging from inconvenience to outright complications. Hence why I developed my BG, that's apart from every edited file requiring the file_first entry anyhow. The exception being if you actually mod the main game and edit files that already exist.

There is a twist to string.bin files when you use Steam: new string.bin files will not generate for the 'terrible 4' (battle, strat, shared and tooltips) if you delete the old string.bin file - otherwise you should not have issues.

The link is to a tool that got released when M2TW had itself just been released and string.bin editing was still a bit of a mystery, keep in mind that the game only provides the string.bin files.

If you want I could have a look at your file if there is a formatting issue, but if you use the BinEditor that shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep in mind that 'exporting' creates the TXT version and 'save' creates the string.bin version of the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The events themselves are hard coded, but otherwise there is no issue - I just edited the display text in both event files and then some data text and there was no problem running my trusty Bare Geomod. There could be an issue if you edit the data text and the event actually takes place, but nothing further then a {localized_text} place holder.

The modding world of M2TW is full of advice not to mod in the main directory, and it has numerous reasons - ranging from inconvenience to outright complications. Hence why I developed my BG, that's apart from every edited file requiring the file_first entry anyhow. The exception being if you actually mod the main game and edit files that already exist.

There is a twist to string.bin files when you use Steam: new string.bin files will not generate for the 'terrible 4' (battle, strat, shared and tooltips) if you delete the old string.bin file - otherwise you should not have issues.

The link is to a tool that got released when M2TW had itself just been released and string.bin editing was still a bit of a mystery, keep in mind that the game only provides the string.bin files.

If you want I could have a look at your file if there is a formatting issue, but if you use the BinEditor that shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep in mind that 'exporting' creates the TXT version and 'save' creates the string.bin version of the file.
    Oh, I would certainly appreciate if you could take a closer look. These things are not easily explained. Though I have no idea how to upload files in this section.

My first hope was that you could quickly spot what was wrong based on my descriptions. The file is already editted but the changes are not taking effect in the game, and the game is working fine otherwise. If I pick this editted file from the vanilla folder and paste it in the mod folder, the game crashes.

No clue why this is so? I can guarantee that the changes I made are minimal and only about aesthetics.

Blog Entries

You would need to compress the txt and string.bin file together and then either attach it here via the advanced edit option or upload it to a service like mediafire and then copy the link here.

You would need to compress the txt and string.bin file together and then either attach it here via the advanced edit option or upload it to a service like mediafire and then copy the link here.
    Honestly, why do they make this so complicated? I'm getting an error message saying the file is invalid when I try to upload it. Dragging it directly into the post simply causes me to re-download the file to my own PC.

There is no txt file, by the way. I only use the string file. Could that be the problem? Do I need to convert it to txt?

Update: I've just figured that I also have no idea where the exported file goes when I use the BinEditor to turn a string file into a text file. The output file is stated to have been created but it is not inside the text folder.

Update 2: Nevermind. I've managed to grab the file directly from the BinEditor menu, copied it, and pasted it on my desktop. But the case remains that simply exporting it generates a seemingly ghost file that exists but is nowhere to be found. Odd but harmless.
    Last edited by es157; July 22, 2021 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries

String.Bin is not a format the site accepts as attachment, hence the 'compressing' instruction - 7Zip is freeware.
    When 'exporting' the TXT file (or saving the String.Bin file) in BinEditor you should make sure the correct directory is chosen - it usually is the directory in which you opened the original file, but I also had prior directories if I opened a string.bin file via double clicking.

It is perfectly fine to only use string.bin files if you use the BinEditor to edit them - you will however run into issues with strat, battle, shared and tooltips as it is not possible to edit the string.bin directly for those 4. In that case you will need to edit the relevant TXT file to force generating of new string.bin files.

Naive me. It turns out that when I convert the string file to txt and paste it in my mod's text folder, the changes take effect as intended and the game works fine. I was facing crashes before because I was editting the string file directly without converting. I still don't know why it makes a difference at all, but since now it works I won't complain much.

My concern now is that according to you there should be no problem in only using the string file. Sounds like something is still off with my files.

In any case, thank you for your time and specially for this tool. I struggled with it for a while but I'm finally mastering it. Without you saying that I need to click "export" to generate a txt file I would never have found that the solution was so simple.

Blog Entries

The tool comes with a manual, do have a look at it as it also contains some tips and tricks if memory serves.
    The PDF manual in the download is a revised and more detailed version of the section in my Geomod manual.

The tool comes with a manual, do have a look at it as it also contains some tips and tricks if memory serves.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Since we are here, is there a known way to circumvent the issue you mentioned in regards to the "terrible 4"?

I usually work with the corresponding text files, the bin is generated on game start (backup first!) if you worked before with the bins you can convert them before to text with the tool Gigantus mentioned.
    Also very important is the format used in the text file!! it took me a few days to found the error resulting from this! My setting for notepad++ is Windows (CR LF) and UCS-2 LE BOM for imperial_campaign-regios_and_settlement_names.txt
    Think this also works for the other files, if not I will look through the forum again and find the thread where it was mentioned.

Best regards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by es157 View Post
    Since we are here, is there a known way to circumvent the issue you mentioned in regards to the "terrible 4"?
    Afraid not - in Steam (and disk) you will have to work with the TXT files directly. Steam requires the STRING.BIN files to be present to generate new ones, in disk they generate without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainhouzhe View Post
    Also very important is the format used in the text file!! it took me a few days to found the error resulting from this! My setting for notepad++ is Windows (CR LF) and UCS-2 LE BOM for imperial_campaign-regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    All TXT files in the data\text directory have to be in that format. They also require the fancy symbol ( ¬ ) in the first line with the exception of 'credits'.