Thread: Incentivizing faction to train lots of priests

Default Incentivizing faction to train lots of priests

Hey, I am working on a mod that had disabled priests for all factions except the Rebels.
    I've re-enabled priests for one faction, and recruited many with them in a campaign. But when controlled by the AI, they don't seem to recruit any even though they are plagued by religious unrest and could really use some holy men.
    I don't suppose the AI Personalities could influence the recruitment of priests? And if not, how could I incentivise them further to do so?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Incentivizing faction to train lots of priests

Not sure if you could do it via AI - that you would have to ask the guys in their forum. You may however have some luck by reducing the recruiting price in descr_cultures. Don't forget that you will need churches to recruit them - and it's only one per church\settlement unless you change that in the EDB.

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Based on the fact that we know AI personality affects building and unit purchase decisions, I'd say there's a strong possibility that they do affect agent decisions as well. But we'd need Jojo to confirm this and even so the effect may not be significant enough to achieve what you want using personality alone.

In the meantime, I would suggest that getting the AI to train more priests isn't the best way to address religious unrest issues. All the priests will do is add a conversion rate bonus to whatever region they're in and they're likely to walk away from said region even if CA did write code for the AI to prioritize putting their priests in regions with low native religion %. Conversion can more easily be done using building effects that are only available to AI factions. You could add such effects to the core city/castle lines so they will be available to the AI in every region they capture. You can also add simple PO bonuses for a more immediate effect (so their settlements aren't rebelling left and right).

If you absolutely need to have more AI priests on the map (for aesthetic reasons or some such), and AI personalities aren't cutting it, you could try a simple script to randomly spawn them in if their numbers get too low. Example pseudo code:

Code:
    set number_priests to 0 at start of turn

use CharacterTurnStart AgentType = priest to counter up number_priests for a faction each turn

if number_priests < 10
    and settlement is owned by faction X
    and faction X is AI controlled
       spawn_character random_name, priest in region
    There is probably a better way to count the number of priests on the map, I could have sworn there was a condition for this. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using a script like this unless there's no other way to get the AI to train priests on their own and you really just want them to have a bunch of priests visible on the map.

Blog Entries

You will need an event that fires after CharacterTurnStart to trigger the spawn if the count doesn't reach your prescribed limit. Check here which event could be suitable. In other words you will need to complete the counting of priests before testing if the count has met your target.

Hey everyone,
    it's a mod set in the 5th to 8th century: a time of great proselytisation and missionary work, mainly coming from the Roman Empire and, after its fall, from the regions formerly attached to it.

I don't necessarily want the Empire to solve its own religious crises by training lots of priests, I just want the map to be inundated with Imperial missionaries, annoying the hell out of its polytheist neighbours, or possibly even pressuring them to convert.

There's already a lot of scripted (rebel) priests on the map but they're all historical. I want the faction to WANT to convert its neighbours.
    Besides, wouldn't this script firing off every turn slow down the turn times?
    I could also just create a random priest in the same region every 5 turns, wouldn't that take less of a toll on the turn times?

Possibly relevant: I've never seen factions to NOT recruit priests when they could, so maybe something is holding them back (though when I played them myself there was no obstacle to training priests). What could that be?
    Last edited by UrienRheged; July 21, 2021 at 05:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Recruiting is a matter of available funds and priority, there is no AI setting that might give some preference to religious recruitment afaik:
    balanced - bias towards growth, taxable income, trade level bonuses (roads), walls and Exp bonus buildings
    religious - bias towards growth, loyalty, taxable income, farming, walls and law
    trader - bias towards growth, trade level, trade base, weapon upgrades, games, races and Exp bonus buildings
    comfortable - bias towards growth, farming, games, races, Exp bonus and happiness
    bureaucrat - bias towards taxable income, growth, pop health, trade, walls, improved bodyguards and law
    craftsman - bias towards walls, races, taxable income, weapon upgrades, Exp bonuses, mines, health and growth
    sailor - bias towards sea trade, taxable income, walls, growth, trade
    fortified - bias towards walls, taxable income, growth, loyalty, defenses, bodyguards and law

These biases are towards building properties, rather than buildings themselves. The game does not know what a "Blacksmith" is, for example, it only knows that it is a building which provides a weapon upgrade, and hence a Craftsman AI would be more likely to build it than another AI personality type.

These are then combined with a troop production personality, as follows:

smith - exactly level
    mao - biased towards mass troops, light infantry
    genghis - biased towards missile cavalry and light cavalry
    stalin - biased towards heavy infantry, mass troops and artillery
    napoleon - biased towards a mix of light and heavy infantry, light cavalry
    henry - biased towards heavy and light cavalry, missile infantry
    caesar - biased towards heavy infantry, light cavalry, siege artillery

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Yea, I think this is affected by other things in the mod, i.e., whether the AI actually needs it and is worth it, in my mod some factions tend to recruit a lot.

So I would say it generally depends on whether is religion actually relevant in a mod.. in my mod there are 10 or so religions (hence you often need to convert), there is high religion unrest, religion is instrumental for recruiting of units, etc.. I assume it also matters how fast is conversion through priests vs churches (you can set the conversion rates in descr_campaign_db)

Though once AI recruits the priests, they can also send them to other regions, not just their own... sometimes a lot, as it did to this island (though I believe the red faction originally held the island, so I suppose they were stuck there)

Last edited by Jadli; July 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM.

Why not activatet the regions religion influensing each other, and give the roman empire buildings a way higher convertion rates.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

That can be enabled indeed... spies and governors can convert as well, if you enable it in descr_campaign_db
    Last edited by Jadli; July 26, 2021 at 07:18 AM.

Oh nice! How could I do that?
    And then I'd need to add an appropriate religion to every descr_strat spy & diplomat's traits, wouldn't I?

ad this to the
    descr_campaign_db
    in the religion part
    <founding_conversion_default_rate float="0.01"/> set how much a settlement will convert to its founding factions religion as set in the strat 0.01 = 1%
    <neighbour_normalise_weight float="0.01"/> how much neighbor settlements influens each other
    <governor_conversion_rate_offset float="0.01"/> how much governor converts
    <governor_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.01"/> how much effect piety traits have
    <spy_conversion_rate_offset float="0.000"/> see governor
    <spy_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.000"/>
    <owner_conversion_default_rate float="0.01"/> How much concurent owner converts to
    <spy_conversion_rate_foreign_modifier float="0.0"/> no ideea

Thanks!