View Poll Results: Which unit would you like me do do first?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Halithoz (Germanic Heavy Infantry)

0 0%
  • Hippeis Bosporitai (Bosphoran cavalry)

2 15.38%
  • Basternai Draugai (Basternian Companions)

0 0%
  • Ebess Toutas (Oscan Lancers)

1 7.69%
  • Brateres Coso (Lusitanian Youths)

0 0%
  • Parashim Maurim (Maure Cavalry)

1 7.69%
  • Fayah Safyalatin (South Arabian Tribal Lowlanders)

0 0%
  • Pondunes (Liguro-Corsi Slingers)

0 0%
  • Katoikoi Thraikes (Thraikian Colonists)

5 38.46%
  • Amossoi (Celtiberian Mercenaries)

2 15.38%
  • Pantodapoi (Hellenised Levy Spearmen)

1 7.69%
  • Hippeis Baktrioi (Baktrian Medium Cavalry)

1 7.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EB 2 In-Depth Unit Analyses

Default Re: In-Depth Unit Analyses

Voting for the unit to feature in Round 4 of the In-Depth Unit Analyses has officially closed! The Amossoi has been chosen! Their analysis has now been posted.

Voting for the next unit to be done is now open! This time, we will head to the Caucasus and take a look at the hardy folks that call the place home. Cast your vote on the straw poll for the unit you want me to hire for the week (Link to the poll is in the opening post under the Voting for the next unit section), you have until the 27th of August to do so.

How are you liking them so far?

Feedback is always welcome.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

I think they are great.

Just a reminder that voting for round 5 of the EB2 in-depth unit analyses is only open for a few more days. This time we take a trip to the Caucasus, make your choice which of these hardy units fill feature this time!

You have the option to vote for the following to be done:

• Aswar i Nezagan (Caucasian Lancers)
    • Doryphoroi Kolkhoi (Colchian Spearmen)
    • Khaldiae (Chaldian Warriors)
    • Kartvelni Mehomni (Kartvelian Warriors)

Vote here:
    https://strawpoll.com/9vbr4ezug

Members and Guests alike are more than welcome to participate!

Voting closes on the 27th August!

I think I will do something different next round, comment which 4 units you would like included in Round 6's poll.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Voting for the unit to feature in Round 5 of the In-Depth Unit Analyses has officially closed! The Aswar i Nezagan has been chosen! Their analysis has now been posted.

Voting for the next unit to be done is now open! This time, the units for this week are part of a faction breakdown with Baktria in the spotlight for this week. Cast your vote on the straw poll for the unit you want me to do this week (Link to the poll is in the opening post under the Voting for the next unit section), you have until the 3rd of September to do so.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post16037614
    Last edited by realm56; August 27, 2021 at 08:24 AM.
    - Sun Tzu

Voting for the unit to feature in Round 6 of the In-Depth Unit Analyses has officially closed! It appears that we have a tie! The Baktrioi Hippeis and Hippotoxotai come out tied for first place! Their analysis has now been posted.

Voting for the next unit to be done is now open!

This week will be special, we will be doing a mystery box, guess the units that are in this week's poll in the comments and vote! I will give a short phrase for each of this week's units to help you out.

You will have until the 10th of September to cast your vote!

Poll:https://strawpoll.com/82u5rwbkb

1. We may adopt the ways of the settled peoples, either by assimilation, marriage or birth but our bows still sing and our aim still true. Not all of us can afford a horse but we are well protected all the same.
    2. Many write and speak of us in awe and in fear. Neither pain, toil or cold shall stop our thunderous charge, our courage shall be seen by all. Even if the sky falls on our heads, we will be remembered!
    3. From the most revered city in our fine Republic we hail, clad in the finest kit available to us. We may be a little older and wiser but we are still ready and willing to fight alongside our younger brethren in this most dire of times.
    4. From the Heavenly Mountains we come, hooves thundering through the great steppe with the finest of our kinsmen, and driven to seek everlasting glory and fame. Our renown will live forever.

I will reveal the answers at the end of the vote!

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by realm56; September 03, 2021 at 08:06 AM.
    - Sun Tzu

My guesses:

1. Thureopherontes Toxotai
    2. Zrehgen Aswar (I'm guessing because they have less terrain penalties for forest and snow than other heavy cavalry units)
    3. Triarii, most likely Camillian
    4. Turan Riders

Voting for the unit to feature in Round 7 of the In-Depth Unit Analyses has officially closed! It appears that we have another tie! It looks like options 1 and 3 are tied for first place!

The answers are as follows:

1. We may adopt the ways of the settled peoples, either by assimilation, marriage, or birth but our bows still sing and our aim still true. Not all of us can afford a horse but we are well protected all the same.

Answer: Thureopherontes Toxotai

2. Many write and speak of us in awe and in fear. Neither pain, toil or cold shall stop our thunderous charge, our courage shall be seen by all. Even if the sky falls on our heads, we will be remembered!

Answer: Gaisatoi

3. From the most revered city in our fine Republic we hail, clad in the finest kit available to us. We may be a little older and wiser, but we are still ready and willing to fight alongside our younger brethren in this most dire of times.

Answer: Triarii (Polybian)

4. From the Heavenly Mountains we come, hooves thundering through the great steppe with the finest of our kinsmen and driven to seek everlasting glory and fame. Our renown will live forever.

Answer: Saka Rauka Ashwabara

Many thanks to any who participated!

Unfortunately, the analysis of the winning units will have to be put on hold for the time being with the following release from our publisher:

In the late hours of the 5th of September as our scribes finished up their diligent work for the day, several armed intruders broke into the office and revealed themselves as disgruntled former contestants who proceeded to hold our scribes at sword point and the demanded money and that they be included in our releases and have threatened to kill the scribes if their demands were not met. Thankfully, the head editor was on duty that evening and had successfully negotiated the release of the hostages by conceding to their demands along with the provision of the demanded funds and some additional gifts to ensure that the incident did not escalate any further. The disgruntled contestants were content with the editor’s offers and exited the office without further incident although our staff were left more than a little shaken by the whole incident but expressed relief that the situation did not deteriorate any more than it already did.

Security has since been upgraded and work continues to progress on the analyses for last week’s winners with staff making up for lost time due to the nature of the hostage taker’s demands.

This week’s poll is now open, this time, we will delve into a special collection of units seldom seen, let alone used on the battlefield due to their rarity on the world stage. You have until the 17th to make your choice.

Poll Address: https://strawpoll.com/rvb1ghcyo

Finally, a gentle reminder that voting is highly encouraged, it only takes a moment and as always, our analyses are posted on the opening post of this trend!

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by realm56; September 10, 2021 at 06:19 AM.
    - Sun Tzu

How about roman equites? A decent medium cavalry but has ridiculous 4-6 limit manpower which are only equal to carthage libyan cavalry(which has been nerfed due to libyan garrison script) and nomad faction light cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    How about roman equites? A decent medium cavalry but has ridiculous 4-6 limit manpower which are only equal to carthage libyan cavalry(which has been nerfed due to libyan garrison script) and nomad faction light cavalry.
    All in good time...our scribes also have lives to live, mouths to feed and are still very much reeling from last week's incident, a couple are currently receiving emotional counseling .

Although.... Roman Equites are now a challenging unit to use since the latest patch due to how many other cavalry units are better value for money than these spoiled sons of equites and senators.....but on the other hand, more nomadic light cavalry, mounted archers and skirmishers alike are very much in the works, just vote for them when we put them up in the polls if you want them to have an analysis done on them .
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    All in good time...our scribes also have lives to live, mouths to feed and are still very much reeling from last week's incident, a couple are currently receiving emotional counseling .

Although.... Roman Equites are now a challenging unit to use since the latest patch due to how many other cavalry units are better value for money than these spoiled sons of equites and senators.....but on the other hand, more nomadic light cavalry, mounted archers and skirmishers alike are very much in the works, just vote for them when we put them up in the polls if you want them to have an analysis done on them .
    Will eagerly waiting!

It's still a no brainer for me to use roman equite since i tend to take many casulties from cavalry(both form manual and auto battle) probably because i micromanage and manuevering with my cavalry a lot while my roman legion just pin the enemy infantry and probably some stationary cavalry

Will eagerly waiting!

It's still a no brainer for me to use roman equite since i tend to take many casulties from cavalry(both form manual and auto battle) probably because i micromanage and manuevering with my cavalry a lot while my roman legion just pin the enemy infantry and probably some stationary cavalry
    Yep...equites are a no-brainer out of desperation. There are too few cavalry units available in Italy. Most of the time, you won't have more than one of every other cavalry unit at most, barring some Sabellian cavalry early on before the provinces get Romanized to allow better government buildings.

IMO no-brainer units are not interesting for this analysis. That's why I voted for Triarii last time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Yep...equites are a no-brainer out of desperation. There are too few cavalry units available in Italy. Most of the time, you won't have more than one of every other cavalry unit at most, barring some Sabellian cavalry early on before the provinces get Romanized to allow better government buildings.

IMO no-brainer units are not interesting for this analysis. That's why I voted for Triarii last time...
    You could always recruit/hire Hippeis Tarantinoi and Ebess Toutas in the south and Epades Dessis or Epokorion when you get the chance. Interestingly, you could also recruit Hippeis from Capua while its still has lower levels of Western Mediterranean Polities with the Socii government. Your desperation is warranted, the Romans were not known to have powerful indigenous cavalry and relied heavily on Socii contingents to fill the gap (I always use at least 3 cavalry units, even as Rome), unless for some reason more appear from beyond the horizon .

As this initiative is still young, what other units do you think deserve an analysis? There are many more units to cover and I'm always open to suggestions .
    - Sun Tzu

You could always recruit/hire Hippeis Tarantinoi and Ebess Toutas in the south and Epades Dessis or Epokorion when you get the chance. Interestingly, you could also recruit Hippeis from Capua while its still has lower levels of Western Mediterranean Polities with the Socii government. Your desperation is warranted, the Romans were not known to have powerful indigenous cavalry and relied heavily on Socii contingents to fill the gap (I always use at least 3 cavalry units, even as Rome), unless for some reason more appear from beyond the horizon .

As this initiative is still young, what other units do you think deserve an analysis? There are many more units to cover and I'm always open to suggestions .
    Given the slow replenishment rate, you rarely end up with more than one of each of those cavalry units among all your troops.

Some interesting units that deserve analysis IMO: Askamanniz, Promachoi Isauron, Zibutai (frankly, I want to know if you see any use for those with Raskumezenai all around), Legiof, Rakabin...

Feeling a bit mood for hellenic so hoplitai and hemithorakitai peltophoroi being a great core infantry for hellenic early faction and also hypaspistai and peltastai makedonia for being the most common elite unit.

Brateres Coso may deserve an analysis. It's a weird unit that combines low armour with a professional status, it's formed by skirmishers but they are able to fight as line infantry and it's formed by 240 men. I am not sure but surely there are very few units like this one in EB2.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Brateres Coso may deserve an analysis. It's a weird unit that combines low armour with a professional status, it's formed by skirmishers but they are able to fight as line infantry and it's formed by 240 men. I am not sure but surely there are very few units like this one in EB2.
    It has 200, not 240 men...but it's a unit that would be definitely used way more if it was available. They have spears and tight formation, so they are relatively safe from cavalry attacks while operating in front and at the flanks of main battle line like other light troops, and overall good stats for their role.

Default Re: EB 2 In-Depth Unit Analyses

Voting for the unit to feature in Round 8 of the In-Depth Unit Analyses has officially closed! We have a clear winner, the Toghrin Ordo have come in first place!

This week’s poll is now open, this time, we present the following message:

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Who will you make that journey with?

You have until the 24th to make your choice.

Poll Address: https://strawpoll.com/2o2vr2rhj

Finally, a gentle reminder that voting is highly encouraged, it only takes a moment and as always, our analyses are posted on the opening post of this trend!

Stay tuned!
    - Sun Tzu

So uhh i never see toghrin ordo because i haven't play that far in eastern campaign. How late before they arrive and do we get invasion event?

So uhh i never see toghrin ordo because i haven't play that far in eastern campaign. How late before they arrive and do we get invasion event?
    If you are the Saka, Parthians, Baktrians, Taksashilans or Sarmatians and own Kushi-Yapoy, the Xiongnu will demand tribute, refuse enough times and repel the punitive expeditions that they send and the Tuqi of the Right will see fit to punish you for your impudence himself with a massive invasion force. His arrival is automatic by 198 BC.
    - Sun Tzu

Seeing how the latest patch brought changes regardingly lethality, how do both the Germanic and Lugiian clubmen fare in combat?

My experience using them has been a quite dissapointing due to the fact they are unable to actually perform well as anti-armor units. Especially dire since both the Sweboz and Lugii factions are dominated with lightly armored units that struggle against their far more armored neighbors.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast