Thread: How to move an existing unit to a new faction? (advice on modding the remastered descr_model_battle file)

Default How to move an existing unit to a new faction? (advice on modding the remastered descr_model_battle file)

The goal is to add WRE units to the ERE faction. I've done some simple editing on the earlier RTW so I followed those steps.

I'll use Foederati Infantry as an example.

First I added ownership and ethnicity for the ERE...

(attached screenshot 1)

Then I made this change to export_descr_buildings...

(attached screenshot 2)

The results of theses changes in-game was the unit being listed in the milita barracks building description but not being actually recruitable in any city with a militia barracks.

The last step should be to edit the descr_model_battle file but I have no idea how to do this as the file has been changed considerably in the remastered version.

I'd be delighted if anyone could give me advice on what to do next or perhaps change something I've already done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2.png   Screenshot 1.png  

Default Re: How to move an existing unit to a new faction? (advice on modding the remastered descr_model_battle file)

Quote Originally Posted by Sustentaculum Tali View Post
    The goal is to add WRE units to the ERE faction. I've done some simple editing on the earlier RTW so I followed those steps.

I'll use Foederati Infantry as an example.

First I added ownership and ethnicity for the ERE...

(attached screenshot 1)

Then I made this change to export_descr_buildings...

(attached screenshot 2)

The results of theses changes in-game was the unit being listed in the milita barracks building description but not being actually recruitable in any city with a militia barracks.

The last step should be to edit the descr_model_battle file but I have no idea how to do this as the file has been changed considerably in the remastered version.

I'd be delighted if anyone could give me advice on what to do next or perhaps change something I've already done.

Default Re: How to move an existing unit to a new faction? (advice on modding the remastered descr_model_battle file)

Hmm, from what I glanced off of the remasters descr_model_battle's file, there appears to be 2-4 of the same layouts of different entries (for the most part): i'll use a couple examples of this

Pbr.tga textures: "pbr_texture data/characters/textures/BI_foederati_infantry_empire_west_pbr.tga" then underneath it says romano-british (no empire_west_rebels here)

the Textures ""texture's"": "texture data/characters/textures/BI_foederati_infantry_empire_west.tga" then under that one says "empire_west_rebels" as-well as "romano_british"

and after the model textures for the empire_west: it says "model empire_west_rebels, African data/characters/BI_foederati_infantry_empire_west_rebels_African" then under that one to it says "romano_british"

perhaps under from textures and from there then on, do some-thing like this "texture empire_east, data/characters/textures/BI_foederati_infantry_empire_east.tga" underneath of the last entry that's there. (that being texture slave, data/characters/textures/BI_foederati_infantry_slave.tga or you can try placing it under the western_empire one). ((oh also don't forget to rename the Texture's ""textures"" line's .tga of the Foe's to empire_east instead of west if you haven't already))

Also, sorry about the quote post, it was supposed to be with my response but somehow it didn't send and I can't re-edit, so that'll have to do, im also having internet troubles at this time on top of this.