Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why are you afraid?

Campidoctor

Default Re: Why are you afraid?

Like Snowden?

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    From what I can tell, he was a self-identified Agnostic who openly rejected Christ and the Bible.
    Whether a man of such views can be considered humble, tender-hearted or Christian, I leave it to you to decide.
    Thank you very much for correcting my crass ignorance, my faulty recollection seems to have been based on his mind set as a young man, but for the greatest part of his life its definitely true he was not a Pauline Christian, but as you say a definite agnostic.

I am once again grateful to have my errors pointed out and to learn something, and I am indebted to you.

Is it fair to suggest Darwin acted with reasonable good faith and charity toward his supporters, friends, family and critics? He seems to have been patient and humble, if a little grumbly at times.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Cyclops,

Well for a start Adam and Eve weren't born, they were created and placed in a garden that contained nothing lethal...
    ...and yet they died. I'm telling you if I did that, shortened the lifespan of two newborns through crass negligence ( God left them alone with a snake! A venomous snake you insist was Satan!) and left them with lifelong pain and suffering before they died I'd be off to gaol.

i guess that's the problem with these unnatural families, God was trying to "do it all" and be a single parent, when he should have been married. "On Earth as it is in Heaven" so what, the Pope is more like God than most Christians because he's a bachelor? I doubt that very much.

He had a son already (who also died young) and he has two more children, and he just leaves them unsupervised while he's off doing what? Fair dinkum call child services.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Like Snowden?
    No he qualifies as a spy
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Cyclops,

Our existence was written of before He created the heaven and the earth and done for His good pleasure. Each part has been played out and will be played out until He makes that final judgement. You are only trying to rewrite with your suggestions what cannot be rewritten. Every word you put down on print He already knows. He even came to us as one of the players yet the penny never dropped and still hasn't for most of the other actors in this story. There never has been nor ever will be such an Author and so my prayer for your sake is that you too will get that call before death takes hold. The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ should be proof enough.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Our existence was written of before He created the heaven and the earth and done for His good pleasure
    So kind of boring really like reading the end of every Agatha Christie novel and than starting from the front. Of course you view only works after Paul is run through Augustine and than through Calvin its not evident if you just read the OT.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    News: scientists get male rats to give birth

The experiment drew much criticism. Controversial, I know, but if you look into those criticisms - they're not centered around practical concerns such as gene pollution. Instead they all come from a single cause: people are generally afraid when we do what was thought to be God's work.

But why? Is it gene deficiency or social engineering that make people to think that way? Why are we afraid? Many of them probably don't even believe in God, yet they continue to follow his laws.

Isn't that the ultimate form of oppression, to convince people to oppress their capabilities and intelligence so willingly they can't feel they're being oppressed?

What's wrong with playing God? We shall all be Gods one day - how can there be any drawback? The only question is how we reach that.

Nothing to do with God.

Its a simple question. Just because you can do something, should you? is has being the backbone theme of any good si-fi show, or film or novel since ever. Going back to Foundation, and Dune and such.

Praeses

Cyclops,

Our existence was written of before He created the heaven and the earth and done for His good pleasure. Each part has been played out and will be played out until He makes that final judgement. You are only trying to rewrite with your suggestions what cannot be rewritten. Every word you put down on print He already knows. He even came to us as one of the players yet the penny never dropped and still hasn't for most of the other actors in this story. There never has been nor ever will be such an Author and so my prayer for your sake is that you too will get that call before death takes hold. The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ should be proof enough.
    Ah so god intended for humans to make male rats give birth?

I think you are going too far there old chap. I mean its one thing for God to make a man out of mud and offer him every single animal in existence for a life partner (maybe it was hazing? A good natured prank?), and quite another for him to allow us to impregnate Mr Rat which surely goes against God.

Then again God did impregnate a married woman, what is the punishment for that again? I guess Jesus died on the cross, maybe that was his punishment for getting Mary pregnant?

Then again God did impregnate a married woman, what is the punishment for that again?
    As one off does seem to coveting somebodies wife and seem a little odd - why not pick a unmarried women better and pay the bride price. At least the Greeks could shrug and be like who does have relatives seduced by a God or at least a Satyr or raped by a Centaur...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Ah so god intended for humans to make male rats give birth?

I think you are going too far there old chap. I mean its one thing for God to make a man out of mud and offer him every single animal in existence for a life partner (maybe it was hazing? A good natured prank?), and quite another for him to allow us to impregnate Mr Rat which surely goes against God.

Then again God did impregnate a married woman, what is the punishment for that again? I guess Jesus died on the cross, maybe that was his punishment for getting Mary pregnant?
    Cyclops,

If that's what's written into His story for us who are we to argue about it? Don't male sea horses carry their offspring?

Mary was not married, rather betrothed to Joseph at the time of the union of Christ to her egg. When it was discovered that she was pregnant Joseph did think about breaking things off, the marriage that is, but after a dream from God was persuaded not to do this. The couple went on to have other children as if nothing untoward had happened. So God gets punished by words and yet every day across this planet women whose husbands are incapable of making them pregnant get injected with donour sperm so that they can have a child so where's all the clammer about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Thank you very much for correcting my crass ignorance, my faulty recollection seems to have been based on his mind set as a young man, but for the greatest part of his life its definitely true he was not a Pauline Christian, but as you say a definite agnostic.

I am once again grateful to have my errors pointed out and to learn something, and I am indebted to you.

Is it fair to suggest Darwin acted with reasonable good faith and charity toward his supporters, friends, family and critics? He seems to have been patient and humble, if a little grumbly at times.
    I'm afraid I don't know enough about the man's personal life to form an opinion on it. What I know about his character comes primarily from the Wikipedia article dedicated to his religious views, which paints an image of a prideful man with a low view of God's holiness and a high view of his own righteousness.
    Last edited by Prodromos; July 09, 2021 at 07:45 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

So God gets punished by words and yet every day across this planet women whose husbands are incapable of making them pregnant get injected with donour sperm so that they can have a child so where's all the clammer about that?
    Lack of pre consent by all parties involved.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Lack of pre consent by all parties involved.
    conon394,

So God's not allowed to do what He wants with His own creation unless they give their consent? Do you ask your children if they want to get up to go to school or do you make them?

Men will allow God to be everywhere except on His throne.

They will allow Him to be in His workshop to fashion worlds and to make stars. They will allow Him to be in His almonry to dispense His gifts and bestow His blessings. They will allow Him to sustain the earth and uphold its pillars, or light the lamps of heaven, or rule the waves of the ever-moving ocean.

But when God ascends His throne, His creatures then gnash their teeth. And when we proclaim an enthroned God, and His right to do as He wills with His own, to dispose of His creatures as He thinks well, without consulting them in the matter—that is when men turn a deaf ear to us, for God on His throne is not the God they love. They love him anywhere better than they do when He sits with His sceptre in His hand and His crown upon His head.

But it is God upon the throne that we love to preach. It is God upon His throne whom we trust.
    — Charles Spurgeon
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

conon394,

So God's not allowed to do what He wants with His own creation unless they give their consent? Do you ask your children if they want to get up to go to school or do you make them?
    Doesn't that analogy suggest that "God" anticipates that we will grow up, finish school, become good at the things he does, and eventually replace him - leaving him to retire to Florida.

Is it time for us to introduce Nietzsche to the conversation?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

conon394,

You would think he might. I knock on my kids rooms doors and sans any issue (say a surprise amazon purchase) never check their devices. Since I'm not a home school type going to school is kinda out of my hands. Point is its still a capricious god who could done the same a lot earlier and chose a profoundly inefficient method of saving people. Of course your view is conflicted because you can't seem to decide if we have the free will to decide or are just automation in a pre cast game.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Operatively sewn in organs. Specimen even sewn together with an entire female... boring. What would be really cool is the artificial uterus that all but abolishes pregnancy.

I wonder why they even did this... what's the point? A uterus doesn't grow on its own in the body of a male vertebrate and neither are male vertebrates able to release the birth ready fetus from their bodies, they have to be taken out.
    Last edited by swabian; July 10, 2021 at 01:37 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Who is funding all of this research?

Why does it sound like some rich guy(s) with transvestism fetish?

It's like that Groom character from the Outlast Series who forces males to become females under his surgical "expertise"

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

What are you saying there? You are tempted to feel female? Because of me? Hm. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You would think he might. I knock on my kids rooms doors and sans any issue (say a surprise amazon purchase) never check their devices. Since I'm not a home school type going to school is kinda out of my hands. Point is its still a capricious god who could done the same a lot earlier and chose a profoundly inefficient method of saving people. Of course your view is conflicted because you can't seem to decide if we have the free will to decide or are just automation in a pre cast game.
    conon394,

So, Jesus Christ dying on a cross in my place was inefficient was it? So inefficient that His once only sacrifice covered all time giving all mankind the opportunity of eternal life with Him. There being no such thing as free-will all mankind was locked into sin as was all the rest of creation when Adam and Eve fell from grace and so the power of salvation remains in the hand of God in that He knows the human heart concerning its feelings for Him. That sacrifice was the only way where sin could be dealt with because who else could have done it other than the Son of God? What we see now is that the world, even most in the religious world, run to Darwin so that they don't have to think about God.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast