Thread: Any geneticists here?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Icon5 Any geneticists here?

Hi, I'd like to ask a question about gene editing. Way in the future, is it possible to edit someones genes to change their traits/personalities? i.e. can you modify their genes to hate a specific individual or an entire race?

Sorry, im writing a scifi story

Default Re: Any geneticists here?

At the most basic level, this is already being done. Currently gene therapy is limited to treating severe disorders caused by a single allele at a particular locus. Mechanically, the problem with the ideas you suggest is that the genetic system is for the most part not modular. Most traits are caused by many small effect alleles spread across the genome. Most of these alleles effect many different seemingly unrelated systems. That's because genes code for proteins rather than for particular traits, and a particular protein can have many different uses in the body. Take for example the HERC2 gene. It effects eye color, height, formation of the testes, repair of DNA damage due to ionizing radiation, circadian rhythm, metabolism, propensity for alcoholism, and so forth. Not only that, but the effect of a particular allele often depends on what other alleles you have, so a targeted change requires changing many alleles, which will certainly have many side effects, most of which we can't predict at this time.

Regarding your specific examples, genes don't exactly code for these things. There seems to be a genetic propensity for the types of individuals a person is more or less likely to dislike and for the tendency to be more or less suspicious and/or hostile toward outgroups, but the specifics of these general tendencies are modulated by environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Also of course just having a gene does not mean it will be expressed even when you drill to a one gene cause. Similarly you might want to read a bit about Epigenetics as well if you going to make DNA a central concept. Of course being sci fi you always have handwavium

But while am no Geneticist sumskilz is right about the complexity of the system. My wife is and in plants (now). Thus she has a ton power to play god and even if she narrows down to on gene that will provide an improved trait say drought resistance or fungus resistance whatever the cascade effects of the alteration are not cut an dry or even clear until you do several generations and than you discover for reasons unknown your change ruined the malting quality of the barley you were fixing for beer.

And old story but

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna3226740
    Last edited by conon394; June 30, 2021 at 02:39 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Yes the technology for knock outs as gotten better and better but the results still are murky in complex genetic system Say you want to do the CRIPR based mosquito knock out to eliminate malaria. You don't care about anything but generating a viable male long enough to start crashing the population. You don't care how long it lives, if its in pain, what it life is like etc.

Telling a parent you can knock out a gene to get the the right hair or eye color is a vastly more complex. And unless you have access to say Nazi Germany you really don't have the means to do controlled studies.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Thanks guys :p