Thread: Issues creating steam default folder

Default Issues creating steam default folder

I'm trying to install M2TW:K on my laptop, and I must resort to Steam as these PCs no longer have slots for CD/DVDs.

I'm following this guide:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?749098

Changing these settings didn't work for me, as steam blocks the creation of a new folder in the same drive.

This video showed the solution to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ0gA0scnyw

In the end, however, for the new directory to work (for the game to install) you must create a folder inside, named: steamapps
    Steam then creates all the directories inside that one.

The normal route for installing games is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\M2TW

After doing these tweaks, I only managed to obtain the following:
    C:\Juegos\steamapps\common\M2TW

Is that correct? Doesn't seem a lot shorter than what it is by default. Had I known, I would have named the folder with one character.

I used to have M2TWK installed on my desktop, with just a simply C:\Juegos\M2TW. Non steam version, so I didn't need all the steamapps and common folders.

How much of an improvement installing M2TW outside of Program Files achieves?
    I was considering doing a partition but I would have the same exact issue, a longer pathfile name due to being forced to have steamapps and common.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Issues creating steam default folder

1. Moving the library works only for secondary drives in the method I explained.
    2a. Long installation paths may create issues with attachment graphic files (textures for unit weapons) as the letter count for the complete path often goes way beyond the magic number of 256.
    2b. The program files directory is 'protected' by the virtual store, the bane of modders. If active it always uses the initial installation files and ignores any update to them. Can be fixed.

Personally I circumvent these issues by installing Steam itself into c:\Steam instead of the default path.