Thread: FOW colour

Default FOW colour

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to turn the fog of war into a sort of 'mist of war'. White-greyish in colour and possibly even a bit more transparent.
    Is this possible and, if so, where do I get started?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: FOW colour

It's map_fog.tga in the data\world\maps\base directory. I am not sure if it accepts colors other then total white and total black. You need to delete the map.rwm after your edit to generate a new map at the start of the next game.

Thanks, but no, that's the 'undiscovered darkness' from the Americas campaign.
    I really mean the color of the fog/shadow you see on the actual campaign map, not in the strat radar map or whatever.
    I'm assuming that isn't moddable?

Blog Entries

black is undiscovered darkness
    white is the 'regular' FoW
    There is no FoW on the radar map as such, only the area you know about in the respective faction colors, the part you can see right now is brighter then the part you can't see. The rest (never seen\never map aquired) is one of the two radar_map.tga files in the imperial_campaign directory depending on magnification.

I think I'm not expressing myself clearly or something is getting lost in translation between my native Dutch and English =)

I really mean the fog of war that you can "toggle_fow" away. Not on the radar map! The one you see on the campaign map and is cleared up by your armies/agents moving around and which moves in again when they leave I was wondering whether the color of that fog/shadow is moddable. I think instead of a dark shadow/fog some greyish mist would look nifty in a British Isles setting.

An image added for maximum clarity, in order to not waste any more of your time =)

Blog Entries

Yup, that's the color in map_fog.tga - and I do not know if other colors then white (regular) and black (undiscovered) will have an effect. You would need to experiment yourself with the color you desire. Once you have edited the file you need to delete the map.rwm file to force generating of a new map for the change to take effect.

I tried red and it had no effect, eg there was no change from the regular way the FoW behaved or looked.

Oh I see! And there is no other way to go about this, then? Otherwise than to edit the core game which is impossible. Thanks for your time, Gigantus!

Blog Entries

Nope, that's the only way to define FoW. There is a file called descr_ui_colors that allows you to define the color of elements of stuff like menu text and sea trading routes but nothing in there.