Thread: Weird When-to-Test Events

Default Weird When-to-Test Events

I'll skip the intro and go straight to the point.

What the heck are these odd-named events such as "Forgiveness" and "Demeanour" that appear in the descr_faction_standing file as test events? I've looked around for information on them but found only redundant one-liners, such as "A faction to faction forgiveness has occurred" and "A demeanour response has occurred in diplomatic talks".

Also, can someone please explain what this "DiplomaticInsult" means exactly? In the vanilla game, there is this entry:

Trigger 0058_T_Diplomatic_Insult ; fired for every 1000 gold diplomacy proposal under balanced - 1
    WhenToTest Transgression

Condition TransgressionName = TC_DIPLOMATIC_INSULT

FactionStanding target_faction -0.07
    It is the only instance of Diplomatic_Insult being used as a condition for anything, and it is preceded by semi-commas, meaning it is not used in the game. I have removed the semi-commas out of curiosity. But why was it there in the first place? Does the fact that it was removed from the original game mean that diplomatic insults do not affect faction relations in vanilla?

Next to the unused DiplomaticInsult entry, there is a valid entry for Dishonour. Again, what does it stand for? Does anyone know at all?

I have tried to find a guide to the descr_faction_standing file, but searching for its name within commas only gives my half a dozen results in English, and all of them are just brief mentions of the term with barely any explanation.
    Last edited by es157; June 18, 2021 at 04:05 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weird When-to-Test Events

I suppose bribe attempts are considered diplomatic insults - hence the mentioning of money in the commented out ( preceded by ; ) section.
    It could possibly also include failed attempts to buy stuff, like map info and agreements, during diplomacy.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 19, 2021 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I suppose bribe attempts are considered diplomatic insults - hence the mentioning of money in the commented out ( preceded by ; ) section.
    It could possibly also include failed attempts to buy stuff, like map info and agreements, during diplomacy.
    There is a separate event for bribery. Could they be the same?

Also, could the Demeanour event mean when the AI faction is annoyed by your proposals and quits the negotiation?

So no clue?

Unfortunately, I've never seen a definitive list of transgression and forgiveness conditions. I think Gigantus' list is complete as far as listing out all the types, but there's very little info on the web about what actually triggers these things. I've included a list of transgressions and forgiveness in my version of the docudemons, but most descriptions are speculative. If you do any testing on transgressions, please post your results here for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    Unfortunately, I've never seen a definitive list of transgression and forgiveness conditions. I think Gigantus' list is complete as far as listing out all the types, but there's very little info on the web about what actually triggers these things. I've included a list of transgressions and forgiveness in my version of the docudemons, but most descriptions are speculative. If you do any testing on transgressions, please post your results here for the community.
    I see... Unlike with other files that use trigger events, these diplomatic triggers don't have very intuitive names to give away their function.

From what I am able to tell, the Forgiveness event seems to be just about giving things to the AI, since it accepts sub-events like FC_MILITARY_ASSISTANCE and FC_OBVIOUS_BRIBE. The former probably means offering to attack someone, and the latter I assume means giving money in exchange for nothing.

But why the name Forgiveness and whether it has something to do with improving relations following a war or a diplomatic insult, I don't know.

As for Demeanour, I'm really intrigued by this one because it is the only trigger I have left behind from the original file after modding it, because I fear it might be important for gameplay but can't figure out how it is used.