Thread: Need a model_strat of the copper resource. Can anyone send me one?

Icon5 Need a model_strat of the copper resource. Can anyone send me one?

Hi all,

I am working on a submod of SS 6.4 (Bug compilation 1.xx) and I can't find a campaign map image of the copper resource, which I want to use in place of coal, which was not mined heavily in 1100 AD, if at all. I have the trade screen pip image, but there is no larger image for use on the campaign map.

Could someone kindly send me a copy of one? I have seen it before, but I cannot remember where. I would also like to have the model_strat images of pottery, olive oil, and lead if someone has them.

Hope someone can send me this cause if I have to try and draw it myself, it will look ridiculous or even downright scary.

I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need a model_strat of the copper resource. Can anyone send me one?

You don't need a picture, you need a model. Which then means you will have to replace one of the existing trading resources (descr_sm_resources) anyhow as EBII uses all of them already. If you do I would suggest to use the gold model, rename it, and give it a new skin\texture.

[deleted]

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You don't need a picture, you need a model. Which then means you will have to replace one of the existing trading resources (descr_sm_resources) anyhow as EBII uses all of them already. If you do I would suggest to use the gold model, rename it, and give it a new skin\texture.
    Hey thanks for that info! Yes, I already said I have removed coal from the game, so I have an open spot, which I want for copper, as it was big back then.

If I understand you correctly, I just take the gold ingot model and... change it's color? I don't know what a skin is, but I'm willing to read up on it. I have only done minimal graphics work when modding. I actually pay someone in France or Canada to make new buildings for my mod.

Is there a simple tutorial that would explain to me in layman's terms how to change the color/skin of the gold model resource?

Again, thanks so much for responding. I greatly appreciate it. I am doing this mod to amuse my sons (and anyone else who enjoys a challenge, or hates it).

Blog Entries

You may have to unpack the game to get access to the coal model. It is here: data\descr_models\resource_coal.cas
    Open the model with notepad and scroll to the bottom to see the name and location of the skin (texture\graphics of the model) - it should read textures\resource_coal.TGA
    That location (texture) is the sub directory of models_strat. Copy model and skin into their respective directories in your mod (if they are not present). then edit the skin - it will open with GIMP (it's freeware, should you not have an editor that can open it).
    Last you need to edit the text associated with the coal resource. I am assuming the mod has the required files:
    data\text\strat.txt - {SMT_RESOURCE_COAL}Coal
    data\text\tooltips.txt - {TMT_COAL_TOOLTIP}Coal - a mining resource
    Change the entry in blue, leave the entry in brackets alone.
    You already got the copper pip, you only need to rename it to resource_coal and place it in the data/ui/resource directory.

That's it. Now add the resource as you would normally in descr_strat as 'coal'

Hey, thanks a lot for that info. I already know most of it, but it still helps to have a step-by-step process laid out for me (instead of trying to do it by memory and then relying on the system.log for where I screwed up).

Maybe I should use the coal model instead of the gold ingots. The coal model is a different shape and might not confuse people as to what it is (in this case, copper). I really feel like it was Stainless Steel that had the olive oil and pottery and gems resources, but I just cannot remember. I have not unpacked the game files for the Kingdoms mods, only the main MTW2 game. I am using a Steam version and have put SS 6.4 in the crusades folder to fool Steam.

I have Paint.net, but I don't know if it can do skins. If it can, I will use that to do it unless it is too complicated. If so, I will download Gimp again.

I hope this works because coal was everywhere and it just was not a major resource back then. Copper, however, was. I plan to get rid of fruits as well and substitute pottery or olive oil or gems for that one. I've given higher values to resources so that players can pay for expensive cavalry units that I don't want to go in and change the price much. I am also adding two new religions to the game to mix things up a bit. I have a long way to go.

I wish I could give you rep, but it says I must spread it around more. WTH? I'll try again later. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Note - the above instructions should hold true for any resource you may want to replace. Tip: resources that you wish to mine (EDB mine building) require the 'has_mine' line in descr_sm_resources - the sole purpose being that a mine shaft gets imposed over the resource when a mine is build. Do make sure to add\remove resources as required in the EDB entries for the mine building.