Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who likes football in this forum?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: Who likes football in this forum?

Americans dont play in this cup, its a Euro cup. Im still confused myself cause its a 2020 cup, and its 2021...

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Americans dont play in this cup, its a Euro cup. Im still confused myself cause its a 2020 cup, and its 2021...
    Well, it was supposed to be played in 2020, but was postponed to 20201. It's played every 4 years, so the next one will still be in 2024 and not 2025
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

20201?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

2021. Silly.
    and Peaman

I figured as much, but its still 2021 now so its a 2021 cup in reality that was meant to be in 2020, but wasnt. Well, probably money reasons lets be honest but that is indeed silly.

I have only a very limited tolerance towards association football because of the rampant disgusting unsportsmanlike behavior. Falling down in supposed agony to fish for free kicks or penalties, and then jumping up all fresh once the ref gives his decision.

I guess that illusion of little jabs hurting that much can only be maintained by people who do not follow other codes of football, martial arts, and the like. Association football should have a rule that if you cannot get off the ground, you need to be substituted for like ten minutes or something and be checked by healthcare professionals. I guarantee those disgraceful displays would diminish by 95 percent.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; June 23, 2021 at 03:19 PM.

Sounds a bit like you are talking about the american football. There's been some nasty injuries in football like

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

so, im more in favour of the theatrics and faking than people getting badly injured.

Sounds a bit like you are talking about the american football.
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to football, not American Football. I support his suggestion, although the main problem with football is not unsportsmanlike behaviour but rather corruption and too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I'm 8 ft tall so i also am good at basketball
    You should try playing in the NBA lol

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

why, because i'm black?

racist

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I like football, I play it myself at very very low level, support the local club currently playing at a low level and watch basically all matches at the EC and WC if I have the time. I also follow an elaborate joke disguised as a football club called Tottenham Hotspur FC.

As for the Euros, it's hard to say who has the best chance to win it. Most of the big teams have not been convincing so there aren't really any frontrunners for me. Italy has probably been the most convincing but the question is how they'll fare against tougher opposition. I feel like most of the bigger teams are about equal to eachother.

I checked who plays today, go go Portugal!

btw Ronaldo not too old to still play? probably his last tournament, or not?
    Probably his last Euros, although the guy is insanely fit so who knows how long he will keep on going. The only way he's not making next year's World Cup is if he's injured or Portugal somehow don't qualify.

Sounds a bit like you are talking about the american football. There's been some nasty injuries in football like
    Your spoiler link does not work. But yes, I am talking about American football among other codes such as Rugby football (both union and league, which are quite different sports) and Australian rules football (the oldest one in the bunch). There are injuries in all kinds of football, association football included, but there is only one code in which feigning injury is a viable tactic for gaining advantage for one's team.

There is no honest juxtaposing of theatrics versus injuries. Eliminating theatrics in association football is not going to increase injuries in that sport. Likewise, introducing theatrics will not decrease the number of injuries in codes that do not have that despicable culture.

Ah right stupid link, but it was a broken leg, like in half, and that was a "soccer" player. Sure best for all games to be fair, but im not very knowledgable in sports so not sure about all those rules.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric
    I support his suggestion, although the main problem with football is not unsportsmanlike behaviour but rather corruption and too much money.
    Corruption for sure, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by lollsuck
    Probably his last Euros, although the guy is insanely fit so who knows how long he will keep on going. The only way he's not making next year's World Cup is if he's injured or Portugal somehow don't qualify.
    I just checked he is 36 now, so that would be something for him to play still at 40 but who knows.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; June 24, 2021 at 03:55 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I just checked he is 36 now, so that would be something for him to play still at 40 but who knows.
    Zlatan is 39 and he would have been at this tournament if not for an injury, someone as obsessed as Ronaldo could probably keep going for 3 more years as well (next Euros are in 2024).

Blog Entries

France looks like the best team on paper, with Italy not having lost in over 30 games, England being the perpetual meme, Germany yes and no - this could go any way, which is excellent
    and Peaman

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I see an Italy/France - Netherlands final. England is a meme and will get knocked out, though not by Germany. Germany is the weakest it's been since 2006. Ditto Spain. Portugal might make it though with some luck but who knows.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

What's happened to the once great football thread ? Demoted like a Midlands football club . How are we going to talk about the greatness that is Everton football club if it's buried on page 2 of the Thelma Davis ?
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Thelma Davis is my ex wife

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    What's happened to the once great football thread ? Demoted like a Midlands football club . How are we going to talk about the greatness that is Everton football club if it's buried on page 2 of the Thelma Davis ?
    Not sure when being managed by a Newcastle outcast made someone great
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Not sure when being managed by a Newcastle outcast made someone great
    I'm not sure by your tone you know that Evertonians by nature are sarcastic ( or delusional ) about our place in the footballing world .
    We are a club with money who can't spend due to FFP and shouldn't be trusted to either as we end up with players like Siggurdson or Iwobi .
    True fans aren't exactly thrilled about having a RS manager who bottled it in China . We do admire him for ditching the barcodes though . That's a state of affairs I wouldn't wish on any manager , not even an ex Red .
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast