Thread: What determines the order of these settings?

Default What determines the order of these settings?

This may sound like some OCD sympton to some, but I feel like things such as faction turn order and religion icon display order should follow some sort of logic, rather than be completely scrambled and random. For example, I think the game feels more aesthetically harmonic if the turn order follows certain geographic and cultural criteria (i.e. all European Catholic factions first, then all European Orthodox factions, then all Muslim factions, and so on, and within these groups the strongest/most influential first and the least last).

I'm sure some people will think this concern is silly while others will think it's legitimate.

Now the matter is, I have been able to arrange things in the order I want for some elements of the game, such as the order in which factions are displayed on the faction-selection menu, but there are other places where I'm still looking and without success.

Being more straightforward, how do I determine the order in which factions play their turns on the campaign? I have tried changing their order both in descr_sm_factions and in descr_strat. As far as I have been able to attest, both attempts have been unsuccessful.

Also how do I change the order in which religions are presented on the settlement-details scroll? I'm playing a mod that features several religions, so I would rather arrange them in a more or less logical order.

I'm sure there are more things I wanted to change the order of. I'll bring them up if I remember.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: What determines the order of these settings?

faction turn order = player first then factions in the order of faction's entry in descr_strat (the settlement\character section NOT the top list). If you re-arrange it please keep in mind to leave slaves always last as quite a few scripts depend on that position for the faction.

religion = could be the order as in descr_religions

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    faction turn order = player first then factions in the order of faction's entry in descr_strat (the settlement\character section NOT the top list). If you re-arrange it please keep in mind to leave slaves always last as quite a few scripts depend on that position for the faction.

religion = could be the order as in descr_religions
    Oh, thanks. I hadn't tried changing the order of the entries, only in the top list.

As for the religions, I could swear I did try switching the order in descr_religions to no avail.

Update: I don't know how odd that will sound to you, but rearranging the order of the entries in descr_strat only gave me a quasi-perfect result. All factions now have their turns in the order I put them, except one, namely the first of the list. While all the others follow the right order, this one is randomly placed around the middle of the sequence for some reason. Any thoughts on this? I could vaguely assume that this is because my faction, as the player, has taken its place as the first of the list.
    Last edited by es157; June 16, 2021 at 09:24 AM.

The factions you pick to play as are moved to the top of turn order and the faction that otherwise would have been at the top based on the order in DS take the selected factions' places lower in the order. In single player, we're obviously only moving a single faction, so if the order was: A, B, C, D in descr_strat, and you play as faction C, then the in game turn order will be: C, B, A, D.

The order of religions in the settlement details scroll is the order in descr_religions from the bottom up (opposite of DS faction order). You need to rebuild map.rwm if you change the order of religions in descr_religion or your regions will use the wrong religions.