Thread: Princess strat model

Default Princess strat model

I know this question may sound stupid on the surface, but it left me intrigued all the same.

As everyone knows, there are some princesses who wear those pointy party heats on the campaign map and those who don't. So far, so good.

In the mod I'm playing (not sure if this is also true for vanilla), the byzantium faction's princesses do not wear hats. However, when I tried to give the byzantium princess' strat model to a general (because this general is supposed to be female, so why not), the general appeared on the campaign map with a hat. I even bothered to put the general side by side with a princess from the same faction to compare their looks, and they look exactly the same except for the pointy hat that one has and the other doesn't.

So the stupid question is, what determines whether or not a princess model will wear a hat, and how do I remove it in case I don't want my general to be wearing one?

Default Re: Princess strat model

Are you using the same entry in descr_model_strat in two places (for byzantium's named character and princess) in descr_character? If so, the models should be exactly the same in game. The animations set for the princess probably won't work correctly for the named character though - the game will get hung when the named character attempts to perform an action for which the princess skeleton has no corresponding animation. If you do this then the two characters should be identical on the strat map and it will be really bizarre if they're not.

If you made two separate entries in descr_model_strat, you need to be sure they both use the same model and texture for byzantium. The entry used for the named character should have the strat_named_with_army (or equivalent for your particular mod) animation set but that should be the only difference. If you do this, then the two characters should be identical on the strat map and the only reason they wouldn't be is if the hat is rigged to a bone that doesn't exist for the named character animation set or is in a different place on the skeleton. In all likelihood, the hat is simply rigged to the head bone and the head bone in the princess skeleton has the same place in the hierarchy as the head bone in the named character skeleton, so the two models should appear identical - but I can't speak to your particular mod, it may be using custom strat skeletons for one or both of these agent types.

After repeated experimentation, I dropped the idea because it was really lazy to use a princess model for a female general. It was really just an odd thing that I found and my first thought was sharing, but in all likelihood you are right - maybe I was linking the general model to the wrong princess or something like that.

Yeah, one thing that discouraged me was seeing that the princess would not perform any of the visual actions a general does. She doesn't even hold the faction banner up. Overall, not a bright idea

You can change the skeleton (animation set) used by the princess model and it will have animations like a named character. But yes, this is definitely a stopgap until you have a better female general model. If you have a good battle model for said female general, you can convert it to strat.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

How to implement multiple models for the same faction's character: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=513092