Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What favorite movie would be a romantic deal breaker to you?

Default Re: What favorite movie would be a romantic deal breaker to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    You have a solid point, but this was not meant as a dead-serious question. Then again, you can tell quite a lot from a person if they like something truly defective above all else.
    They're answering this crap seriously.

"I don't want to date a person who likes the movie Ten Commandments."

So sad. That was literally the masterpiece.

"I don't want to date a person who likes the movie Red Dawn."

And I'm just assuming 1980's. Do we just just assume they have a problem with Patrick Swayze? Give me a some sort of answer?

Every person but the Hobbits and Twilight Saga has named a masterpiece genre. Is there a reason I have to be like, non-like, or shrug for any of this crap? Keep in mind this is not just like. The OP is asking about FAVORITE. Do you care that damn that much? IS THREE HOURS OF YOUR LIFE GOING TO BREAK A ROMANCE?
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

SoggyFrog's Avatar Sort of a Protest Frog

The title is silly but the OP is pretty clear that this is just about red flags on a first date. No mainstream movie should be a red flag, maybee something with extremely crass humour or that has no qualities apart from promoting some ideology diametrically opposed to my own beliefs, like a bad Ayn Rand adaptation.
    House of Frood

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyFrog View Post
    The title is silly but the OP is pretty clear that this is just about red flags on a first date. No mainstream movie should be a red flag, maybee something with extremely crass humour or that has no qualities apart from promoting some ideology diametrically opposed to my own beliefs, like a bad Ayn Rand adaptation.
    You don't exactly get "favorites" from first dates. You might get "genres" but at most, "eh I like this and I watch this". Dates are a bit more complex that....that.

If Dumb and Dumber is a red flag than the person who thinks Dumb and Dumber is a red flag is a red flag
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 23, 2021 at 11:35 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

SoggyFrog's Avatar Sort of a Protest Frog

You're taking the answers to this crap too seriously now. OP gave a contrived scenario, you can either play along and share something you probably wouldn't like in a romantic partner, or move along.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyFrog View Post
    You're taking the answers to this crap too seriously now.
    Ask Morticia if she's cutting off Charlton Heston fans any time soon.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 24, 2021 at 12:44 AM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Now that is questionable. If the follow up questions showed a somebody who loved Saint Ronny - yes. But I think a person who liked it as in maybe that if the G Bush Jr admin should have viewed it as a cautionary tale about your short victorious war.... well than maybe I could run through some more choices for a good or bad decision. On the one hand it was Team B propaganda(*) (that some how a failing USSR was in fact winning everywhere and economically) produced by Hollywood. But more realistically its also a story of what happens when you think you are holding all the trump cards and act on your most rose colored assumptions and walk into a war not worth fighting. Although I agree I want a reason where they explain how the US excepts a limited first strike without at least an equivalent limited retaliatory nuclear strike. At least one Russian soldier should have commented my family was in Leningrad for example. Otherwise the war would have ramped up to SIOP levels in what the games always show about 3 weeks.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_B#Criticism

How do you mean musicals. How can you not like Singing in the Rain or A funny thing happened on the way to Forum
    Oh i didn't saw, that you elaborate that post further. Sorry.

For me it was too much Team B propaganda movie. The Soviets and Cubans were to wooden stereotypical.

But if the date would see the meta level like you, that could probably an interesting man, as he can think around the corner.

But Patrick Swayze had made better movies (in fact that ing Dirty Dancing was his personal curse like Footlose for Travolta).

For example Point Break.

I like musicals like West Side Story or Rocky Horror Picture Show. My Fair Lady is sweet.

But i hate, wholeheartly hate dancing movies like Dirty Dancing or Footloose. They are shallow, the plotting is the entire movie very obvious.

Its a movie, from which men think, with this they can easily win a women's heart. Try harder boys.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 24, 2021 at 10:21 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Ask Morticia if she's cutting off Charlton Heston fans any time soon.
    If you imagine yourself going on a first date and asking what the other person's favorite movie was (not suggesting that it is a good question to ask), are there any answer(s) that you would interpret as a sign that this relationship could not work in the long run? ...
    Personally i like Charlton Heston movies like The Omega Man or Planet of the Apes (1968, he's fantastic in the final scene) or Soylent Green. Or Gray Lady Down because thrilling!

But he's wooden in The 10 Commandments.

And Bible movies are religious propaganda movies for me.

On the one side the good pious jews/christians, on the other side the evil, rotten pagans, while the spreading of the christian message was more with force than with good deeds.

And unbelievable i have read the whole bible from the beginning to the end.

I knew: thats not my faith.

So if a guy says on a first date: The 10 Commandments and on a "Why?" "Because i'm a staunch and firm christian believer" its sad but true, he is the wrong.

I don't want a church marriage (and i have had only a civil marriage), i don't want christian indoctrinated children. They should choose by themself, if they are old enough. And in my life experience thats with firm christian believers not possible.

If his answer would be "I like Charles Hestons acting" i would think "Is there a uncut version i haven't seen?" and he's only a christian by tradition or a doubting, on science grounded christian, maybe see, what is happening (but the church marriage is the red flag!!!).

Are there any answers (movies, genres) that you would find particularly pleasing in a potential romantic interest?
    Bram Stoker's Dracula would be a big stone in my playing field. I like that movie. Obviously this date has the same feelings, taste and interests.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I like musicals like West Side Story or Rocky Horror Picture Show. My Fair Lady is sweet.

But i hate, wholeheartly hate dancing movies like Dirty Dancing or Footloose. They are shallow, the plotting is the entire movie very obvious.

Its a movie, from which men think, with this they can easily win a women's heart. Try harder boys.
    I can agree with that distinction. Dirty Dancing and Footloose are defiantly two moves I'm not sorry to have never re watched. Pretty sure I never even got through Dirty Dancing on cable.

Personally i like Charlton Heston movies like The Omega Man or Planet of the Apes (1968, he's fantastic in the final scene) or Soylent Green. Or Gray Lady Down because thrilling!
    I think the point is important to differentiate a persons public politics at any one time from their work as an actor. I don't have one iota of knowing the politics of my go to tree, driveway, lawn, irrigation system guy are. And I'm not going to ask because he shows up when he says is going to and gets the job done and takes care to notice problems I might have missed. If Heston can deliver a good movie as actor that what paying to see. Don't need to care a bit what his political views are unless they go absoultly odious. I mean on some level I sad that he is an NRA guy but I really don't run my life by saying I like Soylent Green thus I should care what his gun ownership views are.

Bram Stoker's Dracula would be a big stone in my playing field. I like that movie. Obviously this date has the same feelings, taste and interests.
    Interesting but I would demand a discussion of all the major adaptions to film particularly Count Yorga while a b Movie the brides of 'Dracula' choose they win and don't need male saving or 'Dracula'.
    Last edited by conon394; June 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I generally hate musicals where the musical numbers are actually part of the plot. So basically all of them.

But I also like the plot details of some musicals. I recently saw Into the Heights and I really liked the story but just did not care for the musical numbers.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I can separate in most cases the actor from his political activities like Heston for his good acting, even if i didn't liked his NRA activity.

I like also John Wayne especially in "The Shootist", although i dispise his right wing views.

Even Gerard Depardieu for his Cyrano de Bergerac, although he is a very distasting molester of women now.

So yes, you should always separate actor from his public view.

I don't know this 70 movie, but in general Dracula adaptions take their artistic freedom from Bram Stokers Book.

But what i in Coppola's Dracula like is that he took some fragments of the book and made a fitting story playing in the Victorian Age of it. The loss of his love, which created the monster, while reincarnation of his wife bring him finally peace again. And that in movie full of powerfull pictures. The hidden erotic, which was always seen in the blood sucking vampire theme, now staged in strong scenes... But i stray. The movies are also good mirrors of their time, while in the earlier movies Dracula's brides were willingless puppets, they are in modern movies more or less independent monsters with their own agenda.

Look at at women in movies in 50's ad today. Night and Day.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 27, 2021 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    If you imagine yourself going on a first date and asking what the other person's favorite movie was (not suggesting that it is a good question to ask), are there any answer(s) that you would interpret as a sign that this relationship could not work in the long run? Are there any answers (movies, genres) that you would find particularly pleasing in a potential romantic interest?

I need to give it some thought before I answer myself.
    The Last Jedi. If she likes that crap, she is no doubt a SJW which I will have nothing in common. Thelma and Louise is a second.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    The Last Jedi. If she likes that crap, she is no doubt a SJW which I will have nothing in common. Thelma and Louise is a second.
    "The Last Jedi. If she likes that crap, she is no doubt a SJW " OK err you are that star wars fan base but what do you have against Thelma and Louise?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Well i like Thelma & Louise. Women, who run finally away from their despotic husbands and shot their rapists, finally no victims anymore, wonderful.

Oh, and i forget:

Monster
    Dead Man Walking

Those two would be for me also very pleasing answers, as my date like controversial, critical thinking requiring movies - potential for interesting discussions.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; July 03, 2021 at 07:31 PM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Were my hypothetical (!) date to disagree with me that a phantom menace is the greatest movie of all time, I'd stand up and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Look at at women in movies in 50's ad today. Night and Day.^^
    It is night and day, and not in a good way. With a few exceptions, of course.

Lots of great women in the 50s, and the 40s. And in the noir genre in specific. Lauren Bacall being on of my favorite actress, or Ingrid Bergman. Not once i thought lesser of them, and how they were depicted quite the contrary actually.

More recent depiction of women tend to be very "tropy", uninspiring, lacking in nuance and frankly at times quite unattractive, as is their male counterparts on scene, often depicted as incompetent, buffoonish, foolish and at times pathetic, just so the female counterpart can be elevated as an iconic paradigm of strength and empowerment. At least when we are talking Hollywood trends, and it is so by design.

The male bashing it is a current trope and not so modern either, that is getting very old , and i do feel is doing more harm then good from a social point of view. But i digress.

I wouldn't ever reduce someone i was dating to a moral judgment call based on movies, even bad ones.

But playing the game as it is i would say the deal breaker was if that person thinks the film cuck is a masterpiece, or the upcoming karen movie, or that horrible I love Berlin movie.
    Or someone who like cuties....

I would just say no, and ill be on my own way.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 08, 2021 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Prepare yourself. In another 20 years the Sequel Trilogy will actually be good.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

If a grown woman mentioned something like Frozen as her favorite film, I'd smile nervously and seek to end the date as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Michael Bay Movies (more or less any).
    I also strongly dislike Michael Bay, but aren't you forgetting that he did The Rock (1996) with Sean Connery, Ed Harris and Nick Cage?
    Say what you want about all his other films, but this one us universally praised by critics, and for good reason. The positive consensus is a rare deserved one for Bay. The movie is certainly cheesy in parts, with lots of gratuitous explosions, but this is hardly enough to detract from the better aspects of the film. It is also long before those cheesy aspects became even more hyperbolic and signature elements of his later films.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    If a grown woman mentioned something like Frozen as her favorite film, I'd smile nervously and seek to end the date as quickly as possible.

I also strongly dislike Michael Bay, but aren't you forgetting that he did The Rock (1996) with Sean Connery, Ed Harris and Nick Cage?
    Say what you want about all his other films, but this one us universally praised by critics, and for good reason. The positive consensus is a rare deserved one for Bay. The movie is certainly cheesy in parts, with lots of gratuitous explosions, but this is hardly enough to detract from the better aspects of the film. It is also long before those cheesy aspects became even more hyperbolic and signature elements of his later films.
    A wise move, if you don't want to end in a pink Hello Kitty Hell. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    The Rock was good, but I'm not sure it was favorite worthy. Not even in the action genre. Though I did enjoy The Island if I had to pick a Michael Bay movie that's actually better than people give it credit for. The thing actually had a story. Which was so unlike Michael Bay at that point in his career people forget it even exists...
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    A wise move, if you don't want to end in a pink Hello Kitty Hell. ^^
    Sounds like one of those specific levels of Hell in Dante's Inferno, alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The Rock was good, but I'm not sure it was favorite worthy. Not even in the action genre. Though I did enjoy The Island if I had to pick a Michael Bay movie that's actually better than people give it credit for. The thing actually had a story. Which was so unlike Michael Bay at that point in his career people forget it even exists...
    I never got around to seeing that one, and you know what? You convinced me to watch it. See, I'm open-minded, even when it comes to the infamous Bay man himself. That's a good quality in a date, a sign of maturity, a healthy attitude and at the very least someone who possesses mental stability.

If a woman said her favorite films were Bay's Transformers I would think she's rather simple minded in her cinematic tastes, but it certainly wouldn't be some red flag for anything worse than that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast