Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What favorite movie would be a romantic deal breaker to you?

Default What favorite movie would be a romantic deal breaker to you?

If you imagine yourself going on a first date and asking what the other person's favorite movie was (not suggesting that it is a good question to ask), are there any answer(s) that you would interpret as a sign that this relationship could not work in the long run? Are there any answers (movies, genres) that you would find particularly pleasing in a potential romantic interest?

I need to give it some thought before I answer myself.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What favorite movie would be a romantic deal breaker to you?

I'd be pretty pissed if their favorite movie was any of the Hobbits.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quick though I may reconsider just winding down from a day Air flight and delayed flights...

Dumb and Dumber - waste of two decent actors.
    Gone with the Wind (or worse Birth of a Nation)
    Any Rambo Movie after the First one
    Michael Bay Movies (more or less any).

@Akar I could take the first PJ movie movie (Fellowship) but after I agree. Now Rankin and Bass, that I could deal with since I would suppose they like B and camp movies that are always fun kill brain cells with.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

- Bible movies
    - "US army rescues the world, wave the flag, join the forces now" advertisement movies like Independence Day (especially the President speech before the final attack)
    - "patriotic" US war and western movies of the 50/60s (Indians primitive wilds, cowboys good christian people, communism evil evil evil)
    - Rambo II + III, all Chuck Norris Missing in Action movies, Red Dawn
    -dancing movies soooooo boring
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

@Akar I could take the first PJ movie movie (Fellowship) but after I agree. Now Rankin and Bass, that I could deal with since I would suppose they like B and camp movies that are always fun kill brain cells with.
    Hold on, pal, I didn't include ANY of the LOTR movies when I said "The Hobbits". If they love Fellowship, Twin Towers, Return of the King, that's fine.

Hell, even the Rankin and Bass is okay with me.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

LotR comic movie (1978) is a no go.^^

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Red Dawn
    Now that is questionable. If the follow up questions showed a somebody who loved Saint Ronny - yes. But I think a person who liked it as in maybe that if the G Bush Jr admin should have viewed it as a cautionary tale about your short victorious war.... well than maybe I could run through some more choices for a good or bad decision. On the one hand it was Team B propaganda(*) (that some how a failing USSR was in fact winning everywhere and economically) produced by Hollywood. But more realistically its also a story of what happens when you think you are holding all the trump cards and act on your most rose colored assumptions and walk into a war not worth fighting. Although I agree I want a reason where they explain how the US excepts a limited first strike without at least an equivalent limited retaliatory nuclear strike. At least one Russian soldier should have commented my family was in Leningrad for example. Otherwise the war would have ramped up to SIOP levels in what the games always show about 3 weeks.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_B#Criticism

-dancing movies soooooo boring
    How do you mean musicals. How can you not like Singing in the Rain or A funny thing happened on the way to Forum
    Last edited by conon394; June 17, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

A Saint Ronny believer... defintely noooo.^^

I hope that was clear saint Ronny lover was a yes that was deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I hope that was clear saint Ronny lover was a yes that was deal breaker.
    I would have been surprised, if it would have been different.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Michael Bay Movies (more or less any).
    The Rock is a classic and I will fight you on this.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Anything with Jennifer Lopez or that awful Ghost Busters reboot
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

The Rock is a classic and I will fight you on this.
    How bout just a a drinking match no need for violence. I know the Rock is often considered quite good and its been a ton of years since I've seen it. I has a nice set of good actors but as I recall something early in the movie plot wise really bugged and kinda ruined the experience for me. Can say what anymore. But how about I alter it to Roland Emmerich films?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Is it the scene in the showers?

And no, I enjoy Emmerich movies for what they are. Midway notwithstanding...

Also I don't drink. Mildly allergic to alcohol. Made college a bit boring but overall good for my health.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Is it the scene in the showers?
    Don't think so I a rabbit hole kinda person and even a tiny plot point I don't like that I grab onto can annoy me - annoys my wife as well when I insist on going on about. Like I said I really can't recall now - how about this I promise to find It on some steaming service or what not and give it a second chance and report back say within a few weeks?

And no, I enjoy Emmerich movies for what they are. Midway notwithstanding...
    So my wife tells me the same she is a scientist and likes them as background when she is deep diving into data. I believe her words are usually you are just being a snob sometimes all you need something you can look up at for a few minutes and let you relax without thinking much or worrying about some uber deep plot twist you missed.

Also I don't drink. Mildly allergic to alcohol. Made college a bit boring but overall good for my health.
    I am deeply sorry for you. How about Chess or Pinochle? I will admit just luck of the draw really I can hold my alcohol easy but I do not drink to be drunk. College I found when say dragged off to a frat party was rather a horror show of people drinking to excess and not really knowing their limits with all kinds of poor results (word of advice never ever let somebody hand you a drink at one particularly if you are female but the group will turn on a drunk male just as quick not date rape but have the joy coming too in your own vomit and covered in say sharpie or being nude on the lawn). You did not miss much.
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2021 at 08:59 AM.

Any of the Twilight Saga movies.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Any of the Twilight Saga movies.

Oh no, why do you hate sparkling vampires so?^^

But i would put that films on my list too.

If a potential 3 hours is a deal breaker for you guys I wouldn't want to spend a lifetime with any of you.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I'd be pretty pissed if their favorite movie was any of the Hobbits.
    Dumb and Dumber - waste of two decent actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Hold on, pal, I didn't include ANY of the LOTR movies when I said "The Hobbits". If they love Fellowship, Twin Towers, Return of the King, that's fine.
    I have to admit that those two were the very first things I thought of. Dumb and Dumber does not merit much commentary besides what Conon said, but the Hobbit stuff was a huge disappointment after LOTR. I mean, how could they fail so miserably? I don't think I ever saw the last installment, though, because it was such a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    If a potential 3 hours is a deal breaker for you guys I wouldn't want to spend a lifetime with any of you.
    You have a solid point, but this was not meant as a dead-serious question. Then again, you can tell quite a lot from a person if they like something truly defective above all else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast