Thread: Why (IMO) Glass Onion's plot is lazy and failed (Warning: OP contains spoilers)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Why (IMO) Glass Onion's plot is lazy and failed (Warning: OP contains spoilers)

Glass Onion is likely worth watching even for the flamboyant style (and Dave Bautista, he makes everything better ^^), but I did have issues with the plot:

1. The billionaire sends invitations to his friends, to go spend some time with him in his private island. But he has already murdered one of the group, and this bit of news would have circulated before they reached the island - if it wasn't for the sister of the murdered person asking the detective to contain the information from leaking. Now, the billionaire couldn't possibly know this would happen, so his friends would have already learned of the murder before reaching the island=> no one would want to spend time in a remote island with a murderer.
    2. The reveal rests on very forced (and repeated) statements about how both the billionaire is "an idiot" and the group of his friends are "s..heads". This seems to be a way to excuse the glaring lack of logic with the main premise of the film (reaching the island) mentioned above. But it is lazy writing: "those people are cretins, and this is why no one thought of why all this wouldn't work out=> for them it might have worked out". One of the group is a (supposedly good) chemist, but I suppose even he is braindead so np ^^
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why (IMO) Glass Onion's plot is lazy and failed (Warning: OP contains spoilers)

on point 2: this is the logic on which every 90's horror movie is based on, actually

But I concur, it's probably not very fitting for the kind of scripts we are used to in 2020's
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Why (IMO) Glass Onion's plot is lazy and failed (Warning: OP contains spoilers)

Still a entertaining comedy crime movie ala Agatha Christie. And the sycophants of the billionaire are completely dependent of his monetary favors and good will + they are completely spineless + only one person has seen the billionaire at the crime scene of the first murder. Everybody is suspecting someone else. So not really illogical for me.

At least not more illogical as the plot of Indiana Jones I.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 09, 2023 at 08:41 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

At least not more illogical as the plot of Indiana Jones I
    OT The funny part is all Indy really achieves its keeping Marion from being tortured. Otherwise the Ark saved itself and always could have. What's more illogical is that since Indy II happens earlier and Indy has a clear real run in with the supernatural that he could than scoff at the Arc's potential powers. Not sure if that makes the first more illogical or the second for not having a clear it was smoke and mirrors plot line such that the characters cynicism/disbelief remains intact
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Otherwise the Ark saved itself and always could have.
    Thats why the plot of this Big Bang episode with Amy is such ingenious.

Btw, Carolyn Jones=best Morticia
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

She is. After the finale of the series, she took "her" chair home and never sold it till she died. She was Morticia.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

two entertaining hours in a film aimed at the general public (sorry for the snobbery) is already quite an achievement in my opinion. none of its possible failures spoiled "the experience" for me.

On another note, Hugh Grant seems to now be 7 trillion years old

Return of the Tomb King

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    two entertaining hours in a film aimed at the general public (sorry for the snobbery) is already quite an achievement in my opinion. none of its possible failures spoiled "the experience" for me.
    what are you referencing above?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    what are you referencing above?
    I can't think of many blockbuster movies that I found really entertaining and didn't have any embarrassing aspects to me. for example, i enjoyed top gun maverick, but i found many scenes/aspects somewhat embarrassing, and this has not happened to me with glass onion. I would have to check recent blockbusters to find a movie with the same balance between success/dedicated to the general public and quality. Edit: the last of James Bond also, maybe. And The Northman and Prey (I've been watching in my movie diary/letterboxd). And Dune. (and I'm going to stop going through the diary)
    Last edited by mishkin; January 09, 2023 at 01:34 PM.

It is a pleasant film, I said so in my opening sentence
    That doesn't change that (imo) when compared to many other "who did it" films, its plot is rather poor and has very notable gaps in logic.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

One of the group is a (supposedly good) chemist, but I suppose even he is braindead so np ^^
    He is shown numerous times telling Miles that it isn't ready and that he needs more time. The character's entire introduction shows that he is the whole brains behind the inventions.

and this bit of news would have circulated before they reached the island
    How?

asking the detective to contain the information from leaking.
    She didn't ask, it was his idea. He wasn't the detective, he is a prestigious and world renowned private detective who used personal favors and contacts to slow the investigation. Despite his efforts the information did leak before they intended it to anyway.

Now, the billionaire couldn't possibly know this would happen, so his friends would have already learned of the murder before reaching the island=> no one would want to spend time in a remote island with a murderer.
    How would he possibly have known that this would happen? Do you think anyone with money is a hyper-genius with omniscience or contacts everywhere? For all he knew they just didn't find the body for a few days which happens literally all the time.

This seems to be a way to excuse the glaring lack of logic with the main premise of the film (reaching the island) mentioned above.
    There's no glaring logic in them reaching the island at all.

"those people are cretins, and this is why no one thought of why all this wouldn't work out=> for them it might have worked out".
    More so that everyone is distracted by their own and problems that they don't notice what's right under their noses. Everything that happens is in plain sight the entire movie.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    It is a pleasant film, I said so in my opening sentence
    That doesn't change that (imo) when compared to many other "who did it" films, its plot is rather poor and has very notable gaps in logic.
    If you have to compare this movie with others or judge it based on what genre it belongs to, maybe we should frame it in the genre of SPOILER
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    revenge movies, and point out that the real protagonist is janelle monae

^It certainly has less 1D characters than dreadful Tarantino's films ^^
    @Akar: you misread the post - I didn't claim the billionaire should know - obviously he cannot. The gap is that while not knowing it would take longer for the alert about the murder to reach (eg Duke) the others, he still invited them to his island.