Thread: LINGUA MATERNA - Native voices for Retrofit and Kingdoms 1.0

Default LINGUA MATERNA - Native voices for Retrofit and Kingdoms 1.0

Decided to share my modded version of HaHawk's Native Voices mod.

The reason I made this is because there was some bugs like missing subtitles for Spanish and Moorish pre battle speeches, the Danish not being designed for the German voice set and not being able to use it with the disc version of the Gold Edition. I also made it work with Retrofit and the Kingdoms Campaigns. In addition I decided to reuse some of the old accented English voice sets as it was weird to hear the Danish praise the Kaiser all the time. For full details check the readme below.
    Big props to HaHawk for his work and sorry for miscrediting you as Hawkes in the readme.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.moddb.com/games/medieval...nd-kingdoms-10

Readme
    ============================================================
    = LINGUA MATERNA - Native Voices for Retrofit and Kingdoms =
    ============================================================
    By DogeTeodoro

=========
    = About =
    =========
    LINGUA MATERNA aims to make the Medieval II Total War experience more fun and immersive by adding native voices to the game. This mod is based on the work of Hawkes Native Voices mod but has been adjusted to work with Retrofit and Kingdoms.

The other main differences are the additions of:
    - Native voice set from the Americas Campaign, now used for the Aztecs in the Grand Campaign.
    - Nordic voice set for the Danes and Norwegians, which is the original Eastern European accented English voice set with slight modifications to remove any Russian words.
    - Greek voice set used by the Byzantines, which is the original Mediterranean accented English voice set.

In addition, the missing pre battle speech subtitles have been added for the Spanish and Moorish accents, and for the new Native, Nordic and Greek accents as well.

The faction voice sets are as following:
    - English: England, Wales and The Kingdom of Jerusalem.
    - Scottish: Scotland and Ireland
    - French: France and The Kingdom of Antioch.
    - German: The Holy Roman Empire and The Teutonic Order.
    - Mediterranean (Italian): Milan, Venice, Sicily, Papal States.
    - East European (Russian): Russia, Poland, Hungary, Lithuania and Novgorod.
    - Arabic (Arabic accented English): Turks and Egypt.
    - Mongolian (Central Asia accented English): Mongols and Timurids.
    - Spanish: Spain and Portugal.
    - Moorish (Arabic accented Spanish): Moors.
    - Native (Native American accented English): Aztecs, Mayans, Chichimeca, Tlaxcalans, Tarascans and Apacheans.
    - Nordic (Mix of Russian/Scandinavian accented English): Denmark, Norway and the Kalmar Union.
    - Greek (Mix of Italian/Spanish/Greek accented English): Byzantium.

The voice sets apply to rebels and mercenary units as well.

=========
    = Notes =
    =========
    --- Compatibility with other mods ---
    It should work for other mods than Retrofit, but you'll have to regenerate the event.dat/.idx and strings.bin files to fully support them if they add new factions, units or sounds. The sound source text files used to generate the sound event and strings files are included in the src folder in case you want to do so. Merge the sound source text files with the mod's version and then delete the event.dat/.idx and strings.bin files of the mod and have the game regenerate them.

The files that need merging are:
    - data/battle_event_subtitles_lookup.txt
    - data/descr_sounds_accents.txt
    - data/descr_sounds_units_confirm.txt
    - data/export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
    - data/export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt
    - data/export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt
    - data/export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
    - data/export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt
    - data/prebattle_speeches_subtitles_lookup.txt
    - data/text/battle_event_subtitles.txt
    - data/text/diplomacy.txt
    - data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt
    - data/text/prebattle_speeches_subtitles.txt

All other sound source files except for descr_sounds_generic.txt, which is used to fix the missing boiling oil sound in Retrofit, are vanilla files and you can just use the mod's files instead.
    If the mod doesn't modify a sound source file, use the vanilla sound source files and if your mod doesn't come with the sound source files, you'll have to ask the mod author for them or any new sounds added by the mods will become broken. The sound source files can be safely removed after the event.dat/.idx and strings.bin files have been generated by the game.

--- Other ---
    Only tested with the disc version of the Gold Edition, but should probably work with digital download versions.
    According to the PCGW, the Polish and Hungarian versions have localized voice sets, if this is true and anyone has these versions, please contact me and I'll implement them!

================
    = Installation =
    ================
    - Make sure Kingdoms and Retrofit are installed.
    - Backup the original files in case you wish to uninstall.
    - Extract the data and mods folders to your Medieval II: Total War root directory. Example: "D:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War".
    - Start Retrofit and the Kingdoms campaigns via the included .bat files.

=============
    = Changelog =
    =============
    Version 1.0
    - Added native voices for the existing faction accents: French, German, Mediterranean, East European.
    - Added the following new faction accents: Spanish, Moorish, Native, Nordic, Greek.
    - Fixed the missing boiling oil sound effect in Retrofit.
    - Corrected the subtitles for a pre battle speech that didn't match the voice lines.

===========
    = Credits =
    ===========
    - Hawkes for the Native Voice mod used as a base for this one.
    - Unspoken Knight for creating Retrofit.
    - Creative Assembly for creating the localized voice sets.

Default Re: LINGUA MATERNA - Native voices for Retrofit and Kingdoms 1.0

Hey there Doge, had the same idea way back to start my own expanded native language voices mod. But this time my mod filled the Nordic, Arabic and Turkic voices from the voice lines of ETW. Currently working on the polish ones until I tumbled upon your post. I find the native language mod quite immersive in playing, and I'm glad that some within the community are sharing my same enthusiasm with game immersion. So far the only problems that I have is the Byzantine voices (Greek), that's why I'm scouring the net for any games that features a localized Greek voice over. If you're interested with working together, just PM me or reply within the thread.

I believe Europa Barbarorum 2 has a Greek voice set you could perhaps use? I didn't use it or ETW voices because they don't fully match the voice sets for Medieval 2, like the agents and pre battle speeches. Anyhow good luck with your voice mod!

hey how can i make it work with stainless steel?

Quote Originally Posted by the_final_cut View Post
    hey how can i make it work with stainless steel?
    It might be a bit late, but I just installed it according to its instructions, and then manually fixed the factions that didn't make sense (i.e. Aragon speaking Italian, Almoravids speaking English, or Norwegians speaking Russian, etc)

If it helps, here are my custom files; there are some units that don't say anything when selected, but I couldn't be bothered to fix every single one of them just for an Almoravid playthrough:

data-f.7z