Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 098 teaser: WONDERS (or unique buildings)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon14 098 teaser: WONDERS (or unique buildings)

Guys,
    Similarly to the other mods (and to vanilla Med2), the SSHIP contains a number of buildings that exist only in one province, provide (usually) various benefits depending on religion, and can often be built (or rebuilt) only by certain factions, in certain circumstances or after certain historicial/game events occur.

In the previous version, 0.97, many wonders got their benefits and conditions for building analyzed and re-coded. In the version 0.98:
    - quite a few new wonders were added.
    - a few existing ones got an overhaul or just their pics retouched.
    - for a few wonders scripts "Great Fire" were coded (by JoC and Belovese). These scripts mean that the player will experience his "wonders" damaged or destroyed by the fire - and a rebuilding effort would be needed. A fire may be light (like 20% damage) or more serious, up to a total destruction of a wonder. Some wonders have various stages and a fire can destroy one or more stages. The likelihood for such an event is very low, and there are cool-off periods: after a fire people get more careful and the next fire is unlikely to happen very soon. A fire will be thus a rare event but the player should experience it some time - perhaps once in 100 years per "wonder".
    - most of the wonders became a pre-requisite for getting certain crowns, instead of a standard cathedral/jama (Marienkirche, Haga Sophia, Basilica di San Marco etc.).
    - scripting of all wonders has been reviewed and further improved (as regards to the conditions, benefits, prices, materials etc.).

What is worth to know is that the Unique Buildings:
    - are usually required for gaining the Crown by your faction leader;
    - boost recruitment pools of the units otherwise available in the settlement (eg from the Barracks); and some provide units by their own virtue;
    - often enable recruitment of a Diplomat (indeed, they are the main sources for a Diplomat at the beginning of the game for most of the factions;
    - often are crucial for keeping the order in the settlement or for providing income for your faction.

Mind that for many wonders pics and descriptions here may be slightly outdated as they're being improved constantly.

A. New wonders

I. Vilnius Castle - added in Kernave, 4 levels, the 3rd will be available after Ostsiedlung, the 4th after Mindaugas (one of Lithuanian reforms) event. There's copious Lithuanian re-fill of the recruitment pools for many units attached to this building (not visible in the panel), it will make Kernave the absolute hub for the faction.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

II. The Great Crane - added in Gdansk, 1 level, available later in the game, provides trade income.

III. Marienkirche
    - added in Kraków, consists of 4 stages, the first can be built only after event Ostsiedlung, and the further ones after certain Poland evolution events. This means that this wonder will become available only later in the game.

IV. Saint Adalbertus - added in Poznań because Gniezno is not in game; it consists of 4 stages, the first and second are already in place in 1132, the 3rd is made available after the Ostsiedlung event and the 4th after the Council of Leczyca (both Poland evolution events).

V. Uppsala Domkyrka - added in Sigtuna; consists of 4 stages; the first can be built by any catholic faction after Sankt Erik event (a Danish evolution event); further after the discovery of the Gothic architecture (ie. the event Notre Dame - when this cathedral is built in France).

VI. Kaiserdom zu Speyer - 4 levels; the 3rd is already built at the beginning of the game. The building may burn down or be destroyed during conquests so the player may still see the other levels in game.

VII. Stephansdom in Vienna - 3 levels; the first can be built only after the Notre Dame event, that signifies the arrival of the Gothic style in architecture. This means this wonder will become available only later in the game.

VIII. Mont Saint Michel - added to Rouen (Normandy); 4 levels; the 1st is built already at the beginning of the game. The upper levels (walls, nave, abbey) can be built only after the Notre Dame event.

IX. Castle Rock - added to Edinburgh; 4 levels; the 1st is obviously present already at the beginning of the game; the two upper will be available only after the feudal modernisation of Dabit (the Scottish evolution event: Davidian Revolution).

X. The Tower of London - it consists of 4 stages of building, the second is already in place in 1132 (the first level is prepared only to be rebuilt it's destroyed in some way: conquest, fire etc.), the fourth one is available only after the Notre Dame event.

XI. Campo dei Miracoli - whopping 9 levels but only some are really needed in one game (depending on the path you take). Initially 3rd level is in place, the next last four levels are available only in Large City, and the last only after Notre Dame event (that may change in the future).

XII. Narikala - in Tbilisi, 4 levels. The last is buildable one only after the Mongols reach Caucasus.

XIII. Zolote Vorota - added in Kiev, 4 levels.

XIV. Petrova Crkva - added in Ras, 5 levels, available at relatively low levels of the settlement, but the last two stages only after Serbian reforms.

B. New multiple wonders in one chain of a building

XXI-XXIV. Four Hanseatic Kontors: Bryggen in Bergen, Stalhof in London, Petershof in Novgorod, kontor in Flanders (historically in Brugge, but here in Ghent) - discussed in another thread. They become available only later in the game.

XXV-XXVII. Three South Italian buildings: Castel del Monte in Bari, Palazzo dei Normanni in Palermo, Machio Angioino in Naples - also discussed in another thread.

XXVIII-XXX. Three Sobors: in Kiev, Novgorod, Pskov - also discussed in another thread (these are top levels of the Rus Monastery (Lavra) regional building).

XXXI-XXXVI. Six Alkazar buildings: in Zaragoza, Granada, Cordoba, Lisbon, Fes, Tunis - also discussed in another thread.
    Currently:

Outdated, but used in ver. 097:

XXVII-XXXVIII. Two Palazzi: in Venice, Milano - also discussed in another thread.

C. Overhauled wonders

XL. Kaaba - the second level (Kaaba Masjid) was added, for both levels new pics were made, benefits adjusted.

XLI. Holy Sepulchre. - it has now three levels to enable it to burn / be destroyed (the fire script added). The new pics were added.
    New version:
    Outdated version:

XLII. Umayyad Mosque - it has now three levels to enable it burn / be destroyed (the fire script added).

XLIII. La Mesquita in Cordoba - the pic of the modern cathedral is replaced by the pic of a Cordoban mosque, three other levels are added, with the relevant pics.

XLIV. Santiago de Compostela - an additional (base) level added, entirely new pics were prepared, benefits rebalanced.

XLV. Notre Dame - it was expanded from 1 level to 7: the pics were crafted for this building, along descriptions and the code in script.

XLVI. Castel Sant' Angelo - added 3 levels so that is has now 4 levels, starting from level 2 (or should it be level 1?). The upper levels are available later in the game (3rd after Concentric Castles event, 4th after Matchlock).

D. Re-coded wonders

L. Aqueduct of Valens - the pics has been slightly overhauled but, more importantly, it replaced the Aqueduct building for Constantinople (ie the city won't have now two similar buildings - what is good for the max number of buildings in this city, and for historicity).

LI. Bait al-Hikma - the pics haver been slightly overhauled but, more importantly, it's become the fourth level in the Education building line. As a result it replaced the Huge University building in Baghdad that means that the city won't have now two similar buildings - what is good for the max number of buildings in this city, and for historicity.

LII. Al Azhar Mosque - the pics has been overhauled but, more importantly, it replaced the Great University building for Cairo (ie the city won't have now two similar buildings - what is good for the max number of buildings in this city, and for historicity).

E. Deleted wonder

DEL. Cathedral of Palermo. - this wonder was totally un-historical as the Cathedral was built much later. It's been replaced by Palazzo dei Normanni that is a building in the Norman Stronghold regional building.

In other computer games there're also wonders, eg. in the Europa Universalis.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 10, 2023 at 07:48 AM.

Default Re: 098 teaser: WONDERS (or unique buildings)

In case you haven't noticed: I keep on improving the wonders step by step. Today La Mezquita got more levels (and I've recoded it so that a hidden resource has been freed up to be used for another aim)..

Looks great and intresting.

One of the ideas I have in my Excel is to add more unique universities. I have slots for 4 more (9 slots in a building chain, the education building will consist of school -> school with library -> university -> great university, that makes 5 slots left, and 1 is already taken by Baghdad. I'm going to add: Bologna, Paris, Cairo (Al-Azhar already exists so it'll be used), Constantinople.
    If you'd have the Medieval pictures (perhaps drawn) of how could they be depicted, this would be useuful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    One of the ideas I have in my Excel is to add more unique universities. I have slots for 4 more (9 slots in a building chain, the education building will consist of school -> school with library -> university -> great university, that makes 5 slots left, and 1 is already taken by Baghdad. I'm going to add: Bologna, Paris, Cairo (Al-Azhar already exists so it'll be used), Constantinople.
    If you'd have the Medieval pictures (perhaps drawn) of how could they be depicted, this would be useuful for me.
    Mmm interesting wonders Jurand, i agree about add these universities, if were possible i would also add Valladolid and Oxford universities... They were important in middle ages, but of course your proposals are very relevant.

Do you plan add also more wonders? For example Rus factions dont have anything, Santa Sophia in Kiev and Novgorod for example, tower of London for english( the tower of London can be an add-on from the building browser "gallows". "Gallows- Prison- Tower of London"

And as proposal for regional buildings or wonders i would also improve the "mercenary barracks", for example in some regions can "specialize", in Wales region can be a Welsh barrack for hire longbowman and welsh units, in Persia the same, for swiss unit also ... "Mercenary barracks- headquarter mercenary barracks- (Regional)Welsh,persian, andalusian barracks.

And for ports/shipbuilders make more unique for example for venetians/byzantines/ scandinavians...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Universities: only 9 buildings possible in a chain, so no more universities. I think those 5 are pretty outstanding, if you go for Valladolid and Oxford, you'd ask for a number of other universities. They should be built as regular universities.

Rus - yes, this is an area where a few wonders should be added, like Golden Gate in Kiev. Tower of London is also an idea, indeed perhaps in relation to the gallows.

Mercenary barracks - I haven't thought much about this building, it's actually a candidate for removal to fulfill the 24-building limit, but we'll see.

Shipbuilding - yes, another part to think.

Another wonder revamped:
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 18, 2021 at 04:02 AM.

As in my country said... Bravooo!!! Oleee!!! It is a pleasure to see the cathedral of Santiago Apóstol improved in the gameplay.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Fantastic stuff!

A new wonder has been added to the SSHIP list:

A new wonder has been added to the SSHIP list:

"Mont-Saint-Michel"

Gotta love the work done with the buildings! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    "Mont-Saint-Michel"
    Hmmmm, is it really closer the langue d'oei (or rather the regional) name than the current one?

Great stuff Jurand! Also is possible add new wonders but as "maximun level" in the building browser???, for example i would like see the Blanquerna Palace for the last level of "town hall" for byzantines, after the imperial palace building and only in Constantinople( in the current game should be available at the beginning of the game in this city),
    https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palacio_de_Blanquerna
    same case for my previous proposal for tower of London(in relation of gallows-prison line building), and also give some unique wonder to russians if is possible because this factions dont have anything...
    but of course i love your work about buildings, it does sship mod more unique and realistic!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

I thought you'd be more interested in something in the Iberian Penninsula ;-)
    Blachernae - I doubt it'd be made for there're already 3 wonders in the City (Hagia Sophia, Aqueduct of Valens, the Hippodrom), and at least one other is planned (the University).
    Tower of London - yes, this is a candidate as there's only one wonder (Stalhof) on the Islands.
    Russia - yes, this is is something that I already have on my hard drive.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 24, 2021 at 08:02 AM.

I thought you'd be more interested in something in the Iberian Penninsula ;-)
    Blachernae - I doubt it'd be made for there're already 3 wonders in the City (Hagia Sophia, Aqueduct of Valens, the Hippodrom), and at least one other is planned (the University).
    Tower of London - yes, this is a candidate as there's only one wonder (Stalhof) on the Islands.
    Russia - yes, this is is something that I already have on my hard drive.
    Hahah about iberian peninsula yes! But also i like see variety in other lands xD, do you plan add more unique things or wonder to iberian peninsula?? Maybe the Real Alcázar de Toledo, https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alc%C3%A1zar_de_Toledo, but i think that current sship is good.

For the rest of answers OK it is good know it more improvements and also for regional buildings as you posted in other threads ( italian trade, jewish neighborhoods, desert qasr, slavemarkets...)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Hmmmm, is it really closer the langue d'oei (or rather the regional) name than the current one?
    You're right, Mont Saint-Miché is (and was) the Norman form.

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    You're right, Mont Saint-Miché is (and was) the Norman form.
    Why not use Old Castilian or Spanish for Cathedral of Santiago? We already have Spanish names iirc like for the "Caballeros Hidalgos". Then English names could be added first thing in the description, if available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post
    Why not use Old Castilian or Spanish for Cathedral of Santiago? We already have Spanish names iirc like for the "Caballeros Hidalgos". Then English names could be added first thing in the description, if available.
    It is a good idea, i can help with spanish and translate text or units, for the cathedral could be "Catedral de Santiago Apóstol o Catedral de Santiago el Mayor"for the church only can add "Iglesia de Santiago Apóstol".

Also for spanish medieval infantry exist the term "peones" in plural
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

How would it be in the Galician used in the Middle Ages?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast