Thread: 2021, mini mods that work together still

Default 2021, mini mods that work together still

Hey all,

As someone who is only now picking up Empire Total War now in 2021, I very much looked forward to trying out the mods. But I knew that picking up a game now over 10 years old and with mods that in some cases stopped being updated over 5 years ago might be an issue.

Thankfully, there are quite a few mature overhaul mods (Darthmod,Imperial Splendour, Imperial Destroyer, Empire Realism, etc.) for complete reworks of the game, with download links preserved here on TWC and modDB.

Yet, I've surprisingly found myself enjoying ETW more by using a mix of mini mods. Given many of the mini mods were last updated years ago, some as far as 2013, though some were a little more recent and only 3 years old .

I thought I'd post a list of the mini mods that I [KNOW work together (because I am running them) in the here and now. None of the mods I list are mine. I am basically posting this to save someone in the future some legwork in finding mini mods that work together.
    I know it took me at least a few hours to scour the forums for mini mods, read what they did, and by trial and error (download, run the game, play turns, play battles, change settings to see if it caused issues, and methodically see what caused CTD, then rinse and repeat) so I hope this spares
    someone some of that!

[CONTENTBOX]
    mods used - (top is first mod put in, bottom is most recent mod in load order) - date installed
    =========================

Shok hates sieges - 6/7/21
    Durango's historical portraits - 6/7/21
    Durango's menu mod - 6/7/21
    Alewyn's weather mod - 6/7/21
    Alwyn's simple navy mod + unlock - 6/7/21
    Alwyn remove rocket and steam ships - 6/7/21
    Alwyn british less predicatable campaign mod - 6/7/21
    ultima four seasons - 6/7/21
    tuc_music pack - 6/7/21
    largerfonts -6/7/21
    tuc_removed_gambionades - 6/8/21
    Bran_BAI_only - 6/8/21
    Bran_ottoman_CAI_ottoman_fix_econ_dev- 6/8/21
    Cool_Ranch's No Intro Video - 6/8/21
    Bavarian Grenadier's Vanilla Units Enhanced, early units -6/8/21
    Bavarian Grenadier's Vanilla Units Enhanced, mid units -6/8/21

Notes:

I installed each mod, ran the game, played some turns. Then added the next.
    One.by.one... it was a bit tedious, but it ensured I could accurately say what broke what.

AUM optional graphics mod conflicts with Durango's portrait's mod, sadly.
    Durango's loading screen mod caused CTD, no other mods to conflict with it to explain why though
    -> I did NOT install any additional Napolean effects (maybe that's why?)
    Ultima black label mod overwrites durango's portraits, so you have to pick which you want to have more.
    brasel's town wealth and port fix mods conflict with bran's CAI tweaks used for economy CAI
    -> I did NOT remove bran's and switched in the wealth mods to confirm the mods worked though
    [/CONTENTBOX]

Default Re: 2021, mini mods that work together still

Nice, this will be useful for anyone who's not sure how to customize their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydyk View Post
    Yet, I've surprisingly found myself enjoying ETW more by using a mix of mini mods. Given many of the mini mods were last updated years ago, some as far as 2013, though some were a little more recent and only 3 years old .

I thought I'd post a list of the mini mods that I [KNOW work together (because I am running them) in the here and now. None of the mods I list are mine. I am basically posting this to save someone in the future some legwork in finding mini mods that work together.
    I know it took me at least a few hours to scour the forums for mini mods, read what they did, and by trial and error (download, run the game, play turns, play battles, change settings to see if it caused issues, and methodically see what caused CTD, then rinse and repeat) so I hope this spares
    someone some of that!
    You're not the only one who prefers a mix of mods, since the overhauls are typically the outlet for one single person's ideas. Rarely do any one of them hit all the right notes for all people.

Durango's loading screen mod caused CTD, no other mods to conflict with it to explain why though
    Ultima black label mod overwrites durango's portraits, so you have to pick which you want to have more.
    brasel's town wealth and port fix mods conflict with bran's CAI tweaks used for economy CAI
    -> I did NOT remove bran's and switched in the wealth mods to confirm the mods worked though
    That's strange. I've never heard of the loading screens causing problems before, after so many downloads (and I use them myself of course). And compatibility issues typically don't cause CTDs, unless db tables refer to file structures that are not a part of the vanilla game. Could it be a corrupted download?

Regarding the other mods with portraits in them. I wish more modders made their works more compatible with mixed and matched setups by separating the contents of the mods in categories that do only on thing. Separate battle FX, music, UI, etc. Otherwise it's as you discovered, you have to choose between one or the other (or bring out the pack file editor yourself).
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

I was also mystified by the CTD since I recall the mod was stated to be bug free. Indeed, the loading screens themselves showed up and all seemed fine until the loading bar filled, then it would CTD. However, it definitely was the screen mod. Removing the screen mod stopped the issue from happening and adding it definitively caused the crash.

But as you said, it may have just been a corrupt downloaded file. I'll download it again and try it again tomorrow. See if the issue happens again.
    I didn't try to redownload it since I was focused on adding all the other mods and getting to playing.

Hang on a minute. Durango's movies and portraits are not mods but movies. Therefore there is no need to add it to any mod file in order to load. Stick it into the data directory and it will load after all mods had loaded.
    Last edited by coolgit; June 14, 2021 at 04:32 PM.

[/CONTENTBOX]
    With regards to AUM conflicting with Durango's portrait mod, download 1.7 (1.8 is the latest) Durango's portraits are working on that version https://www.moddb.com/games/empire-t...phics-pack-1-7

As far as I can see the only difference between the versions is the 1.8 puts the AUM changes first as there's nothing different in the change logs between 1.7 and 1.8. I'm also running a spontoon mod and that also works in 1.7 and not in 1.8.