Thread: Is an emergent settlement possible?

Default Is an emergent settlement possible?

Is it possible to have a new settlement emerge on a particular event, or date?

For example, having the Teutonic Knights emerge in 1250 with 2 new settlements at Marienburg and Koenigsburg. Could this be done by defining the emergent settlements in descr_stat.txt with a kind of "dead until resurrected" provision? Obviously any agents or units at the locations would need to be displaced.

I appreciate from browsing the threads on emergent factions/hordes/spawned armies that the faction could be established, and take over an existing settlement, e.g. as per the Barons Alliance.
    Last edited by FootSoldier; June 06, 2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: Is an emergent settlement possible?

No, you cant.

You can only make some regions inacessible until a certain turn

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    No, you cant.

You can only make some regions inacessible until a certain turn
    I see. Thanks for letting me know. I'll admit it seemed like a stretch.

Hmm ... so could an inacessible region be in the middle of the campaign map, with the factions skirting it until made accessible? To follow the example, could Thorn be made inaccessible, with the Teutonic Knights set up and only active when the region became accessible? Would it be like the Americas in vanilla?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

You could but... wouldn't it be much more realistic to have that place be a crappy village with an event that siphons a few pop if it goes above 500 people so it wouldn't be upgradable, until a specific event that would give it +1000 population to make it serviceable?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    wouldn't it be much more realistic to have that place be a crappy village
    Yes, that might be realistic generally. I was thinking of the Teutonic Knights specifically. In 1211 they were granted lands in Hungary and defended the border against Cuman raids. They went astray with local politics and were expelled by the new king in 1225 (after which the Cuman raids resumed).

In 1226 the Polish Duke of Masovia asked them for help against the pagan Prussians, and granted them land, including the castle at Thorn. When the Teutonic Knights arrived they were already experienced in war against the Cumans and had a sizeable military force of mixed units.

So I'd like to reflect that historical situation. Maybe by setting them up in Thorn, making the region inaccessible, and using freeze_faction_ai teutonic_knights until the specific date and then unfreezing them and making the region accessible. Obviously there's map work to do as well as scripting. There are issues in a historical sense in just using them as emergent/spawned/horde as they would most likely immediately go to war with the Poles. Their relations should start positive/allied and fall over time.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

You could use the shadow faction or how it was called, that makes a faction emerge through another faction. Like the Barons in Britannia. Put a -1000 happiness there by event and the shadow faction will emerge. Then remove the -1000 happiness, add through script population, money and buildings and you would be fine, I think.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Yea, maybe what would make the most sense to do is to put there some small villages with some local historical names. Once you emerge the faction, you increase the level of the settlements and rename them