Thread: Crashes from many rivers

Default Crashes from many rivers

Hello, I am having some crashes resulting from adding many rivers.

They occur when the minimap selection switches between regions.
    In the added Screenshot when moving from south to north. ( marked in red)

I have fixed some crashes by changing province tiles that were interrupted by rivers.

In the very beginning I had a crash when I had one large rebel province.

I think I read before that these crashes result from pathway calculations.

Can one influence these by changing values in descr_pathfinding, descr_character ?

Is there another thing to watch out for? (maximum city distance between adjacent provinces)

Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IndiaE2red.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crashes from many rivers

I made an overlay of the two files and there is no doubt in my mind that the number of rivers in the large regions (foremost top right green one) is the reason for the crash. Not sure if the game can handle consecutive river crossing either (red marking).

Thank you for your reply.

About crossings next to each other. I was also surprised that it works, for now I use it for combing mountainpaths with rivers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NextCrossings_red.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	364958
    The battles also work fine and in my tests result in a river crossing battle.

For now I just add all rivers from Demis and will later remove the less important ones if no solution is found.
    Maybe the river crossings need not to be diagonal for the pathfinding calculation.

Also the connections from my testing are not strictly necessary. So I am a bit out of ideas on how to fix the crashes. I might split the larger provinces and see if it makes a difference.

Best regards

Blog Entries

Rivers are 3D elements, something that really throttles FPS (large areas of dense forests and high mountains are the main culprits). In this case it causes a crash if the density is too high in a large region.

First start by reducing region size in the river heavy areas.
    If that doesn't stop the crashing then start trimming the rivers themselves.

My suspicion is that these strat map calculations are done for all regions which are within the current viislbe area (red quadrangle in minimap), as the crash stopped when scrolling in.
    In the first screen shot the corners which are barely within outer regions seem to be the problem.I n the second screenshot I changed one province, such that the previous situation isnt possible and the crash stopped happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndiaEast_2PNG.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	979.1 KB 
ID:	364960
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndiaEast_2NoCrash.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	364961

So I think reducing the size of very large provinces and looking for the above situations seems to be a viable strategy

Btw I also tested my map without mountains and forests, but these didnt affect the crashes from my tests.

Thanks for your advice

Blog Entries

Your observation is correct - this is a scroll crash error. It gets compounded by large map dimensions as there is always the temptation to add more rivers then. A simple method to figure out if a scroll crash is connection to rivers: use a 'blank' map_features file.