Thread: Giving horde units to non-horde factions

Default Giving horde units to non-horde factions

Hello.

There is a certain horde faction which I want to fuse via script with another. The issue is, since it is a horde faction, its units are exclusive to it and disappear once I execute the "give_everything_to_faction" command. I tried giving ownership of the horde units to the faction I want them to join, but doing so results in the error log warning me of a script error (horde units being owned by a non-horde faction). Despite the game insisting that this is an error, I haven't yet figured what problems can result from it.

Any ideas? Could this situation possibly result in crashes or some other weird bug? How do I get rid of this error and still retain the desired effect, which is giving the horde faction armies to the non-horde faction during the campaign?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Giving horde units to non-horde factions

Units that aren't owned by the 'to' faction always disappear when using give_everything_to_faction - this isn't unique to horde factions. I've been using give_everything for a while now and I assure you there are no issues with the 'to' faction retaining these units by having ownership of them, even if the log may give an error. These types of non-fatal ownership errors in the log are usually nothing to worry about.

So you saying I can safely assign horde-especific units to a non-horde faction? That would be ideal. What if instead I turned the target faction into a horde in descr_sm_factions? Is there any downside to making all factions horde? I wonder, since you are not obliged to make them horde in every campaign even if they are marked as horde as descr_sm_factions.

And thanks for your time.
    Last edited by es157; May 30, 2021 at 06:39 AM.

You can safely assign ownership of any faction's units to any other faction regardless of whether or not either faction is a horde. Again, the units disappearing after give_everything has nothing to do with hordes.

There are no technical issues preventing you from turning all factions into hordes - it will work as expected. Many mods have done this including Thera TW. It helps AI factions stay alive a little bit longer without needing a faction revival script.