Thread: Domina - Series about Livia Drusilla

Default Domina - Series about Livia Drusilla

This is one of those shows that are so hidden in pay TV that people will probably miss out on the show but i watched it and i just have to say i am impressed. It's a really, really good show. The actors are really great (besides young Octavian in the first two episodes) and i think it gives a fresh take on the internal struggle within the early Julo-Claudi dynasty. How messed up they all are and Livia really is a monster, but a charming one. This is how you make a historical series about a strong women without making a fuss about it and loosing your way.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Praeses

Default Re: Domina - Series about Livia Drusilla

Sounds like a remake. If its depicting Livia as an evil mastermind then you may want to consult your Graves. The novels I Claudius and Claudius the God are based on the premise the first four emperors of the Julio-Claudian dynasty are selected for and maintained in power by the wiles of Livia. The TV show makes a fist of portraying the novels but of course loses some detail in the transition: that said Sian Phillips is absolutely perfect in the role.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

The housewives of Tarpeian Rock? Will have a go at it and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Sounds like a remake. If its depicting Livia as an evil mastermind then you may want to consult your Graves. The novels I Claudius and Claudius the God are based on the premise the first four emperors of the Julio-Claudian dynasty are selected for and maintained in power by the wiles of Livia. The TV show makes a fist of portraying the novels but of course loses some detail in the transition: that said Sian Phillips is absolutely perfect in the role.
    it's a completely new show, we all know about "I, Claudius".
    Optio, Legio I Latina