Thread: Tips for handling an ambush battle

Default Tips for handling an ambush battle

How would you handle an ambush? Were you ever ambushed in a campaign? I was ambushed just once in my case. I won the battle but I honestly can't tell if it was just a stroke of luck.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Tips for handling an ambush battle

Being ambushed can be a very different experience depending on the army composition on both sides. Have you ever tried ambushing a horse archer army? They simply gallop out of the trap and spread out to take shots at your ambushers, so they're effectively immune (or at least highly resistant) to ambushes. Maybe it's worth bringing extra cavalry against factions that are likely to try to ambush you, since they can charge any light ambushing units and distract the enemy, giving you time to form up your other units?

Ambushes in Rome 2 don't get too crazy until you start getting those army equipment traits (fireballs, pits, etc). Hitting an army with multiple fireballs will shatter formations and nullify the 20-30 seconds the enemy has to form an organized defense.

With normal armies, ambushing doesn't provide that much of an advantage IMO unless you outnumber the enemy or you're autoresolving. Though I'll echo Alwyn's advice on cavalry being able to make or a break a normal ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Ambushes in Rome 2 don't get too crazy until you start getting those army equipment traits (fireballs, pits, etc). Hitting an army with multiple fireballs will shatter formations and nullify the 20-30 seconds the enemy has to form an organized defense.

With normal armies, ambushing doesn't provide that much of an advantage IMO unless you outnumber the enemy or you're autoresolving. Though I'll echo Alwyn's advice on cavalry being able to make or a break a normal ambush.
    I wasn't talking about when you are the one who do the ambush to an AI army. I mean the other way round.

Have you ever tried ambushing a horse archer army?
    Yes. I have. And I just fought the battle as in a normal battle. I mean I just formed up normally and waited for the enemy to come. Chasing the enemy horse archers with your melee cavalry many times doesn't work specially if the enemy cavalry archers can outrun your melee cavalry.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; May 24, 2021 at 01:29 PM.