Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IWTE - Map Mesh Generator for Rome Remastered

Default Re: IWTE - Map Mesh Generator for Rome Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    The naming of winter files won't happen. Its basically because it only processes one set of data at a time so if you want winter textures you would simply copy the produced winter dds files (from the winter setup of textures you run) into a sub folder you would call winter or whatever folder name you decided to put the winter ones in. No need to change anything at the individual file level just set up the calling txt file to have a winter folder and a summer folder and copy the dds into it otherwise you would be making more work for yourself.
    yeah i got that, i found "EXAMPLE_descr_map_tiles.txt" and realised how it should work

also i dont know what is "fullstratmap.dae" supposed to do and where to put it, also i didnt saw anything about it on wiki

ok i relised i had to press "regenarate manifest" to get filelist.json

good news, i got it to load, just frame is going through the middle of the map as im missing frame. cas xD

i experimented little bit with textures, so i got snow covered mountains in summer, but what i noticed is that in original everything looks much more precise, like heights and textures and everything, but i dont know why is that, here are examples

you need our version of descr_aerial_map_tile_models.txt in your mod/data folder to sort out the borders... it should have been included with IWTE and with my texture pack thing

original RTW did a tile replacement thing for any high mountain ground_type and added those little peaks, it was a matter of taste if you liked that or not, as it was generally OK if kept to isolated peaks but got nasty if you had a lot of high mountain. We haven't emulated that so the heights tga you feed IWTE might need raising where you want high mountain / peak type effects.

We were also aiming for a more naturalistic effect than RTW...

i did put your "descr_aerial_map_tile_models.txt" but it didnt solve the problem, so now its files like "001_lod0.cas" that are making height map for remaster? maybe in future versions you could add option to emulate style of original rome, like you have with normals intensity, so make heights intensity for example... i experimented with options and textures to see what difference they make, so i got this, also is there any way i can change river bed colours and will future versions produce frame.cas? and do you know is it possible to change colours of rivers?
    Last edited by nightvvisher; August 02, 2021 at 11:18 AM.

river edge colour might become changeable - the actual blue of the river I can't spot a way of changing (or the sea) we're not controlling anything about that.

The read-me in my updated texture pack explains about the river/border stuff (you might have older version)
    Straightening Region Boundaries that Coincide with Rivers:
    ==========================================================

Region boundaries are generated by the game and, if adjacent, follow what would have been the river shapes generated by the old RTW map system.
    The algorithm to duplicate that for river meshes is not available, so instead IWTE straightens the boundaries by substituting standardised
    river overlay tiles which correspond to its river piece design. To install these in game copy the provided file:
    descr_aerial_map_tile_models.txt
    to:
    mod/data/descr_aerial_map_tile_models.txt

Copy the IWTE generated cas file:
    river_a.cas
    to
    mod/data/terrain/aerial_map/tile_models/river_a/river_a.cas
    If you have the correct text file you must be missing the river_a.cas in the correct folder position.

We're trying to fix some other issues (mapping and units and anims) so adding things like the frame is unlikely anytime soon - we'd thought most people would want to design their own!

ok, i fixed borders, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    We're trying to fix some other issues (mapping and units and anims) so adding things like the frame is unlikely anytime soon - we'd thought most people would want to design their own!
    This would be Great! Sooner or later i guess you guys did it & the tool will become truly Convenient for the average user~modder. GL

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Hoping to get next release out soon. Will not include the outer frame stuff as we were currently just working on the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newimage.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	365360
    This is built from TGA's. Textures take a long time to run (about 15 minutes in total) the mesh bit is around 20 seconds for vanilla.

looks nice, i would like to ask would it be possible to make textures for 4 seasons, like autum and spring also, as there already is mod for 4 turns per year in steam workshop?
    and question about IWTE, does it have some options for adding settlements to map or its just about settlement layout, i found programs like trivium independant map editor and stuff, but its buggy af or not working deppending on version and geomod dont fork for rome...

IWTE just creates one set of textures (albedos and Normals) at a time. The normals would be the same as they don't take into account the texture data. For the Albedos they are dependent on whatever textures you setup to use. Whilst you could use 4 different sets of textures to create 4 different sets of Albedos you need to remember that Remastered like OG supports 2 seasons only ie winter, summer. Modifications to trigger winter once every x turns is not actually the same as having 4 seasons.
    IWTE battlemap settlements are really aimed at M2. Rome stuff is all cas based so you can edit stratmap settlements via blender using either IWTE or Ferals tool set. I hadn't added anything to handle battlemap settlements for Rome
    You can edit the strat map TGA's in IWTE but its really only doing stuff you could do in a standard package like photoshop, gimp etc.
    I'm hoping to get the next version of IWTE out very soon which addresses the seam issues on the remastered tile piece system.

Latest IWTE release v21_10_A is out.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2741

with version 21_10_A - mostly RR map related.
    0) You HAVE To use the supplied river_A.cas in order to have borders that work.
    IWTE will generate it anyway but its reliant on YOU to put it in the right folder.
    1) This is primarily amending the map mesh creation when modding for RR :
    - The features.tga cliffs are now added which are supported by you adding an appropriate texture (climate related).
    - Rivers have been amended (Which is why you need the river_a.cas).
    - The normal TGA creation now merges texture data with the height map. It will merge a supplied grey scale bump map (or convert one) or default to use the supplied texture maps.
    the bump map should be named the same as the standard TGA but ending '_bump.tga'.
    This allows you to apply a stronger texture to the normal than just relying on the standard texture and its interpretation to grey scale.
    - It will also merge the supplied texture map regardless (only at a lower proportion though).
    - It adds a simplified ridge process.
    - it will boost low and high mountain heights to make up for the lack of high mountain cas data.
    - it will use directional heights when creating the normals (assuming a bottom left to top right height change)
    - it supports a high mountain related texturing by climate (this may get extended on later versions)
    - it does NOT support 4 way split/joins of rivers or rivers that cannot flow (ie single source squares)
    - it has a parameter to affect the TGA height scaling (to boost or decrease heights)
    2) Added additional options for Lz4 extraction/compression to handle single files and subdirectories.
    3) a few minor bug fixes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallerimage.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	406.9 KB 
ID:	365819

woow, nice update, ill try it soon

Latest version of IWTE IWTE_v22_02_A. has been released. I am assuming people are checking the main IWTE release thread so haven't really posted here for a while.

As far as I'm aware most mapping features are catered for using the standard game TGA's.

IWTE does do some extra bits which requires some extra TGA's but that's only useful for mappers experienced with the standard TGA set up.

main IWTE thread is : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2741

Great tool, I use it for texture conversion in Remastered. I tried to edit coastlines by generating the .cas and placing it in my modfolder but it had no effect. For example I removed the cliffs from Corsica and placed a region there, then I generated the coastline cas and placed it in the terrain folder but sadly no effect. The region is now there but the cliffs still are too. At least they seem to be optical only.

The coastline.cas is just the layer that gives the white surf effect. The cliff/beach etc is part of the whole mesh and texture, you'd need to either swap out the entire mesh and textures for IWTE generated ones, or manually edit the .cas file and texture for the relevant tile pieces if you want to keep the vanilla appearance.

If you're not even getting the surf going past the cliffs with the new coastline.cas then you might be missing some folder/text file setup required in the mod-folder to make it read it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123