Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWTE - Map Mesh Generator for Rome Remastered

Default IWTE - Map Mesh Generator for Rome Remastered

Wilddog's IWTE tool (version v21_07_A onwards) will now produce the map mesh pieces needed for the Rome Remastered 3d map from your base tga files, if supplied with basic textures for sea/fertility/mountains etc it will also now generate textures for each tiles including normals.

Coast and river meshes are also now produced and a river straightening system can be included to align borders with rivers.

The tool is available here:

A demonstration set-up for creating textures is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15rC...URt1IebwS/view

The map produced from that set up is available to play on Steam here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2556913124

There is some basic information about the process here: https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...ered_Functions

The process works purely from the tga files, you do not need to use any 3d modelling programs. If you can find base texture tiles to use for the ground_types, you also don't need to use any image editing software.

Default Re: IWTE - Map Mesh Generator for Rome Remastered

nice, i see now i can run that program, but first time when i downloaded it launch.bat would said failed to launch acces denied, something like that, i put it on desktop now, maybe it couldnt launch because windows 10 not giving full permisions or because my pc runs on cyrillic, i already had problems with program called "rocket dock" because encoding of its config file wasnt set to something, i cannot remember what, maybe i had to switch to "ansi" or from "ansi to something else, but i remember that it had problems operating on cyrillic, because config file would turn cyrillic letters in to: "?" question marks
    nice tool, thank you!

i put it on desktop now,
    preferably don't do that it needs to be in a 'real' folder like,
    C:/my_new_folder_name/
    (not in Cyrillic if possible, numbers for the folder name might work better?)

running it from desktop or 'documents' type Windows inventions means it struggles to find paths to other files

if you get an error in its command window please try and take a screen shot and post here.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    preferably don't do that it needs to be in a 'real' folder like,
    C:/my_new_folder_name/
    (not in Cyrillic if possible, numbers for the folder name might work better?)

running it from desktop or 'documents' type Windows inventions means it struggles to find paths to other files

if you get an error in its command window please try and take a screen shot and post here.
    here it is, i dont know what i did wrong first time, but something i did stopped it from working

It's trying to create a sub-folder for itself in the directory it's in. It will need to do that a lot, so we need to sort out permissions for it.

Try, put it somewhere else again... not in Program Files - in case Windows is twitchier about changes in there.

Do make yourself a new folder like C:/my_new_folder_name/ to put it in

If that on it's own doesn't work try right click the .exe (not bat) and 'run as administrator'

otherwise might need something in your windows settings or a specific permission for it... (I think my Windows security settings are set to "shut up and let me do what I want")

its in new folder, you can see folder is just called "iwte" i created it and extracted files there, i also tryed to run as admid but it was same... but when i put it on desktop it works fine... its probably something related to win10 it always asks for permisions and stuff, most anoying windows ever, win 8 was mobile shitt without any normal feature, win 7 ugly and slow, vista beautiful but bad and xp masterclass, xp was best and fastest, to bad its not supporting directx now, i would use xp if i could run directx for modern games on it...

The error log you have in the images says its in

C:/Program Files/IWTE

I meant just

C:/IWTE

or similar... I'm not actually sure if Win10 protects Program Files and sub-folders more than elsewhere, but Vista used to!

ok, its working now, so what ever it was its ok, i just wanna ask, when you finnish that tool, will it produce everything needed to port map like snow map and all other stuff added in remastered version?

That one wasn't even on the wish list! I suspect its easier to make the 2d stuff like that and the feral_map off the other 2d stuff (heights/climates)

and I haven't quite worked out what the snow map is meant to do, except I kept getting snow-covered farms in the desert, but the snow map should still have been technically the correct way up for my map as it's same climate orientation as vanilla...

i think snow map smoothens snow distribution, for example in your port of mundus magnus farms stay uncovered and there is lots of green dots everywhere while in original remaster map everything is totally white and snow covered

ah, that would make sense if it's just read from bottom left corner and uncovered areas = non-snow...

as the vanilla one's size didn't seem to tie up with anything, and the bits about snow on the actual textures are manually set, I hadn't thought about that in conjunction with the farming overlay!

On the subject of things I didn't think had an effect... I don't suppose you've noticed any way to get water_surface.tga to do anything
    ?

ok, so i run game without map_snow.tga and water_surface.tga, without snow tga all farms get snow even in egypt, but for water surface i dont see any change so map_snow.tga is just for farmlands and water surface does nothing from what i can see

do you know approximately date when we can expect update that will be able to produce coastline and other stuff needed to port mod?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

At the moment working on the textures and normals stuff. Trying to figure out some river /border issues also so coastline is behind that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    At the moment working on the textures and normals stuff. Trying to figure out some river /border issues also so coastline is behind that stuff.
    ok, thank you for your response, nice to know, im looking forward to using your tool

Version 21_07_A of IWTE has just been released, this now generates the textures, normals, coastline and river meshes (given the correct input!).

Instructions will be updated on the wiki shortly.

hey, can you plas help me, i downloaded new iwte and that folder called map mesh and when i run task called AMAP_vanilla_mesh_summer_task.txt it works, but when i put other tga files in "map-files" folder it doesnt work i put tga files from mod called mundus magnus elite, it was also used for total history mod i think that that tga ground types is using different colours than vanilla, so maybe thats making problem or its smth else i rly dont know....

ok, i tested some stuff, i put tga files from your mundus magnus and i got this error
    " C:\IWTE>IWTE_v21_07_A.exeexecutablepath = C:\IWTE
    Multithreading with maximum 12 threads
    Choose task text file
    filenamectl = C:/IWTE/MapMesh/iwte_tasks/iwte_create_map_pieces_task.txt
    Map regions size x (cols), y (rows) = 384 x 234
    Map tiles grid required x (cols), y (rows) = 13 x 8 piece size in metres = 30
    check1=land = 1088094
    check2=sea = 368178
    river chain count = 216
    number of outflows is not handled = 0
    column = 249 row = 96
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "IWTE_v21_07_A.py", line 49001, in run
    File "IWTE_v21_07_A.py", line 11823, in execute_process_ctlfiledatalist
    File "IWTE_v21_07_A.py", line 11901, in process_ctlfiledatalist
    File "WDstratmapping.py", line 6338, in task_create_map_pieces
    File "WDstratmapping.py", line 3596, in addrivers
    File "WDstratmapping.py", line 3110, in build_river_data
    File "WDstratmapping.py", line 5927, in build_river_feature_data
    ZeroDivisionError: division by zero
    Thread complete
    Completed - but cross check for errors in dos box"
    problem is with map features and rivers, but i dont know what im doing wrong...

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Check out the features TGA there are a couple of issues with that map. IWTE does not like that it has a source next to TWO rivers. That needs to be moved as its just something that should not have been set that way. Also check in case there a any 'loops of rivers splitting and rejoining. IWTE won't handle that at all times as it looks for a way 'out'. Think main problem was really just the source connections though.

map_features.zip

Attachment should be a map_features.tga that works for the mesh generation on a Mundus Magnus map

we fixed it a while ago and I forgot it needed it to get through the process

(tbh there's some bits in the original I'm surprised worked in game)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast