Thread: Negative Authority bug

Default Negative Authority bug

Hello.

I'm surprised that so few people have brought mention of this bug in all the years this game has been out. It seems inevitable that many people would experience it. Apparently, when you have a character with more negative authority points than positive, his total authority sum jumps to +10 (maximum) automatically.

If a character has zero authority, then gains a trait that gives -1 authority, he ends up having +10!!!

This is very frustrating because it's forcing me to remove every negative authority point from every trait, just to avoid the risk of any character ending up with a negative sum. But I would really appreciate if someone could give me an alternative to this extreme solution. Is there any other way to get rid of this bug?

Default Re: Negative Authority bug

Trait & ancillary attributes have an internal value that rangers from positive to negative infinity, and you can see this by querying the value using the Attribute condition. Realistically, this value is probably stored with a 32-bit signed integer so it doesn't actually go to ±. Attributes also have a display value that has real effects in game and this typically ranges from 0 to 10 (see here). What we see when we use negatives on a 0-10 range is probably an overflow value for the displayed integer.

Removing all negative attribute effects is one solution. You can also check that the attribute values are > 0 (or whatever the minimum may be for that particular attribute) in the triggers before assigning traits with negative modifiers.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Negative Authority bug

Authority is linked to chivalry\dread and uses it's mechanic I suppose, which is a progression list from 10 dread to 10 chivalry. Problem is that there is no negative authority and hence there is the 'flip'. Assuming that a heir's dread will turn to it's equivalent authority value it could be fixed by adding a condition in the triggers to check the authority level before applying a malus, eg 'and authority > 1' (not sure if zero would work).