View Poll Results: Would you help colonizing Mars if qualified? One way trip, small chance of success and gruesome death is guaranteed should you fail

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

8 61.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mars?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon11 Mars?

Default Re: Mars?

I am a big proponent of space exploration, and enthusiast to be honest, but I don't see much point in humans living there. An airless, dead, radioactive desert. No mosquitos, though, which is nice.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

We will transform the planet and make it live!

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Apart from scientific study, there's no worthwhile goal that could conceivably be achieved by man on Mars.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

This galaxy belongs to humanity now and forever.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon3 Re: Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Apart from scientific study, there's no worthwhile goal that could conceivably be achieved by man on Mars.
    A millennia ago no Mongolian would imagine they could be kings of Eurasia, being so poor, backward and insignificant as they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    This galaxy belongs to humanity now and forever.
    This galaxy and all other galaxies!

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    A millennia ago no Mongolian would imagine they could be kings of Eurasia, being so poor, backward and insignificant as they were.
    They would have remained all those things if they had concentrated their efforts on Mars!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I doubt that but one can always dream!

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I'll go but not with ing Musk

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Im not suicidal so no. Also, following the long standing tradition of expelling scum, i think it should be convicts (expendables) who should best be the first people sent to conquer Mars. All those lifers and such, send them to Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Im not suicidal so no. Also, following the long standing tradition of expelling scum, i think it should be convicts (expendables) who should best be the first people sent to conquer Mars. All those lifers and such, send them to Mars.
    I agree. Plus, it will be fun to learn how smoothly colonizing an airless radioactive desert a hundred million miles from nearest food or energy source will go with everyone onboard being murderous loonies, nitwit lowlifes and toothless serial rapists. I would wager that some problems may surface.

Now that im thinking about this, im wondering how many peiople would be willing to pay to move to mars.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I agree. Plus, it will be fun to learn how smoothly colonizing an airless radioactive desert a hundred million miles from nearest food or energy source will go with everyone onboard being murderous loonies, nitwit lowlifes and toothless serial rapists. I would wager that some problems may surface.
    It can't be too bad.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Nah reality would force them to cooperate nicely. Aussies turned out great aren't they?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Are you sure?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

All of Musk talk is incredibly and hilariously stupid.

I mean even with the moon once exploitation starts you have to think long and hard whether sending humans to do this job would be worth it or not. The answer I suspect to be the most efficient one being sending humans rarely there as handymen to fix whatever robots can't do, if such a job even can exist, and to send them home asap with no permanent stay. And this is just the moon we're talking here.

Other than for the lulz there's no reason whatsoever to send any person to the Mars. You will not terraform mars. The magnetosphere is gone, the planet core died and as a result all the water got blown right off, there's also no way there can be enough water stored in crevices beneath the surface that'd be enough to terraform even if you by some impossible miracle were able to create a protective magnetosphere.

Never mind the worst crime which is that Cookiegod day would be only once every 687 days, which is just too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Oh boy, Morty is making a convincing case for me to retract my vote and answer yes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Nah reality would force them to cooperate nicely. Aussies turned out great aren't they?
    I hate to be the serious guy again, but I feel obligated to remind you that contrary to common assumptions, Britain did not send just any convicts to Australia and definitely not the murderers, lowlifes, and rapists.

In Britain of that time, many things were punishable by prison time that would not be today or even punishable at all. Unless I have let myself be mislead, the convicts given a new start in the colony were non-violent offenders such as poachers, tax evaders, people found disrespecting the majesties, adulterers, prostitutes, and the like. People who could be trusted not to go on a killing spree but who would be much more useful building a colony than rotting away on the state's expense in a prison.

Given how serious violent crime (or the underlying mental traits) is hereditary, I think we would have seen some effects if Australia really was founded by the worst lot available at the time. Instead, at least in my subjective perception, Australians are just the kind of easy-going and fun-loving people that would have trouble adjusting to life in the rigid and conservative class society of Britain back in the day.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Stop ruining the dream with facts!

I refuse to believe we're stuck on this tiny planet forever and ever. Someone pls makes a religion and force converts everyone, starting with cookie!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

You're in luck, Elon Musk already did. Cuz dammit if I'm not going to believe everything he says. Including that the tincan Starships he's building are going to be capable to carry 100 people.

Who's not going to admire that beautiful dress of hers as it floats around with the violinist wearing it being fried by cosmic radiation?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

I remember in the past people used to tell us that if we sail far enough, we will fall of the edge of the world disk. Now they are telling us things like there is no atmosphere on mars and such. No way to know other than to find out ourselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast