Thread: Installation issues (Definitive Edition)

Default Installation issues (Definitive Edition)

So I have tried multiple installs, as well as a complete wipe of ETW from Steam and a reinstallation. I then loaded the 3.2 version of TAR up, using the installer. Each and every time, before the launcher comes up, I get a red box that says that data packs are not in the ETW data folder and to check my install, and that TAR will not work at this time. The launcher opens, I can choose to play one of the campaigns, it goes to the load screen, then ctd. Seeing as I don't know where things are supposed to be, just poking around the file folders doesn't help me.

I have the Steam Definitive Edition. Help!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Installation issues (Definitive Edition)

A picture would help. Can you take a picture with the red box and the "TAR mod packs is not in the data folder" message?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I have tried to attach the photo. No idea why I can't just upload an image from my drive and it must be from an URL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2021-05-14 162604.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Schef2006 View Post
    I have tried to post a picture three different ways but it is not showing up as a reply.
    That has to do with not being a full member (25 posts and be a member for more than a week).

Should you need assistance then report your post and request what you want to do before getting 25 posts.

I have tried to attach the photo. No idea why I can't just upload an image from my drive and it must be from an URL.
    I haven't seen that kind of message before, but it seems you haven't installed TAR properly.

So, I suggest that you try again and select the installation path to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Empire Total War (I've both Steam and ETW installed in the E partition) or where you have Steam installed (except for the UAC-protected C:\Program Files(x86) folder), because I have to otherwise ETF won't work.

But before you do that I also suggest that you manually delete any TAR related file(s) e.g a TAR folder, except for the TAR installation file of course.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I’m not super tech savvy so I’ll just explain my situation and you can maybe tell me what is wrong. Originally, I had etw in my C program filed folder, and etw in its accompanying steamapps folder on the same drive. That didn’t work.l when I ran the installer.

Then I reinstalled etw on my external D drive steam library, as steam now allows you to do that. Still didn’t work.

Are you saying I should move the steam exe to somewhere other than my c drive?

So just to try it out, I moved Steam to just Program files instead of the program files x86 file. I then made sure that ETW was installed in the same folder, and not on my external d drive. I ran the installer. I got the exact same message when I tried to load the game.

It seems the uninstaller does not uninstall every file associated with TAR. I don't know exactly which files were added by the mod, so I am in the process of uninstalling and having a fresh install of ETW. My filepath now is C: Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Empire total War.

Nuclear option. I Redoenloaded the install files. I must have had a bad mirror. New install worked.

I should note that when I ran the uninstall program my antivirus flagged a virus. So maybe one of the download mirrors has been hacked.

I’m not super tech savvy so I’ll just explain my situation and you can maybe tell me what is wrong. Originally, I had etw in my C program filed folder, and etw in its accompanying steamapps folder on the same drive. That didn’t work.l when I ran the installer.

Then I reinstalled etw on my external D drive steam library, as steam now allows you to do that. Still didn’t work.

Are you saying I should move the steam exe to somewhere other than my c drive?
    No, not the Steam.exe instead move the entire Steam folder to C:\ so it will be C:\Steam. Or move it to another partition, if you have more partitions than one (always C:\).

It seems the uninstaller does not uninstall every file associated with TAR. I don't know exactly which files were added by the mod, so I am in the process of uninstalling and having a fresh install of ETW. My filepath now is C: Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Empire total War.
    No. Moving Steam to the C:\Program Files are not a good idea as it is somewhat affected by UAC, but moving Steam to let say C:\Steam or to another HDD partition e.g D:\Steam or E:\Steam (I've Steam in the E:\ partition) or F:\Steam is better.

Nuclear option. I Redoenloaded the install files. I must have had a bad mirror. New install worked.

I should note that when I ran the uninstall program my antivirus flagged a virus. So maybe one of the download mirrors has been hacked.
    I'll leave that for hip63 to answer.

However, it is known that some antivirus can falsely detect virus when there is none.

What antivirus are you using?