Thread: Surnames and Epithets don't show

Default Surnames and Epithets don't show

Hello there. My issue now is probably one of the most stupid you'll hear of, but somehow I can't manage to make a certain faction leader (moors) to have his own surname. I tried adding a surname in the descr_strat file, and when it didn't show, I deduced it was because the guy was a leader and leaders don't have their surnames shown. Then I tried making a trait specifically for that guy and add an epithet to it that corresponds to the surname I intended him to have, but even the epithet isn't showing for some odd reason.

Does anyone know if arab factions simply can't have surnames and epithets? And am I right to assume that all faction leaders can't have (visible) surnames? If so, is there a way to change that? It's really frustrating to have to add hidden traits to all my leaders (and heirs) in order to make their surnames visible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to help me solve this little issue.

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Surnames and Epithets don't show

As far as I know, epithet traits added in descr_strat don't work (trait is added but epithet doesn't show up in the character's name). The solution is to give these characters labels in descr_strat and then add their epithet traits in campaign_script for the start of turn 0.

Code:
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart TrueCondition
       console_command give_trait character_label_1 HiddenEpithetTrait 1
       ;... etc. for all other characters with epithets
       terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    You're going to want to make it a hidden trait as it will show up at the bottom of their trait list.

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    As far as I know, epithet traits added in descr_strat don't work (trait is added but epithet doesn't show up in the character's name). The solution is to give these characters labels in descr_strat and then add their epithet traits in campaign_script for the start of turn 0.

Code:
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart TrueCondition
       console_command give_trait character_label_1 HiddenEpithetTrait 1
       ;... etc. for all other characters with epithets
       terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    You're going to want to make it a hidden trait as it will show up at the bottom of their trait list.
    Could I ask how to add labels to characters?

So it is true that leaders, heirs, and arab characters in general can never have surnames?

When you spawn the character (in descr_strat or campaign_script), add the 'label' tag to their character line. Here is an example for descr_strat:

Code:
    character    Thorin, named character, male, heir, age 22, x 400, y 420, portrait Thorin, hero_ability DWARVES, label thorin_1
    traits        Thorin 1, FactionHeir 1, Hero 1, DwarvenRace 1, HeroAbilityDwarf 1, Brave 2, GoodCommander 2, GoodDefender 2, HaleAndHearty 1, Loyal 2, LoyaltyStarter 1, RansomChivalry 1, ReligionStarter 1
    ancillaries    prince_dwarves, dwarven_music, ironhills_sword, oakenshield, orcrist
    army
    unit        Erebor Bodyguard                    exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    and for campaign_script:

Code:
                        spawn_army
                            faction turks
                            character    GandalfA, named character, x 164, y 379, direction S, hero_ability GANDALF, battle_model gandalf, label gandalf_1
                            unit        Dunedain Elite Cavalry            exp 4 armour 1 weapon_lvl 1
                        end
    My mod doesn't use surnames, but I think that's correct that leaders and heirs cannot keep their surnames once they get their expanded.txt titles. However, they can still have epithets and titles concurrently. I'm not sure what you mean by Arab characters not having surnames. That could simply be due to the fact that some factions don't have surname lists in descr_names.txt. There is certainly nothing special in that regard about the culture, and I think the only hard coded aspect of the islam religion is participation in jihads (although this isn't confirmed).

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Definitely nothing special about arab/any factions in this this regard, it works the same for all the factions. Some just dont have surnames at all

Leader/heirs dont have surnames visible no matter what you do (replaced by the title I guess), but they can have the epithet as shown above (but it can be replaced by other epithets). If you really want a specific leader to have his surname, you might also give him a unique first name that includes the surname (so for example the name isnt Richard, but Richard Plantagent), but that requires a spare faction spot to use the method (because if you dont use a unique faction, any general in the faction could randomly become Richard Plantagent.... or even worse, Richard Plantagent Plantagent )

I appreciate both responses. Seems you are all correct. The reason why my Arab characters were lacking surnames is not because they are Arabs, but because they are leader and heir.

It's a drag that I'm not allowed to give them surnames in the usual way, but I'm well-versed in all the possible alternatives, i.e. giving them surname-like epithets, surname-like first names, and so on. What caused me to think Arabs can't have surnames is that my Arab leader didn't only until I added the line "sub_faction x" before his name in descr_strat, thus assigning him to a different faction of origin. This apparently allowed him to have a surname, despite being a leader.

Just curious, is this phenomenum I experienced something that other users are aware of, or did I just discover a new feature? I find this "sub_faction" line very underused by modders, despite how useful and convenient it is. I wonder if there are any negative points about using it that I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by es157; May 15, 2021 at 12:13 PM.

The sub_faction tag requires the character name to be pulled from the specified faction's names list in descr_names. This is probably why he got a surname when you added that tag - the sub_faction has a surnames list but the owning faction does not. What's surprising is that this worked for the leader. I presume this means you got a character with a leader title and a surname at the same time which, according to the received wisdom Jadli and I have seen, should be impossible. Using the sub_faction tag for non-slave_faction factions is known (it can be used to give descr_strat characters foreign names and battle model animations but doesn't work in campaign_script), but you may be able to claim using the sub_faction tag to grant surnames to leaders/heirs as an original discovery.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Interesting, sounds more like a bug tbh

What sub_faction did you use? The one of the same culture and with the same names? If you use other, it could mess up his bodyguatd/units I assume

Have you tried using the same faction that he belongs to, as the sub faction? Perhaps it would work as well..

Does it survive the turn though? And he still had the title and the surname, right? And what happens if he gets an epithet?

Also, perhaps one could conjure something with this featue of americas DLC, not sure if anyone ever tested properly what it all can do in combinations with other things...

Code:
    faction    spain, balanced smith
    ai_label         default 
    denari    30000
    denari_kings_purse    1500
    name_faction spy aztecs
    Hence, Spain is using aztec names for spies, so should be def possible to do it for named_characters, and so on...
    Last edited by Jadli; May 16, 2021 at 01:58 AM.

It is definitely possible that it was a bug. I haven't done enough testing to see if it sticks, because I ended up using the epithet formula via script, but it was interesting while it lasted.

One man's bug is another man's feature. I'm sure someone will have used for this... however, I tried using the sub_faction tag to give a leader his title and a surname simultaneously, but the surname doesn't show up.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Epithet and titles will replace the surname of a character, it's certainly worth it to explore if the sub_faction or name_faction approach (latter will only effect newly recruited agents\newly created characters, eg birth, MotH) migth work otherwsie.

Question also remains if name_faction will actually generate surnames as it is originally intended for agents that do not spawn with a surname.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 20, 2021 at 11:11 PM.