Thread: Population Problems with the Spartan Unique Building Chain

Default Population Problems with the Spartan Unique Building Chain

I have been playing a campaign as Sparta and i have noticed some problems with the city of Sparta itself. Several times throughout the campaign the Homoioi population would massively drop for absolutely no reason whatsoever(btw I have not recruited so much as a SINGLE homoioi unit in the entire campaign except to transfer population). The population starts at 700, then one turn it went to 300 for no reason. After many turns and bringing in homoioi population from other cities, I was able to bring up the population to about 1,000....but then it dropped by half again one turn just because I built the tier 3 spartan city building. It seems like there might be something wrong with the building chain itself.

Looking at population_modifiers.lua script it looks like the tier 3 and 4 of the Spartan city building have substantially lower population boost rates than other similar buildings. This doesn't explain the massive population drops though.

Default Re: Population Problems with the Spartan Unique Building Chain

Not sure about it dropping that much in a single turn. One thing that does happen is that populations do migrate from region to region depending on a large number of factors. At the same time that the number drops in one region, is there another region that experiences an increase? Also there's a tooltip on the region that can show you some of the factors that contributed to the population change.

Its possible that the migration is happening to Athens but immigration is very toned down in the mod so it shouldn't be that much.

My understanding was that the bug of having massive population drops was based on the disband bug we recently had but was fixed. Basically, if you disband a large amount (especially the general unit included) it would take the pop instead of giving it back. The act of building something shouldn't use pop as far as I know, but I will look into it.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I can confirm that population massive drops happen without having any other settlements, as i play a 120 turn turtle campaign without any conquered settlements, just sparta

Population drops happpened when upgrading the sparta city chain and hitted homoi and periokoi pop drastically

Thanks I will check it out

I think one thing contributing to it is the garrisons. Special spartan units are added at various tiers and use pop 1 type. I am not sure if that is the entire issue, though.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

I have a similar problem with Carthage. Population is very scarce for Phoenicians, Liby-Phoenicians and Subjects and can't play with faction elite units so I just used a submod to give up the population system entirely.

If you are over recruiting in a specific region or expecting pop 1 to be super plentiful, then yes you will run into issues. Thats sort of the entire point of it.

That is different from pop 1 randomly disappearing without being used by the system.

Sorry for necroing this, but the bug persists in 1.3, Spartan 1 and 2 class massive drops after building or researching pop related buildings

Only 1 settlement (sparta) no fighting or anything whatsoever that can explain it.