Thread: Seasons for Sengoku Jidai & RotS

Default Seasons for Sengoku Jidai & RotS

Get it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2485027921

I know no one's checking TWC anymore, but hey, gotta pay my respects. Here's what it does:

Introduces seasonal effects to Sengoku Jidai (main campaign) and RotS, improves seasons in FotS. Unlike the vanilla FotS (and all the other mods I've seen on the workshop) changes apply to both the player and the AI factions. Rather than adding a new core mechanic, the goal is to bring more flavors to campaigns and represent the ebb and flow of seasons.

Sengoku Jidai & RotS
    Autumn: -5% to unit replenishment, +20% to farm income
    Winter: -5% to unit replenishment, -20% to farm income, -25% campaign movement range
    Spring: +5% to unit replenishment, +1 happiness
    Summer: +5% to unit replenishment, +25% campaign movement range

FotS
    - Seasonal effects in FotS used to apply only to the player. Now they correctly apply to the AI factions.
    - Vanilla effects weren't really well thought. -5% movement debuff was too small to have any effect, while the farm debuff in autumn, the rice harvest season, made no sense.
    - Since seasons last for more turns, effects are lighter than SJ&RotS.

Autumn: -5% to unit replenishment, +10% to farm income
    Winter: -5% to unit replenishment, -10% to farm income, -15% campaign movement range
    Spring: +5% to unit replenishment, +1 happiness
    Summer: +5% to unit replenishment, +15% campaign movement range

Issues

Note that all of the following are present in the base game and have nothing to do with this mod.

- The first season at the campaign start does not apply any effects.
    - In FotS, movement effects do not apply on the first turn of the season and they may still be present in the first turn of the following season.
    - A notification appears at every season change, can be somewhat annoying in SJ&RotS as seasons change every turn.

Compatibility
    Compatible with everything except mods changing turns-per-year.

Notes & Planned Features

- While the effects are more noticeable than vanilla FotS, they are still pretty light and they cancel each other out. The reason is that the AI most likely doesn't understand seasons (this probably applies to all TW games), so heavier effects would disproportionately benefit the player.

- There's a set base replenishment rate (probably 8%) and seasonal effects cannot reduce it further than that. I'd like to make replenishment more dependent on climate, but that stuff seems mostly hardcoded.

- To give an idea about campaign movement, in the base game cavalry units have 20 movement points while infantry has 15, and artillery 12. With a 25% reduction, cavalry movement will be the same as UNMODDED infantry unit (so still 15 points). A 40% reduction brings that down to artillery movement.

- I may separate movement buffs&debuffs for armies and navies, with reductions for the latter. Needs testing.

- There's a small chance that I'll include extreme weather conditions. The problem is I don't know a lot about the climate of Japan, but it seems more complex than the usual. Monsoon months and widely differing conditions between regions don't fit well with 4turns/seasons-per-year and just adding extreme winter/summer wouldn't be right. Since there's no grouping for regions, I'd need to add seasonal effects for each province separately, which would be very time-consuming and may not even add anything meaningful to the game. If any Japanese climate enthusiasts can come up with a simplified model (and provide sources&reasoning) I may think about it.

Default Re: Seasons for Sengoku Jidai & RotS

Huh. Had no clue that the AI wasn't affected by the seasonal changes. Interesting!