Thread: Can patches save this?

Decanus

Default Can patches save this?

Hello folks
    Has there been any announcement regarding patches for this game? My decision on whether or not I will purchase and play this hinges on if the developers will fix some of the glaring issues and attempt to fix the AI. Even so, I'm not so hopeful patches can achieve all that much...

Kind regards
    SKSlave

Default Re: Can patches save this?

There will be patches for sure, some will adress stability and performance, and some will open the game more up for mods i guess. They are stil working on it, but i would assume that they also keep an eye on how well the game sells even if i think thats a wrong approach. RTW lives on its mods (for me), they should keep the price high, it will do fine in the long run.

What are your problems with the AI? It works decent in my view, but i never had much hope that it will get much better in Remastered. For me the UI is the biggest issue, especially the city one-line building view and the recruitment and construction panels are a pain. Lets see what they will fix in the next months.

Whats also a problem is that the time from the anouncement to the release was really short, so there wasnt much time to work in critics from viewers and early access players. A longer first patch phase after an overall stable release (for me) isnt a bad sign honestly.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by SKSlave View Post
    Hello folks
    Has there been any announcement regarding patches for this game? My decision on whether or not I will purchase and play this hinges on if the developers will fix some of the glaring issues and attempt to fix the AI. Even so, I'm not so hopeful patches can achieve all that much...

Kind regards
    SKSlave
    Same. I'm sure mods will bring a lot of improvements like for the original game, but, with the current UI, AI and pathfinding I saw on streams, this is a broken game. Hope the devs will fix it, but I have many doubts.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by RomanSpoon View Post
    Same. I'm sure mods will bring a lot of improvements like for the original game, but, with the current UI, AI and pathfinding I saw on streams, this is a broken game. Hope the devs will fix it, but I have many doubts.
    I see people whinging about the UI often, though they never seem to give a reasonable argument. I'm gonna address my post to anyone with similar views as RomanSpoon, not him specifically (so don't feel targeted haha I can see plenty of youse are here anyway), and I'd challenge anyone to change my mind because all arguments I've found really are just dog turd.

The notifications is a good place to start, often they'll say it's a "click-fest", though in og rtw, 10 messages would be dismissed in 10 clicks. In remastered, it takes exactly 2 clicks to remove all notifications. Remastered also categorises notifications into 3 easily digestible mini-interfaces, allowing you to quickly and easily manage through the plethora of irrelevant messages that pop up in the mid to late game. As opposed to OG rtw's system, which is: turn starts, begin hearing woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh, right click 4 times to dismiss, woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh, right click 4 times to dismiss...

So many of the remastered UI changes fall under this trend: settlement details; unit card panel; building interface; building tree (this one especially is amazing now); faction and economy summary menus; the addition of the strategic map filters; selecting a province will highlight it's trade and road connections on the map... I feel like I could go on for ever.

All these changes keep the UI out your face more, and allow the player to see more information, more easily and intuitively. More more more, it's lovely.

Essentially if I want to click on something and see more about it, I will, and the newer system makes that much easier than the older system. That's what UI is designed for. To stay out your way, do its job, and tell you what you need to know. Not to look like the cover art for a 1980's Adventure Quest boardgame, occupy half the screen, and be as obnoxious and intrusive as possible (I'm looking at you EB, even though you're the best mod of all time )

But hey, don't get me wrong. The old UI was pretty good for 2004, and I'm sure many people have become attached to it, especially after all the lovely modded ones came out. But UI design, and game design in general, has come a long way in the last 17 years fellas, like, incredibly far. I don't know what else to tell ya other than, maybe you're wrong? Maybe give it a try?

Maybe stop telling a company to spend money "fixing" their game for your tastes, even though the game is selling just fine and plenty of us are enjoying the hell out of it, and you literally haven't bought the product your are at this moment complaining about. Like, no, please don't change to UI back to the 2004 model, I enjoy a usable interface on a reasonable screen resolution thank you.

Additionally I'd like to ask, because I'm a little confused I'll admit (no thanks to the vagueness of opposing arguments/complaints). Exactly what is it that everyone wants changed with the UI? Like, exactly what?

Also I feel like people fail to define "Remaster" properly and I'm not sure exactly what they were expecting? If you like the original game, play the original game. If you like the 2021 game, play the 2021 game. I really don't understand the mindset of some people.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; May 17, 2021 at 10:08 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus Splenus View Post
    I see people whinging about the UI often, though they never seem to give a reasonable argument. I'm gonna address my post to anyone with similar views as RomanSpoon, not him specifically (so don't feel targeted haha I can see plenty of youse are here anyway), and I'd challenge anyone to change my mind because all arguments I've found really are just dog turd.

The notifications is a good place to start, often they'll say it's a "click-fest", though in og rtw, 10 messages would be dismissed in 10 clicks. In remastered, it takes exactly 2 clicks to remove all notifications. Remastered also categorises notifications into 3 easily digestible mini-interfaces, allowing you to quickly and easily manage through the plethora of irrelevant messages that pop up in the mid to late game. As opposed to OG rtw's system, which is: turn starts, begin hearing woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh, right click 4 times to dismiss, woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh, right click 4 times to dismiss...

Except it's confusing: with OG RTW you would get notifications only for the current turn, remastered forces you to manually clean at the end of each turn.
    The old system had a much clearer distinction between events as well, so you had 10 notifications but often you only needed to care about 2-3.

So many of the remastered UI changes fall under this trend: settlement details; unit card panel; building interface; building tree (this one especially is amazing now); faction and economy summary menus; the addition of the strategic map filters; selecting a province will highlight it's trade and road connections on the map... I feel like I could go on for ever.

Except that you get a cardinal sin in UI design: overlapping windows that you cannot move, which is something that was not seen since DOS days.

All these changes keep the UI out your face more, and allow the player to see more information, more easily and intuitively. More more more, it's lovely.

Try playing in 1080p, you will have to constantly wrestle the UI for screen space and it's hard to notice the new notifications. And no, developing a game expecting everyone to play in 4k is not a good decision, especially as it's still far from common.

Essentially if I want to click on something and see more about it, I will, and the newer system makes that much easier than the older system. That's what UI is designed for. To stay out your way, do its job, and tell you what you need to know. Not to look like the cover art for a 1980's Adventure Quest boardgame, occupy half the screen, and be as obnoxious and intrusive as possible (I'm looking at you EB, even though you're the best mod of all time )

Funny enough, things like removing the ability to drag&drop ancillaries between FM sent UI design back to the 1980s. I swear remastered made me click almost as much as 1992's Siege by Mindcraft.

But hey, don't get me wrong. The old UI was pretty good for 2004, and I'm sure many people have become attached to it, especially after all the lovely modded ones came out. But UI design, and game design in general, has come a long way in the last 17 years fellas, like, incredibly far. I don't know what else to tell ya other than, maybe you're wrong? Maybe give it a try?

Try managing 20+ settlements having to care about your FM traits and ancillaries and something more complex than vanilla's building tree. It would take you an hour to manage an XC Seleucid campaign with this interface

Maybe stop telling a company to spend money "fixing" their game for your tastes, even though the game is selling just fine and plenty of us are enjoying the hell out of it, and you literally haven't bought the product your are at this moment complaining about. Like, no, please don't change to UI back to the 2004 model, I enjoy a usable interface on a reasonable screen resolution thank you.

Check Steam's survey about resolutions then come back and tell us what's reasonable.

Additionally I'd like to ask, because I'm a little confused I'll admit (no thanks to the vagueness of opposing arguments/complaints). Exactly what is it that everyone wants changed with the UI? Like, exactly what?

Also I feel like people fail to define "Remaster" properly and I'm not sure exactly what they were expecting? If you like the original game, play the original game. If you like the 2021 game, play the 2021 game. I really don't understand the mindset of some people.
    My comments are in bold. If you're not convinced, I may do a side-by side analysis uin detail when I do get the time and motivation to fire this up again.
    In short, there are enough UI cardinal sins that it made me feel back in the Windows 3.1 era.
    This doesn't begin to touch lack of optimization (it's supposed to be multicore yet loading times are worse than RTW and M2TW) unclear queues, remapped keys for absolutely no reason (muscle memory matters!) and poor palette choice.
    The Best Is Yet To Come: